Won't start after electrical mishap

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
I converted my car to a TH400 with trans brake. I am using an MSD 2 step as well. I was told (incorrectly apparently) that I didn't need a diode on the trans brake solenoid when I have the 2 step and trans brake on the same button. I hooked up the 2 step first and it worked great. Next, I unhooked the 2 step then wired the trans brake. Again, no problems. Then I hooked the 2 step and trans brake together and that's where the issues started. I believe I damaged the 2 step because it the engine would start misfiring. No codes were kicked. I disconnected the 2 step hoping that would fix the issue but the plugs were so fouled that I'm not sure if it did. At this point I couldn't get he car to even start and I smelled raw fuel coming out of the exhaust. I cleaned the plugs (platinum champions) and put them back in. The car started but still missed and wouldn't idle and eventually got to the point that it wouldn't start again. Just for peace of mind, I've ordered new plugs, COPs and 02 sensors. I'm hoping to install those tomorrow evening. Not sure which direction to go if that doesn't work. I'm leaning towards sending the ECU in for repair. Anyone have any advice?

Sorry this was so long. Thanks in advance.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
If you ordered champion plugs, throw them away and go back to NGK or Ford.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not likely the COPs, the O2s would likely throw a code if they were at issue.

may make sense to swap on part at a time so you know where the issue was.

Ordered E3's. Hope those are good.

:okay2:

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
Not likely the COPs, the O2s would likely throw a code if they were at issue.

may make sense to swap on part at a time so you know where the issue was.

:okay2:

I know, some people frown on E3s but I've had good luck with them in other cars and they were one of the cheapest. If it's going to keep fouling plugs, I'd rather it foul cheap ones than expensive ones.

My concern with replacing one at a time is if what I replace doesn't fix the issue, then I'm back to fouled plugs again.

Hoping I didn't fry the ECU.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
The plugs are fouling because they are garbage and aren't firing.

06vistabluegt

forum member
Reaction score
I put the E3s in tonight and it is running good. Glad it was an easy fix. Thanks for the help.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back