2007 GT Horn won't stop

Docktour Z

McRibber
Reaction score
So I was at the grocery store and I hear a horn blaring, I laugh it off and think man that sucks. I return to my car to find it is mine (it was running because of my dog being in there). Turning the car off caused the horn to stop. I removed the fuse/relay associated with the horn under the hood and started it back up thinking it would stop and it did but then starting honking in sporadic tones. Driving home it would blare and then stop and then make successive honks and then blare. It sounds like a loose connection. I read something about removing the horn pad to check the foam and see how that is holding up. Any ideas?

Newman

sumidicsayhuh?
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why do you just unplug the connector for now, on the actual horn ?

Docktour Z

McRibber
Reaction score
is it a plug-and-play or a cut-and-tape? I am very ignorant when it comes to electronics.

edit: found the plug and removed the connection. Is there any where to start troubleshooting besides just removal of the horn?

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
Does the horn run through the SJB? That is the first place I would look when lights start flashing and turning on and off by themselves. Any rain where you have been at lately? is there any dampness on the passenger floor boards?

Docktour Z

McRibber
Reaction score
I had the issue of the rain tray flooding about a year ago but I fixed that and now keep an eye on it. There was standing water and that area was damp; I did dry it thoroughly. For now it seems to be behaving re-connected but I have a feeling it will make me look like an ass again.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I would pull the SJB and clean off any corrosion. It might be OK, it might not.

Docktour Z

McRibber
Reaction score
What exactly is SJB? This seems to only be happening on colder nights.

I have read that there is a foam that can wear over time or plastic that can shrink (especially when cold) . This was on older cars rather than the s197. Anyone familiar with ours?

Last edited:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
the SJB is the little brain in the passenger side footwell behind the kick panel

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
The horn "circuit" does go through the SJB, which can and will cause strange things to happen. My '08 GT's horn went inop instead of constant-on. Didn't bother doing anything about it until after every once in a while the windows behaved strangely.

Norm

BlackMustang690

BlackMustang690
Reaction score
The horn "circuit" does go through the SJB, which can and will cause strange things to happen. My '08 GT's horn went inop instead of constant-on. Didn't bother doing anything about it until after every once in a while the windows behaved strangely.

Norm

Ill second that, the Horn does go thru the SJB my just stopped working and it seems that's when you need your horn the most so I opened it up and some water had got in there and corroded some pins. One of the pins had broken from the corrosion and it was the horn so I jumped a wire from another pin and it worked. Becareful if you do pull the SBJ as it is very fragile, if you drop it from a height its done, and pulling it apart can be difficult because of all the pins going thru the cover.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
My horn pin also broke on the SJB (water issues).
I had to make a little nub out of a staple to contact what was left of the pin to the harness.

Docktour Z

McRibber
Reaction score
So I pulled the SJB and found corrosion. I also found corrosion on the fuse box... Nice. So I used contact cleaner and a nylon brush to remove the corrosion. My power mirrors stopped working and I don't want this to snowball (noticed about 2 months ago). Besides replacing the fuses, removing the surface corrosion and cleaning the contacts what else should I do? My mirrors are still not working. The horn is disconnected for now.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Pull the passenger side cowl and re-caulk.
Also check to make sure that the drains are not full of crap in there.
I would do this before the Smart Junction Box is replaced.

BlackMustang690

BlackMustang690
Reaction score
Pull the passenger side cowl and re-caulk.
Also check to make sure that the drains are not full of crap in there.
I would do this before the Smart Junction Box is replaced.

I tried keeping it out of the rain too. If its missing pins you can jump them with other but not much than buying a new one.

Docktour Z

McRibber
Reaction score
I have incorporated the regiment of cleaning the grommets each time I was the car. So none of the pins are actually broken, they were just corroded but I cleaned with electronics cleaner with a toothbrush/nylon brush which removed everything. Is there anything related that could be effecting power mirrors?

Docktour Z

McRibber
Reaction score
and now my door locks are going nuts. Pulled the SJB and scrubbed everything. I had some moisture in my foot-well. Am I missing any areas of leakage? I know about the two in the tray below the front windshield.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
and now my door locks are going nuts. Pulled the SJB and scrubbed everything. I had some moisture in my foot-well. Am I missing any areas of leakage? I know about the two in the tray below the front windshield.

i would also look at the actual clip holes, there are little foam peices that go bad below the pastic hole and the actual metal. i made new onea by tracing onto new foam and cutting.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back