'17 Ford GT - 647hp, 550 torque

J B

Goldmember
Reaction score
ford fell ass backwards into that, they had no plans to put the 3.5 in a lemans vehicle when it was developed. Just lucky, and they can keep pushing their egoboost agenda. The modulars can't compete with the LS style engines of similar displacement so they couldn't just put a 5.2 V8 in there.
Id read about the Ford Cosworth DFV some. Most winning engine in F1 history. Dohc is the way to make power!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
ford fell ass backwards into that, they had no plans to put the 3.5 in a lemans vehicle when it was developed. Just lucky, and they can keep pushing their egoboost agenda. The modulars can't compete with the LS style engines of similar displacement so they couldn't just put a 5.2 V8 in there.

A stock 5.0 Mustang is making 440hp iirc. What does it take for a stock LS motor to make that much power? What does a 5.3 LS make stock?

I have a 4.8 LQ (iron LS) in my pickup and it makes 293hp. Not even close to the 5.0 pickup at 385hp.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
A stock 5.0 Mustang is making 440hp iirc. What does it take for a stock LS motor to make that much power? What does a 5.3 LS make stock?

I have a 4.8 LQ (iron LS) in my pickup and it makes 293hp. Not even close to the 5.0 pickup at 385hp.

I think he's referring to the C7-R vette engine they run in GTLM. They do put out alot of horsepower, but not what the Ecoboost is capable of(speaking in endurance racing terms). The Ford GT was pulling every single GT car on the straights at Daytona yesterday.

J B

Goldmember
Reaction score
Yeah the c7r is what a 5.5L??

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah the c7r is what a 5.5L??

Yes 5.5L 2 valve engine. Apparently they don't want VVT and overhead cams because of center of gravity and fuel mileage on the race car. They have the C7-R car at optimum performance level and they can't squeeze out another drop of performance. Whereas the Ecoboost in the GT as well as the Ferrari and Porsche's have room to grow. The vette's are holding back the entire class because they are stuck in their dinosaur ways.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
The LS55R engine in the C7R is an LS7 derived motor with direct injection, limited to 5.5l by the class regulations. They were able to add direct injection when the LT1 made it into production. With the current limitations and restrictors, the engine makes around 550hp. Unrestricted, however, it's around 750hp.

You really can't -- and shouldn't -- compare motors across the GTLM board by looking at vehicle speed. Those cars are vastly different, and IMSA/NASCAR is always trying to even it out by limiting power, weight, downforce, fuel tank size, and so on. Comparing the race cars to each other, and trying to apply the same difference to the street cars, just becomes an exercise in futility.

Moving on, the GT gets so shitty gas mileage because of the antilag constantly running. They're pumping gas through it to keep the turbos spooled. It's no different than the current M3/M4 in Sport Plus mode. The GT does have some nice tech. I'm particularly curious about the suspension and aero adjustabilities being run off the power steering pump.

...on a more personal level; plenty of other cars out there I'd rather spend half a million on.

Yes 5.5L 2 valve engine. Apparently they don't want VVT and overhead cams because of center of gravity and fuel mileage on the race car. They have the C7-R car at optimum performance level and they can't squeeze out another drop of performance. Whereas the Ecoboost in the GT as well as the Ferrari and Porsche's have room to grow. The vette's are holding back the entire class because they are stuck in their dinosaur ways.

You can't just stick a DOHC engine in the C7R. No production Corvette has that, so they're not allowed to use it.

Yes, Porsche was stretching it with the new, mid-engined 911RSR.

Last edited:

J B

Goldmember
Reaction score
Not yet until this new C8. The Zora vette supposedly is dohc. Its got the same code name as the old Zr1 engine from the C4.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
The LS55R engine in the C7R is an LS7 derived motor with direct injection, limited to 5.5l by the class regulations. They were able to add direct injection when the LT1 made it into production. With the current limitations and restrictors, the engine makes around 550hp. Unrestricted, however, it's around 750hp.

You really can't -- and shouldn't -- compare motors across the GTLM board by looking at vehicle speed. Those cars are vastly different, and IMSA/NASCAR is always trying to even it out by limiting power, weight, downforce, fuel tank size, and so on. Comparing the race cars to each other, and trying to apply the same difference to the street cars, just becomes an exercise in futility.

Moving on, the GT gets so shitty gas mileage because of the antilag constantly running. They're pumping gas through it to keep the turbos spooled. It's no different than the current M3/M4 in Sport Plus mode. The GT does have some nice tech. I'm particularly curious about the suspension and aero adjustabilities being run off the power steering pump.

...on a more personal level; plenty of other cars out there I'd rather spend half a million on.

You can't just stick a DOHC engine in the C7R. No production Corvette has that, so they're not allowed to use it.

Yes, Porsche was stretching it with the new, mid-engined 911RSR.

I like the new Porsche, but the production car is not mid-engine. It's amazing how they can bend the rules how they want between production and race car isn't it ? It's a flat 6 but sounds more like a V-8. I do miss the sound of the turbo engine though. All in all you are right about the Balance of performance field leveling. I hate it and wish they would just set class rules at the beginning of the year and not screw with rules every single race to try to even the playing field. We can all thank Bill France and his air restrictors for that.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
All in all you are right about the Balance of performance field leveling. I hate it and wish they would just set class rules at the beginning of the year and not screw with rules every single race to try to even the playing field. We can all thank Bill France and his air restrictors for that.
GT Class rules should be as follows (IMO)

Production:
-Block
-Heads
-Cams
-Bore
-Stroke
-Intake manifold
-Throttle body(s)

Everyone breathes through the same restictor. If you can't compete, build a better street car.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score

Production:
-Block
-Heads
-Cams
-Bore
-Stroke
-Intake manifold
-Throttle body(s)

Everyone breathes through the same restictor. If you can't compete, build a better street car.

Right the fuck on. Build a better car, and they will come.

J B

Goldmember
Reaction score
Right the fuck on. Build a better car, and they will come.
Racing used to be better. Constructors actually were a part of getting to the championship. Now, any car thats entered gets balanced to be competitive taking the responsibility from the manufacturer. Same thing as nascar. Everyone uses the same parts they just get different sticker kits

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Production:
-Block
-Heads
-Cams
-Bore
-Stroke
-Intake manifold
-Throttle body(s)

Ridiculous room for innovation right there.

J B

Goldmember
Reaction score
Ridiculous room for innovation right there.
It would be like the 80's in F1 where people were learning how to make power in outrageous quantities again.

J B

Goldmember
Reaction score
Homologation racers make street cars better. Hands down period end of discussion.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Homologation racers make street cars better. Hands down period end of discussion.

600 and 1000cc sporbikes are a perfect example of that. With good tires and the right springs for the rider you can get within 2sec of lap records with street bikes. It's amazing.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back