What's your favorite Wax/Polish?

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
The worst wax to remove when applied incorrectly hands down is Meguiars #16 Mirror Glaze. Although it's been long discontinued due to VOC Regulations. I'm glad I have a few tins of it left.

Cooter

forum member
Reaction score
My worst one was Mother California Gold in a can. I couldnt get that stuff away fast enough.

I've tried M16 and wasnt overly impressed with it. One thing that is cool about that wax is how long its been around (like 50 years). Eshine.ca still sells it in Canada and Chris will ship it to the US if you need some.

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
So I have to admit, I think I was a little hard on the wax at first. It may have been the fact that it took up most of my Sunday afternoon/night that I was disgusted by it. But I changed the bulbs in the garage and the car was really shining bright. I think I was tired and jumped to conclusions. It looks really, really good right now. Not the deepest shine, but a very colorful luster and good shine to it. Being said that, I'm not sure I would use it again. I took some of my dress up pieces and brought them into the house. After being warmed up, I washed and waxed them. It was still super hard to get the wax off, even with warmer temps. So I'm confident that wasn't the reason.

I did order some Obsessive Detail Wet Wax. I'm gunna throw a coat on over it(try a small spot first to see how it look). I think it might really give a nice gloss on it. From a few guys I talked to(and seen some pics), I think I'll try the Wet Obsession Wax next time around.

On a positive note, I did buy the Griots Speed Spray and I like it so far. Nice, clean and lubricated spray that leaves no residue behind. Its gunna be great for the car shows come spring/summer. I got tired of the Meguire's Stuff, never have any luck with it. I hear Poorboy's is really good too.

Should I wipe down the car with a detailing spray(such as the speed spray), before I lay another coat of wax on? Won't hurt right(granted the spray has no abrasives in it)?

Appreciate it guys, I'll post up some pics as soon as I can

Cooter

forum member
Reaction score
Justin sales some great products. His wet obsession is a very good wax. What I like about it is, no matter how thick you put it on, its always a breeze to remove. Its his own wax. He spent alot of time working on that wax and getting it to his specs.

Justin also sales some great microfiber towels!!

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
He was very easy to talk to and informative. I like a man who sticks behind his product.

I didn't buy any towels yet. But I do need to mention that the towels that came with the Griots wax kit were really, really good. So much so, that when I washed them they came out very clean(they were white and there was not a spec of wax on them). I've gotten some towels before that are just a nightmare to clean since you're not supposed to use harsh agents on them. But these were cake and weren't expensive.

LegendLives

Reaction score
He was very easy to talk to and informative. I like a man who sticks behind his product.

I didn't buy any towels yet. But I do need to mention that the towels that came with the Griots wax kit were really, really good. So much so, that when I washed them they came out very clean(they were white and there was not a spec of wax on them). I've gotten some towels before that are just a nightmare to clean since you're not supposed to use harsh agents on them. But these were cake and weren't expensive.

Let me know how you like it, and try some layering.

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
I will. As long as its not a PITA to take off, I'll put two coats if I like it after the first. Hell, with the Griots and two coats of his the wax will be one for years!(car rarely sees the light of day unfortunately).

So no one answered my question: would it smart to spray some of the Speed Shine(quick detailer) on the car to get excess wax/dust off before I apply another layer? Makes sense too right?

Cooter

forum member
Reaction score
Wet Obsession isnt hard at all to take off. You can put that stuff on thick and it comes off just as easy. Put it on thin though. Save product and still get the same look.

Speedshine should be fine. After you put a coat down, the SpeedShine should remove whatever left over wax. So it should help with product build up. Catch them in the right light and it can look like holograms.

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
lol.

Well I put a test coat on a small section of the car and it came out great. It gave the paint a slightly more glassy look and very glassy feel. The Griots Wax did a good job at an initial layer but its amazing how "rough" it is on the parts I didn't put the Wet Wax on vs the parts I did(and its still smooth on the non Wet Wax parts, just not as smooth). I know its b/c I have two coats of wax, but still surprised how much smoother it got. The more attention I pay to the car, the more it could use a clay barring. I don't think I'll do it in the winter, but come spring I will. I'm gunna finish the coat of wax and then might call it a winter for cleaning. Got some other goodies that I need to start giving some attention too.

Cooter

forum member
Reaction score
To tell if it needs claying, put your hand in a zip-lock bag and glide it gently over the car after washing it. You'll be able to find stuff imbedded in the paint this way.

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
Cool. I'll remember that. My friend is a detailer and he said said it needs it. I've never done it before so I'll practice on my GTI first.

VistaStang

Reaction score
Adam's all the way here. Not too picky about the temps its applied in, plus Adam is a great guy to do business with. He has the best customer service hands down.

Cooter

forum member
Reaction score
I've noticed when I've clayed my car that the back bumper below the tail-lights gets alot of embedded grime. I was amazed at the amount of junk that came out of the paint there. I need to clay my car again but its way to cold to be doing that down here in Mississippi without a shop (which I would donate a testicle for)right now.

Adam's does make some fine products. I would really like to try some of their Americana wax. With all these deals on other sites, I'm about tapped out.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
I've tried M16 and wasnt overly impressed with it. One thing that is cool about that wax is how long its been around (like 50 years). Eshine.ca still sells it in Canada and Chris will ship it to the US if you need some.

See this really proves how subjective detailing is.. I really think M16 is a great looking wax. It's one of my favorites. I think it looks good, not a Souveran, but the durability is ten fold better.

Does he still have some? That's where I got a bunch of tins.

I've noticed when I've clayed my car that the back bumper below the tail-lights gets alot of embedded grime.

I agree. It seems like I'm always needing to wax the rear of the car. I'm guessing the O/R X pipe might be playing a role there.

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
I need to clay my car again but its way to cold to be doing that down here in Mississippi without a shop (which I would donate a testicle for)right now.

So should I be clay barring it while its in the garage all winter? I would need to wash it off after its done tho right? Just seems strange to me this idea of not washing in between steps, but what do I know.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back