2005 Mustang GT 4.6L mystery gremlin

cwaypony

Reaction score
Need help trying to figure out what is going on with my GT. The car runs perfectly until I am about 30 mins into driving when it shuts off like someone turned off the key. Seems to happen a little quicker on a hot day. When you try to restart it no crank , click or anything though all other power works (windows, radio, fan etc). Wait a few hours then it magically starts like nothing ever happened. Runs perfect for 30-40 minutes then shuts down. Engine not overheating. Have checked all fuses/relays. Car has never been in the rain or winter driven so SJB is in perfect shape and still looks brand new. Took it to the Ford dealer who had it for two weeks and did reprogram, PATS reset, reset keys and charged 300 bucks. Didn't even get it home and same thing again. You know when it will not start if the odometer shows dashes instead of miles when you turn the key (37K miles on the car). Changed PCM diode - no difference. Can any of the circuits overheat and come back to life once cooled off? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The odometer showing all dashes means the instrument cluster lost communication with the PCM. No active PCM=No Start. I would hope the dealer scanned for codes and found none?

I suspect a faulty alternator or a faulty PCM. Time to check for AC ripple. If there is no detectable AC volts, I'm hesitant to suggest this, you have a PCM failing.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
I experienced exactly the same symptoms in my old Jeep Cherokee XJ and the problem was a bad crank position sensor. Heat soaking of the failing sensor tends to aggravate the problem and that's what's happening in your case.
Fortunately it's on the front passenger side of the engine and is easy to replace.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I experienced exactly the same symptoms in my old Jeep Cherokee XJ and the problem was a bad crank position sensor. Heat soaking of the failing sensor tends to aggravate the problem and that's what's happening in your case.
Fortunately it's on the front passenger side of the engine and is easy to replace.
A bad crank sensor will be a CRANK and no start, not a "no crank and odo dashes".

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Voltage reads 14.2 with the car idling............
That is DC,. Need to check for AC, aka bad diode in rectifier.
Might as well measure DC at 3000 rpms, make sure it is not overcharging (anything over 14.9v).

DieHarder

Reaction score
Sounds like it's thermally (heat) related (thermal expansion of wiring/connections or subsystem boxes). Under the right circumstances a loss of signal/ground or connectivity can be the result. Unfortunately, they can be very difficult to troubleshoot. IMO I'd have a hard time pointing to an alternator as the car restarts once it cools down (if it were an alternator/AC issue the battery should be discharged by now). Crank sensor; maybe. Since it may be a primary suspect you might want to check the connector/wiring for that first and retest (idle until fail/or not).

Next, I'd take a fan and point it at the PCM to see if it is failing due to heat. If it doesn't fail (or extends the time to fail) after a normal heat soak period (30 mins) you're probably in the right area. Alternatively, you could take a heat gun and point it at suspect areas/items to fail a faulty unit/connection early. If you can again you're likely in the right area. Obviously, if using a heat gun be careful Not to melt wiring or plastic components....

The shop should have given you some pointers of areas/items that are suspect if they're following basic troubleshooting procedures. Many shops unfortunately are slaves to their test equipment; if it doesn't tell them exactly what's wrong they're clueless.

For Basic Circuit Checks with No DTC's present check out the PCM Emission Diagnosis manual: http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=143 Start w/Section 2 - Diagnosis methods and Section 5 - Pin Point Tests for suspect areas you want to check.

In this case sounds like you're losing connectivity of a critical signal (or possibly a ground) once the engine or engine bay reaches a certain temp. If it turns out Not to be the crank sensor you may want to engage in what I term Brute force troubleshooting. Maybe not the most efficient but can be effective.

You can be methodical about it - clean a few connectors/terminals at a time and retest to see if symptoms have changed. When you see a change you're likely on the right track.

I'd go thru the entire harness; starting w/the engine bay PCM connectors & Grounds; disconnect them - check for any loose connectors/corrosion - clean where appropriate and add a little dielectric grease - put them all back together (mark the ones you've checked with a paint marker and retest for symptoms). Take apart the Fuse/BEC blocks - check for any burned/discolored/corroded connectors. If you find any check in the electrical manual ( https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40 ) to see what circuit/subsystem its a part of which should help you narrow down the problem area.

DieHarder

Reaction score
If you don't have DTC's to work with start with Section 3 - No DTC's present.

AboStangster

Reaction score
I had a very similar problem that took me forever to track down.

I had a flaky Fuel Inertia Switch and Fuel Filter Relay which seemed to short out or overheat after about 40 minutes.

I went through the troubleshooting steps Diehard mentioned. When I got to the fuse block I noticed the Fuel Filter Relay was bulging so I changed it and made sure all wires were properly seated.

The problem continued Intermittently which led me to the Inertia switch which was open when the car was running but closed when it was not.

The Fuel Filter Relay is in the fuse box under the hood and Fuel Filter Relay is behind the drivers side under dash kickplate.

I hope this helps. Good luck buddy.

cwaypony

Reaction score
Ok so the PCM is defective. Ford doesn't have the one I need and no guess on when they will. Anyone have any good experience with other suppliers? carcomputerexchange, flagship one etc

Sammy70

Reaction score
IMO, Flagship one is TERRIBLE to deal with. Been there, done that, got burned, etc....

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Ok so the PCM is defective. Ford doesn't have the one I need and no guess on when they will. Anyone have any good experience with other suppliers? carcomputerexchange, flagship one etc
Just to be clear, ford dealer checked stock and no dealer in the US of A has one in stock?

cwaypony

Reaction score
So the dealer says. Supposedly will get an anticipated ETA but still waiting for that. If I get an aftermarket and/or "refurbished" one then I take my chances on whether it works or not and pay for the re/re each time the dealer tries to program it.

Back