What would you do?

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
Recently I took my blown 2010 Mustang GT to my local Ford dealership for my 90K service (*first mistake I know ... when I bought the car I got the prepaid service plan since I wasn't planning to have any mods). I informed them in advance that I had mods (see sig) and the service manager said he’d arrange to have someone who understands enough not to muck up my car.

To make a long story short I got it done and, as I was driving home, the check engine light came on.

I called the assigned service agent we’ll call R. R said that, as long as the car was driving well it shouldn’t be a problem. I will add here that I was planning to schedule a follow up to get something else done and he said he’d take a look at the the issue then.

The next day I drove to work and back (160 miles total) with the warning light on. But when I got home the engine “leaned out” (off the scale of the A/F gauge) in my driveway. I popped the hood and noticed that the driver’s side JLT oil separator was completely out of the PCV hose circuit and the hose was open to air. I couldn’t reconnect it because the hose was just sheared off. (see pics)

A420C3B3-0395-43C2-857F-70AEE66E4DEF_zpsnyfvztzy.jpg

7C675406-35DF-4D86-8FC9-73032997924A_zpsgjuqf1xs.jpg

B854E1CF-EF94-4392-8D43-85552EA420D5_zpsve0n3mht.jpg

I missed the next day of work and had my bro, Nick (s197 GT on the forums), take a look. We called and spoke to R, the service agent, who immediately denied any knowledge of this. R then let us speak to the mechanic who worked on my car.

Interestingly the mechanic said that, when he serviced my car, he noticed an oil leak around the oil separator. The hose tore off the separator when he tugged on it for a closer inspection. He also stated that he told the service agent all about what happened.

This time R got back on the phone but changed his story. He now claimed he told me all about it. I honestly don't recall him mentioning it at all.

Now that I look at the work order it does mention the JLT fittings leaking, but I'm certain I would have remembered if he actually brought it to my attention. It doesn't mention that the hose was completely sheared.

I don’t blame the mechanic for pulling the separator off because I can imagine how the hose might have been weak. If they told me about it up front I would have been a lot more understanding. I’m just guessing R thought he was covering their assess so I wouldn’t hold them liable for a $120 part. So maybe he chose to reattach the part with hose clamps and I was sent home driving my supercharged car with a separator that would inevitably fall off.

I’m really pissed when I imagine the service agent thinking that protecting their liability for a small part was more important than the integrity of my engine or my personal safety.
Am I making a bigger deal out of this than I should? Was their obligation to just document the leak? Then again maybe the mechanic was lying and never told him about it?

I already wrote to the service manager and sent my complaint up the chain.

Generally I’m not a complainer and I let most things slide. But I get more and more pissed every time I think about this. And I really don’t know how they’re supposed to make things good. I’m thinking I was just lucky the oil separator flopped completely off in my driveway and not at 120mph. Am I wrong to imagine that something catastrophic could have occurred? I do hop on it a few times during my 160 mile commute to work and back.

Could there already be some consequential damage because of this?

What would you hold them liable for? Had I been told up front I could have rented a car to get to work instead of losing a day of pay (I’m a contract physician who gets paid by the hour) trying to figure it out. It's scary imagining the oil separator falling off on the freeway during boost and it knocking the fan or getting caught up in the belt and pulleys. Am I being realistic about that scenario?

No harm done, right? But I'm not comfortable letting this slide. It looks like a representative from the parent company that owns this Ford Dealership is trying to reach me. I'm not sure what to tell him.

What would you do?

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
As long as no major damage was done I'd buy a new fitting, hose, etc. and repair it myself.

I'd also start doing my own work or find a speed shop to do it. What's involved in the 90k service? More than likely it's an oil change, filters, and inspections. Maybe spark plugs. There isn't much in the way of service on new vehicles.

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
As long as no major damage was done I'd buy a new fitting, hose, etc. and repair it myself.

I'd also start doing my own work or find a speed shop to do it. What's involved in the 90k service? More than likely it's an oil change, filters, and inspections. Maybe spark plugs. There isn't much in the way of service on new vehicles.
The new fittings just arrived and I'm putting them in today.

The reason why I went to Ford is because I had the prepaid service plan when I got it. This 90K is the last visit. They pretty much just do oil, filters, plugs etc.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I think the biggest error was assuming the dealership would be the best place to have the service work done. Most dealerships have a couple good techs which handle the heavy lifting on complicated jobs and a bunch of 'less qualified' people to handle the basics. Bringing in your car for fluid changes means you're getting the youngest, newest, least experienced kid in the shop to paw all over your supercharged Mustang. Better off asking your neighbor's son to do it for you.

Edit- Just saw your reply to Bruce and this is why service plans mean absolutely nothing to me and I wouldn't use them even if they were provided free. The last thing I want is to be obligated to let the dealership's newest trainee learn how to do an oil change by practicing on my car.

Last edited:

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest error was assuming the dealership would be the best place to have the service work done.
I should have explained that I had the prepaid service plan when I purchased it. I pretty much asked them not to touch anything that wasn't a Ford part.
Most dealerships have a couple good techs which handle the heavy lifting on complicated jobs and a bunch of 'less qualified' people to handle the basics. Bringing in your car for fluid changes means you're getting the youngest, newest, least experienced kid in the shop to paw all over your supercharged Mustang. Better off asking your neighbor's son to do it for you.
Yeah. What can I say? I'm a pretty damn good doctor ... I'm not ashamed to admit I'm pretty lost when it comes to my own vehicle.

Last edited:

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its a he said you said type deal. Unfortunately from my point of view you are partially to blame. With all of the info out there about the plastic fittings on the JLT separators failing you should have emailed Jay and got the updated metal fittings. Most of the time he sends them for free because he knows they break. If you would have been proactive on a part that is known to fail, neither you or the dealer would have anything to worry about. I doubt anything happened to your engine if it was shut down pretty quickly. Pull the plugs and have a look at them.

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
Its a he said you said type deal. Unfortunately from my point of view you are partially to blame. With all of the info out there about the plastic fittings on the JLT separators failing you should have emailed Jay and got the updated metal fittings. Most of the time he sends them for free because he knows they break. If you would have been proactive on a part that is known to fail, neither you or the dealer would have anything to worry about. I doubt anything happened to your engine if it was shut down pretty quickly. Pull the plugs and have a look at them.
Yeah, I could have kept myself informed about the plastic fittings.
My wife and I produced two kids since I got the car - now my time is their time.
I barely have time to even visit the forum anymore.

The new fittings just arrived from JLT.

I have no interest in getting into "he said - she said" ... I guess I'm just pissed because the guy actually pulled it off completely.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I've had my new car for 3 weeks. I bought it out of state at a dealership 375 miles away. The only way it will EVER see the inside of the local dealer's service department is if the MT82 transmission falls apart and I want it warrantied, or if it develops electrical issues beyond the diagnostic ability of my local mechanic. I think of the dealership as a last resort because I always get pissed off dealing with them. All the local dealers treat their customers like ignorant money trees and I hate being lied to or taken advantage of.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah its sad. Even if I was offered free oil changes etc I wouldn't take them. I just don't trust your average dealer mechanic. Glad you got your car home safely.

Mikes06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I would be pissed also. You would expect your car to leave the dealership service dept in good shape but like you found out that's not usually the case. Perfect example, my brother in law is a mechanic at an Audi dealership and I wouldn't let him change the wiper blades on my car.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back