Just about had enough...

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
If people completely want to do away with the possibility of getting screwed over, they should buy the part new and at full price from a reputable dealer. Same thing with buying a used private party car. Sure you get it much cheaper, but you run the risk of buying someone else's problems.

As George Klass once said.........."there are no victims...only volunteers."

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
I think punishing the offending party is a waste of time. They get on, screw you over, and are gone. They dont care if they are banned or not. Any time I buy anything I always cantact the person via PM. If the deal still seems fishy I dont go through with it. Or I will request their phone number and contact them in person. It would be a shame to get rid of the classifieds section. Being on a budget, the classifieds make it possible for me to mod my mustang without breaking the bank. I can't see closeing it and punishing the loyal users(I say users, b/c I am not a member YET), with their 1000's of good tranactions, just because of a few bad ones.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
I think punishing the offending party is a waste of time. They get on, screw you over, and are gone. They dont care if they are banned or not. Any time I buy anything I always cantact the person via PM. If the deal still seems fishy I dont go through with it. Or I will request their phone number and contact them in person. It would be a shame to get rid of the classifieds section. Being on a budget, the classifieds make it possible for me to mod my mustang without breaking the bank. I can't see closeing it and punishing the loyal users(I say users, b/c I am not a member YET), with their 1000's of good tranactions, just because of a few bad ones.

That's a very important thing to give out. A contact number is always good. I always provide my contact number because I never know where the fuck I'll be when they reply to a PM or post in my thread. Plus, it gives the person confidence that you're speaking to the person. I know someone can just buy a cricket phone or virgin mobile and have it for a month and vanish, but whatever. I'd say maybe a dozen people on the board have my number and probably more on facebook. I'm easy to reach. I guess that's the difference from someone being legitimate about selling their shit and some shady bastard who won't even get on a first name basis with their clientèle.

bscottie

forum member
Reaction score
there is NOTHING anybody can do other than the person who is screwed over, this is the case everywhere in life, we all tend to get "comfortable" in familiar surroundings, then BAM we get kicked kicked in the nuts. if admins are contacted the most I would expect would be an "I'm Sorry" for your loss, be sure to post up in the fucked over thread so no one else does, the reason banks, paypal, ebay, and others help with fee recovery is they are charging fees for transactions because that is part of their business, the rules here are different

kbchevlvr

forum member
Reaction score
Yea, i'm pretty familiar with where the STICKY for the forum is. I believe I quoted it earlier. And I probably needed to know where it was in order to quote it. But thanks for pointing it out again just in case I was mistaken and quoted something different and unrelated.

Okay. Sounds like the problem is solved. Everyone here seems to think that everything needs to remain the way that it is, including one of our moderators. So, I guess that means nothing will change. Therefore, I do not have any further intention of responding to any PMs, iTrader ratings, or emails that are in reference to bad classified transactions. Don't PM me, don't email me, don't call me, don't IM me on Yahoo, don't IM me on GoogleTalk. I won't respond.

Dave, I recommend you take the same stance. It is quite obvious that our care and concern is a wasted effort. Next time Joe Blow emails or PMs you and says he paid twatwaffle for a supercharger and no one has heard from the guy since and it has been 3 months since he paid... fuck it. Just ignore the email/PM

come on man...i think you are misunderstanding the points guys are making. dont confuse responsibility with pride or your ethics. the fact that you care to help make things right is spot on, but if you cant achieve results becasue of your help....its NOT YOUR FAULT. if the seller/buyer is blaming you or the site....well then that is flat wrong of them. though it is not your duty to help, i think most agree it is appreciated if needed, but certainly not your responsibility.

i have done more buying and selling than that one situation that i was involved with a couple weeks back (and im sure is on the list of things that prompted this debate). however that is one bad deal, that wasnt overly horrible. the biggest problem in that situation was outsiders putting thier 2 cents in on something that wasnt thier bussiness. some people are passive, and some wont take the harrassment.

none the less, my point is...overall the classifieds work well. of course the bad things stand out. look at the toyota recall from this year. millions of vehicals produced....and fractions of a percent were legitimatly effected by the recall.....however it got so blown out of proportion that the damn earth almost stopped rotating over it.

you guys have a good thing here....dont let bubble heads screw it up

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Okay. Sounds like the problem is solved. Everyone here seems to think that everything needs to remain the way that it is, including one of our moderators. So, I guess that means nothing will change. Therefore, I do not have any further intention of responding to any PMs, iTrader ratings, or emails that are in reference to bad classified transactions. Don't PM me, don't email me, don't call me, don't IM me on Yahoo, don't IM me on GoogleTalk. I won't respond.

Dave, I recommend you take the same stance. It is quite obvious that our care and concern is a wasted effort. Next time Joe Blow emails or PMs you and says he paid twatwaffle for a supercharger and no one has heard from the guy since and it has been 3 months since he paid... fuck it. Just ignore the email/PM

Doc,
I and others feel you have done a fantastic job in keeping the peace on the classified section, I for one would not like to see it go wildwest here, we need a sheriff to keep the peace and I think Doc "Holiday" (Western theme here) is doing a fine job. I appriciate your concern and assistance in my issue and personally would not use the cassifieds if their was not sheriff on duty.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just let people fend for themselves. If there's blatant thievery, ban the thief so they can't steal from anyone else.

:2cents:

Joe - I understand your view, however, a member comes to me and asks for help, I wouldn't tell him, "oh well, go pound sand". I'm a mensch. I'm going to make an effort to help him out.

:omfg: :omfg:

Yea, I don't know if I can be that callus.

:idea:

Maybe I'll ask SD for some lessons.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
Joe - I understand your view, however, a member comes to me and asks for help, I wouldn't tell him, "oh well, go pound sand". I'm a mensch. I'm going to make an effort to help him out.

:omfg: :omfg:

Yea, I don't know if I can be that callus.

:idea:

Maybe I'll ask SD for some lessons.

to hell with that...make SD the moderator for that section. :clap:

SONIC

forum member
Reaction score

DAM!! I did not realize this was such a prolbem. I reached out to Dave a while back. Its my own fault I started my PM with and i take full responsiability for my loss. I payed for a set of bogart wheels from a senior membor that has been here since 07 and had a 12 itrader 100% feedback. Stupid me payed for the wheels as a "gift" via paypal and the guy dissappeared off the face of the map! long story short. I never bitched or tryed to pass the blame off to anyone and when i reached out to Dave :helpme: he did way more than i ever expected to try and help me. I was very greatful and appricated all off his efforts and he made me feel all warm and fuzzy just for the simple fact that he cared enough to try and help! When dave reccomended to give a bad feedback I did the other day and i got a PM from Doc, I thought to my self WOW these guys are doing way more than i expected. Once again THANK YOU Dave, Doc for your efforts and i learned an expensive lesson. None the less this is still the best fourm and i will continue to buy and sell off this board.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This sounds like the right course of action for you... for private sellers. I do think it's the forum's job to intervene when forum vendors screw people over, though, like you did for me when Jerry Tubbs was doing his thing. I still appreciate that.

Black_GT

SIIXVII
Reaction score
The bottom line is this is a gray area...It wont help to bother the admin's or mod's. There is not much they can really do. Understand this is a forum and there is no legal department to help you. You have to 'man up'. It's buy at your own risk unless you know the person or have full trust in them. Use your discretion when making a large purchase or from someone you dont fully trust. Simple as that. If you get screwed over than thats on you, you chose to spend your hard earned cash on a forum's for sale section to someone you've never physically met or even spoke with in person. Thats my 2 cents...

p.s. please do not shut down the for sale section. It's waaaay better than craigslist lol we need it!

Last edited:

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
Your ideas, my comments

Idea - ban the guilty parties.
Comment - Okay.. so we leave the classifieds open, someone screws someone, we bad that person. Then someone screws someone, we ban that person. Then someone screws someone, we ban that person (and so on, and so on, and so on)... but at what point does that actually keep the next person from getting screwed? It doesn't.

Idea - make the classified section a "privileged access" section.
Comment - So we do that, then we get 4000 PMs from people wanting access, which I will be the one that has to do because it can only be done by admins, Don is MIA right now because he has other things going on. Kim spends limited time on here.. so that puts it back on me. I give everyone access that asks for it. Then someone who was granted access decides to screw someone in a sale. So what good did it do?

Idea - just deal with the assholes
Comment - First off.. it's not the boards job to deal with them. We state very clearly that we are not responsible for what goes on in the Classifieds. Yet everyone seems to feel the board needs to take responsibility for policing the section, chasing down the dead beats, following up on late shippers, holding the hands of people who felt they had a deal and it was yanked out from under them, etc.... The board doesn't profit from the Classifieds, it doesn't benefit from the Classifieds, and I don't feel it should have to watch every single friggin' transaction like a hawk to make sure it goes as advertised.

Idea - post count/time limit before someone can post an ad
Comment - we just had a user that has been on the board since October 2007 with a post count of nearly 500 fuck someone. So just exactly how long should they be on the board and how high of a post count should they have before they are allowed to use the Classifieds?

I hope you close the bitch .... To many little kide on here you try to help out and you get screwed over in return .

you sell someone 1,000.00 worth of stuff for 500.00 (give it away) it doesnt have dust boots , so myself and Adam at ST is trying to find some for him over the Thankgiving weekend and he wants it now .....complains and changes my feedback rating that I take pride in .

SO PLEASE CLOSE IT !

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

That's absolutely your prerogative, but in no way should you feel obligated to do anything. Although, because you're a mensch, you probably can't help yourself.

While I find it admirable that you'd like to help any member that gets screwed, it's just not practical. If a guy is really out to screw someone, there's not much you're gonna do. Especially since you don't hold the money or have the ability to take it from one guy and give it to another (and believe me, I can think of a million different reasons why you don't want that ability). If he's not really out to screw someone, then usually a resolution can be had. And then there are those that just wanna whine about any deal and you're never going to satisfy them anyway.

scottee

Reaction score
Here is a suggestion from one of the larger forum community's out there (www.reefcentral.com).

They were having problems much like this, so they made it so that you had to have a post count of 50 or more in order to sell anything. Noob's could still view and purchase from the classifieds, but they were unable to post anything for sale until they reached a post count of 50.

This greatly reduced the problems with shady deals.

HTH.

L8r
SCOTTEE

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back