Is my Clutch Toast???

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score
Not necessarily true. They could be pricing the supercharger upgrade to include the risk they are taking on with the warranty. So you are paying for that. You didn't pay for it with the pulley upgrade.

I strongly disagree. They'd be in a heap of trouble if they knew the clutch would fail prematurely yet willingly sold the upgrade to the customer without full disclosure. If they felt the clutch was an issues, it should be part of the pack. That's just common sense. I read through the verbiage of the FRPP warranty and it clearly states they back the customer for at least 12 months and 12k with no adverse effects to the rest of the drive train.

By the way what ever happened with the Mustang community standing by each other and helping others out? I've had an ASE Master tech look at the same pics Ford did and the pressure plate is what failed. It's clear Ford is going for the easy out because we all know the clutch is good for more then stock power levels. Instead they should be closely examining my clutch since it's one of the first 2010s with some mileage on it. Let's not forget the history of the 07-09 clutches....

Last edited:

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I strongly disagree. They'd be in a heap of trouble if they knew the clutch would fail prematurely yet willingly sold the upgrade to the customer without full disclosure. If they felt the clutch was an issues, it should be part of the pack. That's just common sense. I read through the verbiage of the FRPP warranty and it clearly states they back the customer for at least 12 months and 12k with no adverse effects to the rest of the drive train.

By the way what ever happened with the Mustang community standing by each other and helping others out? I've had an ASE Master tech look at the same pics Ford did and the pressure plate is what failed. It's clear Ford is going for the easy out because we all know the clutch is good for more then stock power levels. Instead they should be closely examining my clutch since it's one of the first 2010s with some mileage on it. Let's not forget the history of the 07-09 clutches....

Slow down there. I was trying to help you out. Maybe I didn't explain it very well. I know the FRPP warranty backs up the drivetrain for 12 months or 12K miles. And I don't believe they are selling something that they knowingly will cause a failure. I do believe, however, that they know that it will cause broken/damaged parts in some instances. A warranty is just insurance. They are taking on risk when they sell that to you. They take into consideration how much that is going to cost them and price accordingly. If they thought that it would cause a failure in every case (or more than an acceptable number of cases), they wouldn't sell it to you.

It's like in my business. All of my clients want me to indemnify them for everything under the sun. I attempt to negotiate less risky indemnification language in my contracts. If the client doesn't budge, I usually charge them more for taking on that risk.

All I was trying to say is that you will have a hard time proving your case using a warranty they offer for an upgrade you didn't purchase.

And BTW, I hope you prove to them that the pulley upgrade did not cause it. I just would hate for you to go down a road that, IMHO, will not get you the results you seek.

Last edited:

blacknlte

Reaction score

By all means we are standing behind you, but you have to know when to pick your battles. The Magnuson-Moss warrany Act states what it states, but are you willing to put alot of money into fighting Ford?? Id hope not. YES it does blow that they are not standing up for the clutch going out at the power level your at. But they are the factory and theyll do whatever they want and look at you as just another number in the system. Believe me I fought with my local dealership on several cars and trucks about warranty work and everytime I lost!

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score
Slow down there. I was trying to help you out. Maybe I didn't explain it very well. I know the FRPP warranty backs up the drivetrain for 12 months or 12K miles. And I don't believe they are selling something that they knowingly will cause a failure. I do believe, however, that they know that it will cause broken/damaged parts in some instances. A warranty is just insurance. They are taking on risk when they sell that to you. They take into consideration how much that is going to cost them and price accordingly. If they thought that it would cause a failure in every case (or more than an acceptable number of cases), they wouldn't sell it to you.

It's like in my business. All of my clients want me to indemnify them for everything under the sun. I attempt to negotiate less risky indemnification language in my contracts. If the client doesn't budge, I usually charge them more for taking on that risk.

All I was trying to say is that you will have a hard time proving your case using a warranty they offer for an upgrade you didn't purchase.

And BTW, I hope you prove to them that the pulley upgrade did not cause it. I just would hate for you to go down a road that, IMHO, will not get you the results you seek.

By all means we are standing behind you, but you have to know when to pick your battles. The Magnuson-Moss warrany Act states what it states, but are you willing to put alot of money into fighting Ford?? Id hope not. YES it does blow that they are not standing up for the clutch going out at the power level your at. But they are the factory and theyll do whatever they want and look at you as just another number in the system. Believe me I fought with my local dealership on several cars and trucks about warranty work and everytime I lost!

Sorry guys I'm just a little on edge. As it stands now my car is apart on the lift. I'm concerned about reinstalling the stock clutch again on my dime only to have it go out. I can't keep swapping it every 9.5k. I highly doubt the dealer will install an aftermarket unit for me. I'm not even sure how much it would cost to have them put it back together with the existing unit so I can take it somewhere else for work.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the dealer will put in what you want if it's on your dime. why wouldn't they. only risk would be ( and it's already on your records) would be the could claim a tranny break was due to the clutch.

blacknlte

Reaction score
Sorry guys I'm just a little on edge. As it stands now my car is apart on the lift. I'm concerned about reinstalling the stock clutch again on my dime only to have it go out. I can't keep swapping it every 9.5k. I highly doubt the dealer will install an aftermarket unit for me. I'm not even sure how much it would cost to have them put it back together with the existing unit so I can take it somewhere else for work.

No problem, we've all been there. Best thing now is to get a new clutch setup and since they already have it apart see what the cost is to put it back together. Really no point in having them reinstall it and then take it else where for them to take it apart and pay even more money.

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score
the dealer will put in what you want if it's on your dime. why wouldn't they. only risk would be ( and it's already on your records) would be the could claim a tranny break was due to the clutch.

Nah they'll probably just blame that on the pulley as well. lol

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No problem, we've all been there. Best thing now is to get a new clutch setup and since they already have it apart see what the cost is to put it back together. Really no point in having them reinstall it and then take it else where for them to take it apart and pay even more money.

I think he's got a point there, buddy. I'll probably will wait until I at least have 12k on the car before i do the pulley upgrade, in case these 2010 clutches do fail frequently, then I'll try to have them cover the labor and I'll pay for the Mcleod clutch/FW.

Anyway, keep us posted on what the official response is and what route you end up taking.

BTW, what were the problems with the 07-09 clutches? I was running a 100 shot on my 07 GT (~400 rwhp / 500 rwlbft) for about 24 x 10 lb bottles, and it held up well.

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score
I talked with Ford Customer Service. They can't do anything as they said SVT denied the claim as well as the regional rep. The dealer won't request them to examine the part. They will either sell me the part at cost plus labor for a total of $1207.00 or leave the car outside for me to pickup and I can have a rollback come and get it.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I don't want to put another stock clutch back in if it's going to fail like that. Nobody at Ford seems to give a damn.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the dealer will not install the aftermarket clutch?

bpmurr

forum member
Reaction score
the dealer will not install the aftermarket clutch?

They will but at this point I'm not sure I even want the car anymore. Nor do I trust them to do the install. Everything from now on is going to be a fight to get fixed if it breaks.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
understood man... sucks that you feel that way. good luck in whatever you chose.

strongs_2009

Reaction score
If it makes you feel much better i made 750rwhp on my stock clutch drove it all over and ran it a bunch on the track getting no traction on take off. The time i did get traction i shattered the axels fixed them next time out my clutch went. So you might of just had a faulty one dont get down and want to get rid of the car. if it was me replace it get it out of there run it easy to break it in and have some fun with it.

blacknlte

Reaction score
They will but at this point I'm not sure I even want the car anymore. Nor do I trust them to do the install. Everything from now on is going to be a fight to get fixed if it breaks.

Naa just keep the car, go get it as it sit (tranny out) and take it to someone thats got a good reputation and have a new clutch installed.

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Naa just keep the car, go get it as it sit (tranny out) and take it to someone thats got a good reputation and have a new clutch installed.

I second that, don't be down about it...I know its depressing, but if you go get a better clutch/lighter flywheel, you also get the advantage of the lower inertia of rotation, worth the equivalent of 200 plus lbs of car weight, so in fact this could turn out to be a preformance upgrade, albeit one that you didn't plan as such.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I would just put a new clutch in it and find a different dealer.

would you be able to break even if you sold it right now?

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes I still have positive equity in the car.

You know, we don't have the fastest cars (a Vette is just as fast), but you can't put a couple of kids in the back of a Vette...but our cars are plenty fast, and pretty basic too...have you opened the hood on an M3 lately? hard to recognize what's what...

You can't sell the car in its present condition anyway, so why not get the new clutch put in, and drive it, and i think you'll decide to keep it...espoecially since you've already modded it to ~550 RWHP...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back