07-09 GT500 or 11-12 GT500?

• 07-09 gt500

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • 11-12 GT500

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

Matt Krompier

Reaction score
Hey debating between the two been searching around online and can’t find much info that I want to know. Really basically want to know is which is the better buy. They seem to be in a fairly similar price range. I do favor the body style of the 07-09 in my opinion looks more retro. However I really want to know which is going to be better when modded all up? Thank you

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The 11-12s have alum blocks and rated 550 HP

Better choice all else equal

spectreman

forum member
Reaction score
I own an '09 GT500. Great car, possibly the best of the '05-09 gen S197. Prior to this purchase, I owned a '14 GT Track Pack. The build quality of the latter was generations ahead of the -05-09 gen. That car was solid, no creaks, moans or groans. For me, it was too nice a car.

I like the square, broad shouldered appearance of the '05-09 better than the '11-14; just a personal preference. My '09 has been lightly modded and performs well for my purposes as a daily driver. The '11-12 are slightly more powerful stock and as the other gent noted, the engine block is lighter as it is aluminum.

All in all, can't go wrong w/either and if, heaven forbid, something happened to my '09 tomorrow, I'd have zero issues w/finding an '11-12 and happily driving that.

Matt Krompier

Reaction score
I own an '09 GT500. Great car, possibly the best of the '05-09 gen S197. Prior to this purchase, I owned a '14 GT Track Pack. The build quality of the latter was generations ahead of the -05-09 gen. That car was solid, no creaks, moans or groans. For me, it was too nice a car.

I like the square, broad shouldered appearance of the '05-09 better than the '11-14; just a personal preference. My '09 has been lightly modded and performs well for my purposes as a daily driver. The '11-12 are slightly more powerful stock and as the other gent noted, the engine block is lighter as it is aluminum.

All in all, can't go wrong w/either and if, heaven forbid, something happened to my '09 tomorrow, I'd have zero issues w/finding an '11-12 and happily driving that.
I feel the same way I like the 07-09 body better. My guess is I can basically still get everything out of it like the 11-12 but just wanted to see some opinions/facts. Would rather know everything I possibly can about the 2 before I throw all that money down to buy one and sell my current baby and be unsatisfied.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
The '11-'14 blocks all have the spray-bore cylinder liners which from what I've heard makes the engine not easily re-buildable if you have an engine issue where oversized pistons would be required.
Yes, the aluminum blocks are about 100 lbs lighter, but the cheaper rebuild options for the '07-'09 (and I believe the 2010 as well) are an attraction for me.
Plus, the '07-'09 body style changes for the GT500 seem to make it more aggressive compared to the V6/GT models of the same year range, more so than the '10-'14 models.

Ultimately all GT500's, from '07 to '14, seem to be able to handle about the same amount of power before a build-up is required/recommended.
I wouldn't go past 19 psi of boost on either engine running 93 octane, if trying to be super safe.
My wife's '08 is at 18.3 pushing 656 rwhp, 661 rwtq through a mostly stock exhaust system (only different muffler, the KR ones).

Which body style would I choose?
I love the idea of having the same body style as my wife's, I'd probably look for a reverse color scheme if I got an '07-'09.
But I think I'd look for a '13-'14 since I love the taillights, the '13-'14 chassis upgrades, and the 5.8 which is an even bigger torque monster than the 5.4

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm bias and still prefer the '05-'09 body style. IMO, Ford nailed the Retro look, dropped the mic, and walked away owning that shit.
:fuckyea:

But I have to admit, the '15-'17 5.0 has grown on me. The '18+ looks like hammered horse shit, Like the original '15 S550 raped a SN-95 Edge and had a one night stand with an Austin Martin and crapped out the '18+. I just can't find love for it. Hopefully the aftermarket can do something with it. I really want to get into a '15 5.0, it's such a slick vehicle and there's deals to be had! But, I swore I wasn't going to buy another Mustang that didn't carry the GT500 badge. A slightly more daunting task than I originally thought it would be. Finding the right GT500 that hasn't been overly abused or untastefully modded, the right price, color, miles. I really don't consider location, but if it's back east or north, preferably garage kept for the winters. Most GT500 owners love their GT500's, to the point where they're proud of the price tag. That's good for them, not so great on striking a deal when a dealer actually comes in cheaper. I'll give it another year maybe, it has been nice not having a fat car note. Who knows, I may concede that if I had a GT500 I'd never enjoy it, and I'd become another UltraClassic with a sweet ride parked on pillows, LOL! Ok so it's not as funny when he's not hear to read it...

'07-'09 GT500 is my vote! The First Evil to do the badge justice.

Snakethat

forum member
Reaction score
You might consider the water leak issue that I believe ran into the 07's but I believe it was resolved that same year. I believe it was midway through. 08-09 should be ok

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back