07 gt shift noise

07mustangt

Reaction score
i own a 2007 mustang gt... with 75k miles on it. Original all around. I recently began hearing a noise while shifting from 1st to 2nd... and from 2nd to 3rd. It sounds like a grinding noise. Only when i let off the clutch and begin to accelerate. It doesnt happen when shifting from 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th. I took it to my local ford dealership because i recieved mail about an airbag recall so i had them do a diagnoses. They are telling me it needs a new clutch flywheel and transmission which i find very hard to believe. I am leaning toward a worn out clutch, or the throw out bearing but am seeking other opinions. Any input would be appreciated.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Is it a grinding or tapping? I know the 07s have a tsb for the engine seperator plate. I started getting a tapping sound after shifting around those miles then my clutch grenaded. I dont know for sure but I believe one caused the other like the clutch was making contact with the cover. Anyway the dealer could be right about the clutch anyway. Can you take a video and post it here?

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I call BS on the stealership's diagnosis. I agree that the problem does sound like a bad clutch release (throw out) bearing but you could also have worn 2nd & 3rd gear synchros.
A badly enough worn clutch plate will usually slip. It's more likely to happen in a higher gear when accelerating under a higher load so try testing 5th gear up an incline. In such a case, the flywheel may need to be refaced or replaced altogether.
If your car still has the original factory clutch assembly, it's probably past its "sell-by date".

07mustangt

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys. I dont know if id call it tapping. Honestly to me it sounds like the clutch isnt fully disenganging. I read on another forum this is called clutch drag? I paid the dealer 130$ to diagnose it and they call me and tell me im looking at 5600$ in repairs... im thinking 200$ for a clutch and a weekend of fun in the garage? Ill try to take a good video of the noise when i pick the car up monday.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Start with a new clutch and slave cylinder and go from there. I would change out the trans fluid while your at it. Highly reccomend mobil 1 full synthetic atf.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Start with a new clutch and slave cylinder and go from there. I would change out the trans fluid while your at it. Highly reccomend mobil 1 full synthetic atf.
This

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
I just put a down payment on a Magnum XL. Will be installed in a couple of weeks. If you end up needing a low mileage 3650, let me know. Only 21k miles on it, and it has fresh syncromesh, driveshaft seal, and shift shaft seal -- plus a nearly new MGW flat stick shifter with white ball. Will come with Spec clutch setup up (which sucks, but only 4k miles on it), nearly new TOB (4k miles), and the OEM driveshaft.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
1 more bit of advice, when replacing your clutch and TOB and Flywheel, check your TOB preload before you button everything up. Easy to do. With the engine separator plate still on, measure from engine block surface to clutch fingers. Then measure from transmission bell housing surface to TOB surface. Subtract that measurement from the engine block to clutch finger measurement. You should be shooting for as close to 1 inch of preload as you can get. If you are short you will need to shim between the TOB and transmission. If you don't have enough preload your clutch will always be dragging between shifts and you'll get the same grinding noise because your clutch isn't fully engaged.

Lesson learned the hard way and the method and measurements I got from a post by the Department of Boost guy. Reputable. You will need something long and flat to lay across the clutch pressure plate as well as the transmission bell housing and tape measure or ruler to get the measurements.

Why you might ask? No two brands of flywheels or clutches will have the same measurements. Once you go aftermarket and start mixing and matching, taking for granted everything will work together properly is a tiring mistake when it involves removing the transmission.

Last edited:

07mustangt

Reaction score
So i stumbled upon TSB's and TSB 05-8-8 is excatly what im expierencing.

Screenshot_20181127-184027.png

07mustangt

Reaction score
I thought the noise was during acceleration after shifting gears but it actually occurs when i let off the gas. I dont think its clutch related at all now :(

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
This TSB is for early 2005 models. You said yours was 2007.

My opinion, inspect and replace everything clutch related. Not just the clutch and flywheel and TOB. Check pilot bearing, clutch master cylinder, and brake/clutch fluid as well to make sure it's still somewhat clear like new brake fluid. If the noises go away then problem solved. If not, drive it like you stole it until you your 3650 is used up. In the meantime pickup a spare 3650 from the junkyard. I got one for $350. Then if your up for it, rebuild the original used up 3650. There are a few threads on here, search for TR3650 rebuild. All of the factory service manuals in PDF for the TR3650 are here too if you search for them. If you can pass high school algebra, you can understand the instructions and rebuild it yourself.

Or...........upgrade to the t56 magnum xl if you have the cash. My opinion on that is you can give me any transmission that starts with a "T" and I'll find a way to break it.

Last edited:

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone know why you have to replace the reverse gear in this tsb?

I have no idea. Maybe the reverse gear on the early 2005 models were somewhat of a different design that was bad or manufactured out of tolerance.

I've rebuilt my two 3650s twice with synchros, bearings, snap-rings. Never replaced any of the gears. Once you start buying and replacing gears or synchro hub assemblies, it's almost not cost effective to rebuild it.

I've trashed my 3650s pretty good. Ran one with only about a quart of fluid for awhile and I didn't know it until it seized up. I don't know where the fluid went, I had no visible signs of leaks anywhere. The bearings were trashed, but the gears were all in good shape. I'm running that same transmission again now. Works good but 1st gear whines too much, but not as loud as my exhaust, lol.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back