Which Detroit Rocker cam to use?

Phil1098

Reaction score
I have come to grips that I am not going to spend $5k on a supercharger kit for a ten year old car, regardless of mileage. That said, I will spend some money to get rid of it completely nosing over after 4,500 rpm, so cams it is. I am strongly considering Brenspeed Detroit Rockers and was talking to them and was ready to order when the guy I am talking to at Brenspeed says "just put the supercharger grind in" and I said I doubt I will ever put a blower on the car. He says it works fine with NA.

So which grind do I buy, the one for NA or the FI?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I'd say the NA ones, I wouldn't buy a cam without specs but that is just me.
Been running hot rods for a while and love them.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Get a set of L&M bump sticks designed for NA

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
HMM, I see that now as well. I know Mike has 3V sticks. I'm sure Lund could tune them.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I personally would not buy the supercharger grind for an NA car. I absolutely LOVE the hot rods. They gain decent power for NSA cams, sound absolutely amazing and pull hard to 6500 rpm's.

My short list when I was shopping was detroit rockers NA grind, hot rods or BBR stage 1 cams. I think any of those would make you very happy and are easy for shops to write email tunes for.

Good luck!

Phil1098

Reaction score
I personally would not buy the supercharger grind for an NA car. I absolutely LOVE the hot rods. They gain decent power for NSA cams, sound absolutely amazing and pull hard to 6500 rpm's.

My short list when I was shopping was detroit rockers NA grind, hot rods or BBR stage 1 cams. I think any of those would make you very happy and are easy for shops to write email tunes for.

Good luck!

I was set on Hot Rods for a time, but not sure if I want to put in a gear. Don't know if a 3.73 is worth doing and not read a lot of good about a 4.10 with the whine.

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I was set on Hot Rods for a time, but not sure if I want to put in a gear. Don't know if a 3.73 is worth doing and not read a lot of good about a 4.10 with the whine.

My 4.10's don't have any whine at all and I love them. But I wouldn't hesitate to go with 3.73's either. To be honest, I sometimes with I had 3.73's for a little more top end. I hit 6K RPM's in 4th gear at 117 MPH. Now with the hot rods it's a little better because I can hold 4th gear to about 125 mph.

Even with detroit rockers, which are very comparable to hot rods IMO, you would want a little more gear for them.

07 Boss

Reaction score
My 4.10's don't have any whine at all and I love them. But I wouldn't hesitate to go with 3.73's either. To be honest, I sometimes with I had 3.73's for a little more top end. I hit 6K RPM's in 4th gear at 117 MPH. Now with the hot rods it's a little better because I can hold 4th gear to about 125 mph.

Even with detroit rockers, which are very comparable to hot rods IMO, you would want a little more gear for them.

??? 6K in 4th gear is going to be the same speed regardless of what kind of cams or S/C you may have on there. I'm not sure how you think you are going faster at a given RPM because you have cams.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I think hes saying he holds 4th gear longer to 6500+ instead of running out at 6000

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I think hes saying he holds 4th gear longer to 6500+ instead of running out at 6000

Exactly. Prior to the Hot Rod Cams I wasn't making any real power past 6,000 rpm's and I was still on the factory tune including factory set rev limiter. After the hot rod cams the car would pull hard to 6,500 rpm's and the tune adjusted the rev limiter accordingly.

To all the guys saying + to the gear, did you guys install them yourselves?

Gears is the only mod I didn't do myself. But it's well worth the investment even if paying for labor.

Last edited by a moderator:

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Does the term "more gear" mean a taller gear or a lower [shorter] gear?

Lower,

There was a cam card out there with the DR specs but I can't find it.

IIRC there wasn't much difference between them, the FI set had more LSA and exhaust duration,

If you're wanting a NSR rough idling cam, you want the Hot Rods ..

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Does the term "more gear" mean a taller gear or a lower gear?

More gear = higher numerical number. So 4.10 gears is more gear than 3.55 gears. But as far as tall and short I believe it's the opposite. 4.10 gears is a shorter gear than 3.55 gears.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I'm using hotrods in mine with 3.55's and like them, just like with any lopey cam take it easy on takeoff

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back