Wire Tuck Thread

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
my #1 rule when doing mine was "one wire at a time", no matter how easy it is to cut and solder 2-3 at a time.....just do 1 wire at a time.

be prepared for ALOT of work and ALOT of time!!

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
sy9ysypa.jpg

At Home Depot, found the gauge sizer tool too. Looking forward to the work. If I screw up ill just put a crate engine in it. Lol

Last edited:

jcw427

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Nice to see your progress on this project. Since my car is in a million pieces I'll be doing this as it goes back together. Since my passenger airbag is not going back in that's where the ECM and fuse box will get mounted. I'm planning two-three weeks to finish all the wiring in the car

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Just for fun I'd love to do a wire tuck and take the car into a Ford shop and tell them I'm having some problems with the fuse box and if they could take a look at it. :crazy:

Jason

forum member
Reaction score
Quick question....I've read throughout this thread about everyone soldering the wires....now, how are you doing this? I mean, if you are using butt splices where exactly are you soldering the wire? Is it in the little window in the middle of the butt splice (used to see if the wire is deep enough in the butt splice)? Or are you guys splicing the wire a little extra in length giving exposed wire outside the butt splice and soldering at that point? I just don't really see any point in soldering if you are using quality butt splices unless you are using it to have a better hold on the wire preventing it from coming out of the splice. Obviously solder gives a better connection but I was just curious where everyone is putting their solder?

Jason

forum member
Reaction score
Ahhh I see. I was a little confused thinking that people were doing both haha. Appreciate it :). I would think that the butt splices would be more durable? I know the ones at Autozone suck but I'm talking about good quality butt splices, such as the environmental butt splice mentioned a while back. I work on helicopters and we use environmental butt splices which are awesome and I seem to run into more bad solder problems on aircraft than I do bad crimping on a butt splices.

M81824-Crimp-Splices-104-1-17205918.jpg

Last edited:

LAStang1234

----------DSL----------
Reaction score
Soldering the wires and heating the plastic wrap around the area makes it a pretty damn sturdy connection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jason

forum member
Reaction score
I'll give this way a shot. I think I would like it a whole lot better than having a bunch of butt splices everywhere. I've just never done it this way. The only time I've dealt with solder are on switches.

holmes4.6

forum member
Reaction score
I know this is a older thread but does anybody know what gauge the wire needs to be I've read all threw this thread and I haven't found it I'm Goina start soon and would like to go ahead and Order the wire

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
I know this is a older thread but does anybody know what gauge the wire needs to be I've read all threw this thread and I haven't found it I'm Goina start soon and would like to go ahead and Order the wire

Page 11 (the previous page) discusses exactly which gauges on several posts. Go through that page again and you should find your answers.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back