WHIRRING/HUMMING noise at exactly 145km/h?

OctaneStreet

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've noticed for some time now that my '06 Mustang GT makes a whirring noise (not a whining noise), similar to that of a failing wheel bearing, every single time I take the car to 145-148km/h... It sounds like it's coming from the right rear, and it literally happens every time I hit that speed, and stops if I exceed 150km/h or if I drop below 143km/h.... Any ideas what the cause can be? It's so strange lol, but it's very audible when it comes on, and I'm able to hear it through the wind noise and my axle-back exhaust.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions guys, the people on here have helped me out in the past already for which i'm very grateful. Cheers.

P.S Sorry if I don't respond right away, I don't get notifications for some reason despite tampering with my settings.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Mine did that years ago and the rumbling noise was due to a worn center bearing on the original stock driveshaft. I had it replaced with a Driveshaft Shop aluminum unit and I've been a happy bunny ever since. :D
Therefore I suggest you have your car raised on a lift and check for excessive play in the driveshaft center bearing.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My center bearing failed as well and made noise at similar speeds.
My noise didn't stop at higher speeds though so I would try swapping the tires front to back to see if the noise is still there first-that is if you are using a square setup.

OctaneStreet

Reaction score

Hmm, yea I've read online that tires can make this sound... I had no idea that they could beforehand though. I have some pretty good NittoN555's on with lots of life left so I'll see if the noise stops when I switch to Winter tires real soon!

Mine did that years ago and the rumbling noise was due to a worn center bearing on the original stock driveshaft. I had it replaced with a Driveshaft Shop aluminum unit and I've been a happy bunny ever since. :D
Therefore I suggest you have your car raised on a lift and check for excessive play in the driveshaft center bearing.

Interesting, thank you very much for sharing your experience. Definitely going to write this down so I can have it specifically looked at when I can get it on a lift. Thanks man

My center bearing failed as well and made noise at similar speeds.
My noise didn't stop at higher speeds though so I would try swapping the tires front to back to see if the noise is still there first-that is if you are using a square setup.

Very good to know sir, thank you for sharing your experience as well. I'll be switching over to winter tires really really soon here so that'll let me know if it's the tires (I run a staggered setup so I can't just swap em like you pointed out). If not, the next thing i'll take a look at is that driveshaft center bearing. Thanks!

OctaneStreet

Reaction score
Does your driveshaft do this? If it does you need a new one. https://www.s197forum.com/threads/2005-gt-driveshaft.137561/

Damn, that doesn't look good AT ALL. Also read through the comments on your post, really useful info in there as well. Might look into the same DSS or ford perf one and tackle the install myself as well on some stands. Thanks a lot, gunna check hopefully tmrw to see if mine has that much play.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back