Why oil weeps when using a 3v front cover with a non 3v block

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
While we're on the subject of using parts that were not a part of the actual 3V setup, when installing the iron tensioners what is everying using to seal them to the block?

The stock plastic 3V tensioners have a built in gasket, while the iron tensioners don't.

So, is there even a seal needed or is it a situation where it sits so flush with the block that you don't need one since the pistons are "locked" in their farthest extension?

I've always used the plastic tensioners. The iron ones are designed to be used without a gasket like you mentioned.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'm putting together a Big Bore Boss block and this mismatch occurs on the bottom instead of the top of the double hole area.

If you have a Big Bore Boss and it's weeping a little bit of oil that collects at the vee before running down the front and getting blown everywhere along with making it's way to the back of the motor it could be caused by this.

My fix is more rtv. It should do the trick. You can's see in the pic but there is some metal support underneath the rtv. Why I don't know but it's in the right place.

Edit: Looking at the pics I think I got the rtv backwards.

Last edited:

YoungPony

forum member
Reaction score
I have to agree on the rtv being on the wrong side of the gasket, but it might be enough to seal regardless.

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
Bringing this thread back from the dead as I’m about to build a B326. I see it is mentioned that this leak is on the boss block.
Has anyone had this issue with the B326?

Thanks

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry - stupid question on my part. Been doing too much research on building one of these.

I Can’t see any of those pictures for the fix

ChewyR

forum member
Reaction score
I am chasing an oil leak and I used the stock 3v cover on Ford replacement shortblock. I believe the part number for the shortblock matched up to a mercury mountaineer 4v. Need some new pics or a better description of what is being described in this thread.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I am chasing an oil leak and I used the stock 3v cover on Ford replacement shortblock. I believe the part number for the shortblock matched up to a mercury mountaineer 4v. Need some new pics or a better description of what is being described in this thread.
Is your current block aluminum or iron? When using a timing cover for an aluminium block on an iron block there's an extra hole under the water pump in the timing cover. There isn't a matching hole in the iron block. So you need to RTV around that extra hole to keep it from leaking.

If you're current block is aluminum and all bolt holes are used then you need to make sure RTV was placed at the seams between the block, timing cover, and valve covers. As well as the seams between the block, timing cover, and oil pan. If those are good I'd guess the gasket itself is bad.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
There are mix matched holes on the aluminum blocks as well. My kids was from a Explorer and had the same issue. I can't remember the block part numbers right now but I will try and see if I can find them this weekend.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
There are mix matched holes on the aluminum blocks as well. My kids was from a Explorer and had the same issue. I can't remember the block part numbers right now but I will try and see if I can find them this weekend.

The alu WAP blocks from explorers where 2V and used a 2V cover, this will match the 4V covers too, so I am quite sure he will have the same issue you had if using a 3V cover there.

I am curious now comparing a 3V cover from a 3V explorer that all came with iron blocks.

ChewyR

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you. I confirmed that the timing cover gasket doesn't line up with the mating surface around the 2nd hole in mustang timing cover. This is a 4v mountaineer alum block. You can see below I started to fill the second hole with grey silicone. Hoping this and a new crank seal fixes my oil leak.
20180327_150109.jpg 20180327_150100.jpg 20180327_150126.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back