Wiring radar detector from maplight power source

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Wondering if you can help. I would like to tap into my maplight power to run my radar detector. I was thinking I would just cut the existing cord that powers my radar detector now and splice it into my maplight power somewhere. My question is, is there a power source in the maplight area that will turn off with my key? I mount my radar detector just below my mirror so it would mean only a short wire to reach it. Hoping this would be a cleaner look than I have now by running from my power point in the dash.

Cheers!

08VistablueGT

Booyakasha!
Reaction score
Hey all,

Wondering if you can help. I would like to tap into my maplight power to run my radar detector. I was thinking I would just cut the existing cord that powers my radar detector now and splice it into my maplight power somewhere. My question is, is there a power source in the maplight area that will turn off with my key? I mount my radar detector just below my mirror so it would mean only a short wire to reach it. Hoping this would be a cleaner look than I have now by running from my power point in the dash.

Cheers!

I did this years ago on my 07 GT.

From what I remember, the power source is a constant for the map light. This means you'll have to manually turn off the detector if you do not want it on all the time.

Depending on what detector you got, they sell hard wire kits as accessories. I would just buy one of those (if available) and just tap into a power source in the center console.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
I did this years ago on my 07 GT.

From what I remember, the power source is a constant for the map light. This means you'll have to manually turn off the detector if you do not want it on all the time.

Depending on what detector you got, they sell hard wire kits as accessories. I would just buy one of those (if available) and just tap into a power source in the center console.

Ya, this is what I was afraid of. It would be so much easier if I could find a source in the maplight area but if not I guess I will either have to switch it off manually or find another source. I'm worried that if I have to switch the radar detector off manually that I will forget and drain the battery.

1BADHRSE

forum member
Reaction score
Its very easy when stock to route wires up into that area... Now that I have gauges out the ass I regret not doing this while I did them. The turn key (on, off) I used is behind the deck.. Forgot which wire...

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Its very easy when stock to route wires up into that area... Now that I have gauges out the ass I regret not doing this while I did them. The turn key (on, off) I used is behind the deck.. Forgot which wire...

Even on a vert?

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Seeing as you're looking for a source where you don't have to turn the power on and off, I'm guessing that you don't plan on taking it down when the car is parked? One reminder I will give is that if you keep the detector on the windshield during the summer, you do run the risk of cooking the circuitry when it sits out in the sun. I constantly take mine down as I've read of several people who have cooked the circuitry for picking up K-band in their high end detectors. Plus, I'd rather not have bait out for the crackheads to break into my car.
Just some food for thought...

08VistablueGT

Booyakasha!
Reaction score
Ya, this is what I was afraid of. It would be so much easier if I could find a source in the maplight area but if not I guess I will either have to switch it off manually or find another source. I'm worried that if I have to switch the radar detector off manually that I will forget and drain the battery.

Yeah, your safe bet is to take the extra ten minutes and pull the center console apart. There is plenty of 12v accessory power sources there. Let us know how it goes. Post pics!

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
I would be taking the detector down often as I have a vert and wouldn't want it stolen. I would not hard wire the detector end.

Just thought of this now... I think the button for the vert top that is located there operates off of the key. I will check that out as that may be my source.

Cheers!

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your map light wiring is on a delay timer. That is where I got power to my bluetooth rear view mirror. It will go off after 10 minutes.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Seeing as you're looking for a source where you don't have to turn the power on and off, I'm guessing that you don't plan on taking it down when the car is parked? One reminder I will give is that if you keep the detector on the windshield during the summer, you do run the risk of cooking the circuitry when it sits out in the sun. I constantly take mine down as I've read of several people who have cooked the circuitry for picking up K-band in their high end detectors. Plus, I'd rather not have bait out for the crackheads to break into my car.

Your map light wiring is on a delay timer. That is where I got power to my bluetooth rear view mirror. It will go off after 10 minutes.

That's good to know. Sounds like I might have a couple options!

Thanks for the help everyone!

2NY

icedesign
Reaction score

have my passport 8500 wired directly to the map light and stays on constantly..never goes off even after 10 mins..granted it is run with LED lights..it barely uses any power and i rarely turn it off. I has been on for a couple days at a time and never lost power or drained the battery

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score

something along the lines of this could help out your situation

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
Beerhunter... looking at the options in your sig, I'm guessing you have a compass rear-view mirror, correct?

Try one of these...
http://www.invisicord.com/
Works great on my car. :thumb:

Wicked One

forum member
Reaction score
have my passport 8500 wired directly to the map light and stays on constantly..never goes off even after 10 mins..granted it is run with LED lights..it barely uses any power and i rarely turn it off. I has been on for a couple days at a time and never lost power or drained the battery

What color did you guys use? The green one going to the button, or the white one going to the actual lamp?

This is a great idea.

rford426

Resident 5.0 H8R
Reaction score
I just used a mini add a circuit to the acc fuse in my passenger floor...Did one on my buddys yesterday hooked it up to the cig lighter

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back