wide band acting up

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score
I have a Auto Meter Nexus wide band on my car and Lito has been finishing my remote tune but to finish it he needs the wide band data to make sure it's good to , any way the problem is the wide band cycles on and works perfectly one minute but then when I crank the car up say an hr or so later the gauge will cycle on but then goes straight to - - - - on the gauge display. Thinking maybe I had a bad wide band sensor I changed it out with a Auto Meter replacement one, but the wide band is doing the same as before, anyone know what might be going on with it? I'm stomp at this point... The other gauges are working fine so not sure if my nexus controller is messing up or what.. any info would be appreciated...

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
FWIW a new LC1 with controller, sensor, and gauge is only about $160 new. Not sure what it will cost to get yours going again but it might be more cost effective to go with the proven, programmable, inexpensive LC1.

I had to do the same when my expensive piece of crap xxx brand wideband crapped out after a few months of ownership.

truckman7

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have more than 1 digital gauge hooked up to the same power source? Mine was all over the place after a year b/c of multiple gauges on 1 source. If you do,try putting it to a new, source on its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score
Yes I do, I'll try that next, hopefully that will fix the problem. what's crazy is my other Nexus gauges are working fine.The nexus gauges connect to a control module, might have to see if I can connect the wide band by it's self..
Do you have more than 1 digital gauge hooked up to the same power source? Mine was all over the place after a year b/c of multiple gauges on 1 source. If you do,try putting it to a new, source on its own.

truckman7

forum member
Reaction score
I believe it's supposed to be by itself. Remember something about having enough power so the element heats up to read the exhaust gas. Might also be in the gauge itself.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Autometer left a lot of us hanging with an expensive setup and no support.
If anybody knows of any other system that can do multiple colors and dimming I'll probably go that way for my future gauges.

My fuel pressure gauge is inaccurate and my vac/boost gauge sometimes doesn't turn on.

Redfire281

Reaction score
The problem could be the terminals at the 6400/01 sensor module that is the connection hub for all the Nexus gauges. I have mine mounted on the driver kick panel and it's subject to a lot of vibration and dirt so I periodically use CRC contact spray and inspect/tighten the contact points. No issues after 8+ years although my fuel pressure gauge has always been inaccurate - 29 @ idle and 39 @ under load. I have a digital wideband, vac/boost, oil pressure, oil temp and fuel pressure attached to a 6400 sensor/remote.

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score
The problem could be the terminals at the 6400/01 sensor module that is the connection hub for all the Nexus gauges. I have mine mounted on the driver kick panel and it's subject to a lot of vibration and dirt so I periodically use CRC contact spray and inspect/tighten the contact points. No issues after 8+ years although my fuel pressure gauge has always been inaccurate - 29 @ idle and 39 @ under load. I have a digital wideband, vac/boost, oil pressure, oil temp and fuel pressure attached to a 6400 sensor/remote.

Checking that out at this time.. my Auto Meter rep contacted me and gave me a few things to try out too, if i can't get it I'm to get back to him.. He contacted me yesterday, he'd been out of state on business ,so hopefully i'll get this figured out.. will up date once finished..

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score
Well I finally have it figured out, I looked at my original wide band install pictures and realized I put the switched power on an add a fuse this go round and so I disconnected it from that location and used my original switched power location and it's working perfectly again..The wide band sensor has to sense 13,5 amps to work properly. This location gives it 13.5 amps...I also put a inline 3 amp fuse between the power wire and connection.

Attachments

• wide band switched power location.jpg
    wide band switched power location.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 6

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back