08 Saleen cam reccomendations

fastregalwe2

Need more powa!
Reaction score
I am looking at adding the Detroit Rocker blower cams. Thoughts/concerns?
Im running MAC LT's, JLT 110mm CAI, 62MM TB, 3.25 pulley (11psi), 4.10 gears with a manual trans

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
Anything specific you are trying to accomplish?
Torque, horsepower, sound etc?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I am looking at adding the Detroit Rocker blower cams. Thoughts/concerns?
Im running MAC LT's, JLT 110mm CAI, 62MM TB, 3.25 pulley (11psi), 4.10 gears with a manual trans

FYI 127550 cams sound nice and add a whole lot of hp. Do you have a cam card for the Detroit Rockers? It would be interesting to compare the icl and duration.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
They won't give numbers out on the Rockers.

How in the world can anyone tune for them then? As you know there's no such thing as a big secret when it comes to cams, a profile machine will give the specs out but you have to have the cam first.

I'm wondering why anyone would buy a cam without knowing the pertinent spces like duration and icl? Let alone having to run it on a profile machine or estimate yourself in a set of v blocks with a dial indicator? Must be a marketing gimmick.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I don't have a card for them. Are those you mentioned comp cams?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, Comp 127550 is a blower cam that everyone has good results with for power and driveability (provided your tuner is on the ball). It sounds pretty good too.

TRC51

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, Comp 127550 is a blower cam that everyone has good results with for power and driveability (provided your tuner is on the ball). It sounds pretty good too.

I looked at the Rockers for modest gains, but more importantly to me... driveability. I wouldn't mind the lope of the 127550's, but I also wouldn't want to rely on my tuner being on the ball either.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
How in the world can anyone tune for them then? As you know there's no such thing as a big secret when it comes to cams, a profile machine will give the specs out but you have to have the cam first.

I'm wondering why anyone would buy a cam without knowing the pertinent spces like duration and icl? Let alone having to run it on a profile machine or estimate yourself in a set of v blocks with a dial indicator? Must be a marketing gimmick.

Yeah, I dig ya. Long ago when those came out I grilled them on why they wouldn't give numbers out. They said they were a "secret". I'm like whatever man, I could simply degree them and get most of the specs. If someone wanted to copy them it would be a piece of cake.

I also told them I would NEVER buy cams that don't have a cam card. That;s just silly.

TRC51

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, I dig ya. Long ago when those came out I grilled them on why they wouldn't give numbers out. They said they were a "secret". I'm like whatever man, I could simply degree them and get most of the specs. If someone wanted to copy them it would be a piece of cake.

I also told them I would NEVER buy cams that don't have a cam card. That;s just silly.

I suppose I see the logic in this. How are you supposed to check to see if you received the right ones... or if they will work correctly for your application? You just pull them out of the box and hope they are right?

I get it.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I suppose I see the logic in this. How are you supposed to check to see if you received the right ones... or if they will work correctly for your application? You just pull them out of the box and hope they are right?

I get it.

Yeah, with 50 billion cam choices why would you chose the ones with no info?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

FWIW I'm still learning. When I first started out I suppose I would of bought into the secret thing. As time goes on I learn more. I have learned some of the basics when it comes to cams for a Ford 3v.

IMO it's pretty hard to beat what Comp has come up with for cam profiles. They are a cam company who understands internal combustion motor theory and practice. It's also hard to beat the FRPP Hot Rods for a na car with stock valve springs and no phaser limiters. Ford designed them for a specific truck competition a number of years ago. I think that Lunati has some interesting looking grinds that keep the valve lift around .500 but still have decent durations.

I have gotten somewhat sick of the marketing that comes with the performance industry. It's probably necessary to run a healthy business but some of it just turns me off.

Edit: OP: Saleen came up with the 127300 profile for their Parnelli Jones 3v. It works well with just about everything. IIRC I gained about 25/25 with a Whipple when I went from stock cams to the 127300. They have enough lobe separation to help a pd blower. I think I could of gotten more power from them had I known more about cam tuning. They don't lope much at all and are fairly easy to tune for driveability. They aren't the cam if you are looking for lope.

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I have gotten somewhat sick of the marketing that comes with the performance industry. It's probably necessary to run a healthy business but some of it just turns me off.
You should see the bullshit that goes on with the S550.

"Our bolt on blower kit made 690hp!!!"
(with bigger injectors, a pump booster, headers, no cats, cat back, perfect conditions. And oh yeah, $20/gal race fuel and 7900rpm!!!!)

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
I looked at the Rockers for modest gains, but more importantly to me... driveability. I wouldn't mind the lope of the 127550's, but I also wouldn't want to rely on my tuner being on the ball either.

Get in touch with Lito, I have a set of bbr stage 2s, they have stupid overlap and Manuel has gotten my drivability better than the tune I had with 127300's

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back