2005 GT driveshaft

Flusher

Reaction score
I did adjust the pinion angle but that was more for drag strip purposes and I run -2 degrees rather than the zero that the instructions call for.

Did you experiment with different angles at the track? What did you see for your results?

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
Once you get it and installed, you mind giving us your opinion of it?
It arrived last night. It came in the usual white ford performance box but the brief instruction sheet provided had Dana Spicer written all over it. Gonna install it today. My plan is to measure angle at the transmission flange and then measure angle at the pinion flange and then adjust my UCA to get them close to matching as possible. I have BMR motor mounts with engine mounted higher than normal to clear the steering shaft due to BBK shorty headers. Also have the blowfish shifter bracket so I'm guessing I've a couple degrees of downward angle at the transmission flange. I have all BMR stuff out back with stock springs so I'll adjust pinion with an upward angle matching the downward angle of the transmission to get them parrellel.. Then I'll install driveshaft and hope the total operating angle isn't more than 3 or 4 degrees. I'll post results tomorrow if it all works out.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did you experiment with different angles at the track? What did you see for your results?
I set it at -2 degrees rather than 0 due to the fact that a drag style launch will lift the pinion and the thought at starting at zero and it going positive did not sit well with me. Many members here from the past used -2 degrees as a starting point, BMR reccommended it somewhere along the lines as well.

I did not try different angles as I've only had 2 track nights since getting the driveshaft and the first trip was datalogging so I was trying to keep things consistent. The second trip was marred by clutch issues with only 1 clean run. I had way too much antisquat dilaed in so the best 60 ft was a 1.81, the only "clean" run was a 1.89 with a severe bog.

I probably won't be playing with the pinion angle until I have fully sorted the launch RPM, shock and strut settings, tire pressure settings, and control arm geometry. For a street car, I just don't have the resources or seat time available to really dial it in-otherwise my car would be at least a half second quicker than in my signature. Not looking good for getting any track time in this year...

Last edited:

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
Install was fairly easy except working around my blowfish shifter bracket. It has the benefit of also providing a driveshaft loop but it's more like a fucking cage that surrounds the tailshaft and front part of the driveshaft. Trying to get the front driveshaft bolts in and started was not easy. Like I guessed I started with tailshaft angle being -2 down. So I set my pinion angle at +2 up. I didn't even remember to check the driveshaft angle after it was installed to calculate the total operating angle. No matter. Drove away and it was buttery smooth up to around 100mph. Never had a chance to push any faster. My shifter handle used to vibrate like a sybian. No vibes now. It's only been 1 day but the easiest thing to notice was roll on the throttle power in 5th gear from 50mph and up. Picked up speed faster and smoother.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Install was fairly easy except working around my blowfish shifter bracket. It has the benefit of also providing a driveshaft loop but it's more like a fucking cage that surrounds the tailshaft and front part of the driveshaft. Trying to get the front driveshaft bolts in and started was not easy.
I definitely know this to be true when I installed mine!

saleen836

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone know or heard if the DS Shop are way behind with production?
Lethal P informed me the DSS were running 5/6 weeks behind, it has been 11 weeks and still no update on if my order has been dispatched from DSS yet!

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
This is why I went with the FRPP driveshaft from Summit Racing back at the beginning of quarantine. Looking at my post above it was first week of June. Of all the vendor websites, they were the only ones ready to ship and only the FRPP unit was available. Ended up spending just a little more than I wanted to but I got it in about 3 days.

Sorry I know this answer doesn't help your situation. Maybe it's not too late to cancel and order from a new vendor that you can verify has one in stock.

Laga

Reaction score
Sorry, when I ordered mine, it was the last one in stock. Got it right away.

MrBhp

Reaction score
Anyone know or heard if the DS Shop are way behind with production?
Lethal P informed me the DSS were running 5/6 weeks behind, it has been 11 weeks and still no update on if my order has been dispatched from DSS yet!
When I ordered mine from lethal, they informed me a week after taking my money that they were out of stock. Really screwed me over since that money was held up on my credit card for awhile. It was all the room I had on the card I use for the car. Beefcake had it in stock, but at a higher price. I preferred to pay the extra. I doubt I ever go back to Lethal

saleen836

forum member
Reaction score
I emailed Lethal P on July 8 asking for an update where they informed me of the 5/6 week lead time (Order placed May 29), emailed Lethal P again earlier today and they are now saying my driveshaft was shipped and delivered early June!

saleen836

forum member
Reaction score
Update- have spoken with my contact in California where my order was being shipped to be put in a container (LP don't ship to the UK) contact has confirmed my driveshaft has been delivered to them and is being packed into the container on Tuesday of next week :)

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Update- have spoken with my contact in California where my order was being shipped to be put in a container (LP don't ship to the UK) contact has confirmed my driveshaft has been delivered to them and is being packed into the container on Tuesday of next week :)

Damn they’ve had it a month and a half from lethal and are just now about to post it to you? It would have kept sitting if you didn’t call.

saleen836

forum member
Reaction score
Damn they’ve had it a month and a half from lethal and are just now about to post it to you? It would have kept sitting if you didn’t call.
The company that is shipping it here to the UK only do a monthly container so it wouldn't have made June 1st container anyway, I had no reason to check if my order had arrived with them as LP informed me it hadn't been shipped from DSS

saleen836

forum member
Reaction score
Thread revival!
It has been a while but with a delay from DSS as they were on back order then waiting for the container to arrive here in the UK I finaly dropped my car off with my mechanic last night for him to fit the prop shaft today,that is as far as it got as he hit a big snag!
The bottom of the gear linkage catches on the shaft! :angry1:

The part circled in this photo is the offending item! (that along with a screw/rivet on the shaft right where it meets said item)
Was this part added by Saleen to give the short shift?IMG_1267_LI.jpg

saleen836

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, after a little bit of research the part circled is indeed what Saleen fit to the stock linkage to shorten the throw, also found an old post on a forum saying to NOT install the Saleen short shifter block if running an after market drive shaft as it fouls!
Unless anyone has a work around I guess I will get my mechanic to remove the SS block and revert it back to standard throw.

Laga

Reaction score
Bummer!! How much does it hit by? How much does something have to move to make it clear?

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
I have an FRPP driveshaft, blowfish shifter bracket, and a UPR billet shifter. I don't have interference problems. Also my car rides on stock springs so my rear axle is farther from the floor boards and transmission tunnel. And I have BMR motor mounts spaced a little higher so my shorty headers clear the steering shaft.

I think and hope a different shifter would solve your problems. Unfortunately I don't see a fast and easy solution for you. It's gonna be difficult if not impossible to get different measurements on all of the aftermarket shifter's out there so you can find the shortest one and then order it. Maybe you can call/email each manufacturer and ask for specs to compare and find the shortest one. Good luck with that.

Or maybe, just maybe, you can mount the transmission just a little lower by trimming the transmission mount bushing. Or raise the engine just a little bit which will lower the angle of the transmission and driveshaft. There are a few different things you can change that will hopefully fix your clearance problem.

Think about it like this. If you put the car on jackstands and let the rear axle droop like your changing the tires, I bet you solve your clearance problem. Kinda like cutting your bump stops when you install lowering springs.

Last edited:

saleen836

forum member
Reaction score
Bummer!! How much does it hit by? How much does something have to move to make it clear?
With the car in neutral and the rear wheels lifted they wont turn!
You should be able to see how close it is in the following photo, there is also as I mentioned before a screw or a rivet on the drive shaft which catches on thus preventing it turning.
IMG_1266_LI.jpg

Laga

Reaction score
Without seeing the rivet, I’m guessing it’s there to balance the DS, so there’s not much you can do with that. I have an auto. Is there a way you can shim the shifter to raise it? Put washers between trans mount and body to lower back of trans? Is the part of the shifter something that can be grounded off?

Back