From Koni to bilstein. I've seen the light. Thanks vorshlag!

I am Legend

forum member
Reaction score
I couldn't find anything on Mustang Bilsteins (Facebook sucks for this kind of stuff), but I did find these:
10968464_10155178819185113_942829358908740755_n.jpg
Those sure are purty.

Those are custom Bilstein Motorsports shocks, that setup is multiple thousands of dollars lol. very purty indeed.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205770812220103&set=pcb.10205770826780467&type=1&theater

JPC

Reaction score
Looks like they might be taking a different route. Go like Vorshlag's facebook page and check out the pictures of the stuff they did with Jerry's car.

Here's a link to FB with pictures of the NEW Bilstein coilover that Vorshlag will be making and selling:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205770812220103&set=pcb.10205770826780467&type=1&theater

Vorhslag having an open house Sat Feb 7th at 10am
https://www.facebook.com/4607178301...60717830112/10155172569650113/?type=1&theater

My Boss will be there on display and available for test rides too

We had a successful track test on Sat Jan 24th at Eagles Canyon.
Terry drove the Boss and shot some in car video.
......that guy can drive!!!

Jerry Cecco
[email protected]
972-838-7768

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
1. I wish the Bilsteins werent so expensive. almost the price of coilovers...

Yeah, on the face of it Bilsteins seem expensive. But once you start working on them, you find their longevity and (normally) fantastic quality and consistency accounts for much of the extra cost.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, on the face of it Bilsteins seem expensive. But once you start working on them, you find their longevity and (normally) fantastic quality and consistency accounts for much of the extra cost.
Wouldnt it be worth it though to just spend the few extra hundred for coil overs?

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Glad the OP is happy with his Vorshlag-Bilstein StreetPro set-up...

jpg_DSC7043-Recovered%20copy-M.jpg

These are very popular and many folks have been enjoying with the results. People seem to like the fact that the entire set-up is pre-assembled and can be installed in half the time (no need to compress the front springs to remove any OEM bits), and the ride and handling are both improved. Not to mention it has beefy inverted monotube construction with German built Bilstein components.

As for Bilstein making adjustable coilovers, they do... but they mostly cater to the German and Asian market car models.

_DSF0547-M.jpg

Whenever they make a new PSS/PSS9/PSS10 series we always test them on a car, and usually change the springs they come with to proper coilover springs + Vorshlag camber plates. Some PSS series strut kits come with 60mm springs, but many are "beehive" springs made to fit the OEM upper spring perches...

48-191845_3-M.jpg

We call these "semi-coilovers", but you just don't get the freedom of spring rate choices, the improved wheel/camber room or the height range of a straight 60mm coilover spring. We often convert these kits to work with a regular coilover spring.

SIGBilstein-Motorsports-Struts-1-M.jpg

Still the S197 has no such option from Bilstein. We've been awaiting their "36mm Motorsports strut kit" for going on 3 years, which could eventually become a more cost effective, inverted, monotube adjustable damping coilover strut we could then make fit the S197. The 46mm "BIG BOY" inverted kits (shown above) came out last year but they are really limited to rally use, and must use a BIG spring to clear the BIG inverted shaft body.

DSC_5345-S.jpg
DSC_5344-S.jpg

We got tired of waiting for Bilstein to offer this kit, so we've begun converting regular Bilstein monotubes to coilovers lately. The set shown above were built for a customers 1992 Mustang (Fox) with a Coyote 5.0 swap and IRS from an SN95 Cobra. This car (below) will be at our open house this weekend and it rides great.

B61G4177-M.jpg

That set worked out so well that we tried it recently for the S197 chassis. We took the same shorter Bilstein we use in the StreetPro kit, removed the fixed lower spring perch, relocated and modified the swaybar bracket, and added a ring to mount our adjustable collar onto.

B61G4254-M.jpg

Then we played with ride heights, optimizing bump vs rebound travel, and tested some spring rates with our camber plates and ran them on Jerry's 2012 Boss302.

B61G4264-M.jpg

They fit great (with a shortened end link) and the ride quality was excellent.

J_DSC6911%20copy-M.jpg

We used our adjustable ride height platforms and coilover springs out back (same as we use on MCS or AST coilover kits) with the Bilstein monotube rear dampers, of course. As Jerry said, we also track tested the car at ECR, which was back on Jan 24th.

DSC_6365-M.jpg

After putting in number of hot laps driving, with Jerry riding shotgun, we were both pleasantly surprised at the improved handling of this new "TrackPro" coilover we made. This set-up with the rates we have chosen (much stiffer than "lowering springs") have a LOT less brake dive and body roll of the OE style springs, obviously.

DSC_6366-M.jpg

We're scrambling to get the CNC production online as well as thrashing on construction projects at the shop this week, but we will announce the TrackPro Bilstein pricing soon. If you want to see the test car (above) this weekend Jerry will have the car at our Open House on Saturday Feb 7th from 10-4pm. He is going to be giving rides in it, so people can see and feel the ride and handling for themselves.

i-9C4L2Nw-M.jpg

Our address is here. Should be a fun event with free food, drinks and cars to look at all day.

Last edited:

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I read Terry's post, and then forgot all he said when I saw "free food." So hard to concentrate when it is my lunch time :D.

I love my StreetPro kit too, and love the color of the camber plates. The pictures don't do it justice. Installation was easy, and all I needed was a decent Impact Wrench to get the rear shocks off mine.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
After putting in number of hot laps driving, with Jerry riding shotgun, we were both pleasantly surprised at the improved handling of this new "TrackPro" coilover we made. This set-up with the rates we have chosen (much stiffer than "lowering springs") have a LOT less brake dive and body roll of the OE style springs, obviously.

DSC_6366-M.jpg

We're scrambling to get the CNC production online as well as thrashing on construction projects at the shop this week, but we will announce the TrackPro Bilstein pricing soon. If you want to see the test car (above) this weekend Jerry will have the car at our Open House on Saturday Feb 7th from 10-4pm. He is going to be giving rides in it, so people can see and feel the ride and handling for themselves.

Terry is there any valving change than that of the HD series valving or do you plan to for the spring rates you will be recommending?

jmauld

forum member
Reaction score
Terry is there any valving change than that of the HD series valving or do you plan to for the spring rates you will be recommending?
I've asked a similar question in private, but I wanted to clarify why I'm asking.

For those of us who already have the Bilstein HDs, is there any way we can use those, or would it be best to just sell them and start fresh with your setup?

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I've asked a similar question in private, but I wanted to clarify why I'm asking.

For those of us who already have the Bilstein HDs, is there any way we can use those, or would it be best to just sell them and start fresh with your setup?

I'd recommend selling and starting fresh. There is too much work done to the housings that we discount when building them in batches, but would charge full price to convert yours. In addition to the parts...

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score

DSC_6364-M.jpg

The housings require a lot of labor and we chose the insert because the valving works with the spring rates we wanted. The 450 #/in front and 175 #/in rear rates we tested on Jerry's Boss worked out perfectly on the street and still worked very well on track.

As you can see from the stock GT (left) and Brembo car (right) spring rates, we are upping the front spring rate by a factor of 4 but leaving the rear rates nearly stock. This is based on extensive testing we've done on the S197 chassis. This is around the limit of what will still ride well, while still MASSIVELY cutting down on brake dive and front roll. A great candidate for even BIG street tires (315) or up to maybe 275mm race tires. Beyond that and these spring rates will still produce a lot of bodyroll. The image below was on these rates with the Whiteline bars maxed out, but using 315mm R-compound tires. More roll than we liked... but it rode DAMN well on the street!

DSC_4375%20copy-M.jpg

We will test this kit further, but it is unlikely that rates stiffer than these we have tested with on Jerry's car rates will work and still give acceptable ride quality.

20150124_120301-M.jpg

Folks pushing beyond this level of spring rate (ie: BIG levels of grip) will still need to look at other options with more aggressive, adjustable valving like MCS.

DSC_6300-M.jpg

Last edited:

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
These inverted strut housings are not super easy to re-valve (it can be done but adds a good bit to costs), so we will limit the spring rates we offer on the TrackPro kits for the S197 to those that work with the stock B6 valving. Luckily the 450 #/in front and 175 #/in rear rates we tested on Jerry's Boss worked out perfectly on the street and still worked very well on track.

It would be cool if Bilstein would allow you to get the same track or sport (whatever Ford calls it) valving as the Bilsteins that come on the GT500.

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score
1. I wish the Bilsteins werent so expensive. almost the price of coilovers.
2. I need to ride in a car with them.

You guys are gonna be so jelly of the price I got on mine

I was actually annoyed with myself because they were sitting right at 600 then slowly started going up every day

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You guys are gonna be so jelly of the price I got on mine

I was actually annoyed with myself because they were sitting right at 600 then slowly started going up every day
Damn where is that fuck off button, lol.

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
Update: two weeks of daily driving on the new bilsteins and I still love them.

Also have some brake upgrades in the works. Stopped by Vorshlag earlier and bought some carbotech 1521 pads and a set of their brake lines for the 14" brembo kit I'm installing soon. Thanks again to Jon and Terry for all their help and advice.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back