wheelhopping wtf ?

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
long story short just had a catastrophe caused by wheel hop in 3rd gear, on an empty tracking testing, broke a cheap POS CHE adjustable upper control arm and twisted a just as cheap dynotech driveshaft. what I had 275/35/20 @ 4/32" with welded tubes, steeda billet lowers, 373, Detroit Locker, frpp 8.8 girdle, adj. bmr panhard bar and brace, tokico dspecs set on 2 from full stiff when all the carnage happened. car is making 600 tq. car is heavy, it is a convertible with stifflers sub's grossing prolly 4200ish loaded. that said, all this wheelhop started when I put the locker in but holy shit it put down the power short of hopping
replaced with a dss driveshaft, added bmr upper sprherical arm and upper mount, bmr LCA relocation brackets. still have wheel hop on these street tires rolling into to second around 3500 easy if it gets beyond tire hazing. don't really wanna strap the drags on just to break more shit from wheel hopping. upper arm set in upper hole, lca's in middle hole, pinion angle at -2, and tried softening rear shocks with different settings and neither are collapsed, and rear is centered perfectly.
my thoughts are
A: locker doesn't like rubber bushing in the housing,
B: something with the girdle adjustment (set to whatever spec was per instructions )
C:I dunno
Ideas ?

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
have you ever plotted your suspension geometry? You can try and angle your LCA's a bit more. This should give you less wheel hop. Are your bushings in good shape. I just recently replaced my poly LCA bushings because they developed a little play.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
I would think it has something more to do with tires.

I had that issue before while running a low profile tire. Haven't had it since I switched.

Also should pull your rear cover off and check the ring gear. I broke those also during the wheel hop.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
Did it give you any whine or popppung or any funny noises when you broke your ring gear ? We're you running a locker? I'm gonna bolt on the rts' w\ et drags and make a couple light runs on the back roads and see how it acts. Just don't wanna trailer it 50 miles to the track for nothing or just to break something again.

Back