2007 mstang engine swap

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Talk to flapjack. He dropped a F-150 5.4 into his v6 and it makes just over 1000hp on E85. Pretty sure you just need a harness conversion for that

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I couldn't disagree more. You're stuck on your impression of mod motors from the 90's. A LOT has changed. They're incredibly efficient, easy to work on, cheap to build, and make ridiculous amounts of power with less cubes. Compare the 444hp Boss 5.0L to the 426hp 1LE 6.2L GM -As efficient? No. Or, how about the 662hp supercharged 5.8L GT500 vs the 580hp supercharged 6.2L ZL1? Hmm, not even close there either. So why on earth would Ford even think about more cubes, or pushrods? They won't. There's no reason to fix something that isn't broken.

My 800hp 5.4L is still all stock except the supercharger. It idles like glass, gets 20mpg, and could be driven across the country in any weather conditions without a hiccup. I couldn't ask for anything more. I've had my share of pushrod motors, and I'll never look back.

I think you're stuck on pushrod's not for the reasons you say, but because it's all you know.

School him, Sam. :clap:

STL2SLO

Reaction score
I think you're stuck on pushrod's not for the reasons you say said:
Why makes you think that I don't know mod motors? Please share your take on this? I am making my decision on power to cost to build. But if your saying a mod motor is the cheapest to build. Please explain to me how? Name one budget build that has made tons of power? Wow you bring up the new 5.0 yeah 15 years it took to make a engine that makes more power than a chevy STOCK. But no one knows what Chevy's next generation will do. yes the ls motors are on the way out and being replaced by the new lt1 series. The most efficient engine is the one that makes the most power in N/A form on the same compression ratio and also with on the same psi on forced induction. PSI on a forced induction application is a direct measurement of inefficiency. But please correct me any where that I am wrong at. I am always willing to learn and be corrected. As that is the only way to learn. When both companies come out with v6 engines that make as much as older v8 engines that is call technology advancement. Do you think the aftermarket companies stop developing for the old push rod engines. Actually the factories are always behind aftermarket development. If they wasn't there would be no need for a aftermarket cause there would be no room for improvement. I am not loyal to any brand for me it's all about going fast weather it be ford,gm,dodge and even if they made one of those piggy bank cars that hauled ass.

STL2SLO

Reaction score
wow since I have made this thread I have been nothing but attacked and insulted. You people are something else. Only a couple of people had anything of value to add to my question. Maybe the site should be changed to opinion instead of tech.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Maybe this site isn't for you. If you take what we're saying as personally as you are, there are other boards better suited for you that are more sensitive to your feelings. What I said in my reply wasn't opinion, it was fact. Sorry it didn't fall in line with your opinion.

This board in general has better tech than probably any other Mustang site out there, but don't let the door hit you on your way out.

STL2SLO

Reaction score
Maybe this site isn't for you. If you take what we're saying as personally as you are, there are other boards better suited for you that are more sensitive to your feelings. What I said in my reply wasn't opinion, it was fact. Sorry it didn't fall in line with your opinion.

This board in general has better tech than probably any other Mustang site out there, but don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Nah my feelings isnt hurt if anything its the other way around.I cant help u poures all you money something that can be done for half the price.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Nah my feelings isnt hurt if anything its the other way around.I cant help u poures all you money something that can be done for half the price.

Now that's just ignorance. Go build your car the way you want, then come back and tell us how it worked out for you. I already know what it takes, I've done it. So have many others who offered you advice.

STL2SLO

Reaction score
Now that's just ignorance. Go build your car the way you want, then come back and tell us how it worked out for you. I already know what it takes, I've done it. So have many others who offered you advice.

Yep you convinced me to change my mind, lmao. I would have and will do it the way I want, lol. You on a stock bottom end or built? Stock heads or have you had work done? Tell us how much you have in your motor. Then tell what is cheaper to build push rods or mod motor show me my ignorance. Like I said you compared two motors and one on its last year of use. Gm engines only carry for 15 years. So really you was camparing a motor that was or is already obsolete. Gm just done what many people was already doing. So really who displayed ignorance? Really what advice was given? Did I ask any about engine setups? If so please point it out to me. Its not advice when I already know before it was said. So that statement is irrelevant. So don't get butt hurt when I speak the truth.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Moved to chit chat. There isn't much tech here. The op asked about the a/c and got his answer.

FWIW John Mihovitz is running low 6's with a 281 cubic inch mod motor. It's not a daily driver though.

OP, the other responders have been spot on. You are the one starting the crap and you have gotten pretty ruffled when something is said back that doesn't agree with you. It's obvious you are lacking knowledge about the mod motor platform and the tuning capabilities of the Spanish Oak processor. I personally think that BS3 or fast will be more difficult than using SCT Advantage and the stock ecu but it's totally your call. My experience is with Advantage. I've seen the stand alone software being used and the tuner showed me why he didn't like it as well as the Advantage I use. He had most of the same options but very few canned parameters for things like injectors or even basic tables to start with that were for the motor he was tuning.

It really sounds like you already had your mind made up before posting this thread. Since this is web site dedicated to a mod motor powered car I don't think you will find what you are looking for here. I can't understand why you would you even start the debate after you had your answer about the a/c? The folks who suggested staying with a mod motor were only trying to help you save your hard earned money. They aren't trying to debate you.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
Yep you convinced me to change my mind, lmao. I would have and will do it the way I want, lol. You on a stock bottom end or built? Stock heads or have you had work done? Tell us how much you have in your motor. Then tell what is cheaper to build push rods or mod motor show me my ignorance. Like I said you compared two motors and one on its last year of use. Gm engines only carry for 15 years. So really you was camparing a motor that was or is already obsolete. Gm just done what many people was already doing. So really who displayed ignorance? Really what advice was given? Did I ask any about engine setups? If so please point it out to me. Its not advice when I already know before it was said. So that statement is irrelevant. So don't get butt hurt when I speak the truth.

MjAxMy0zYWI3YWI1M2ViYTU0ZmY1_512eecff90c50.png

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score

As I've already said, my motor is all stock except the supercharger. It's an incredibly simple setup.

As for the Boss being obsolete, then use the regular 5.0L at 420hp in it's place if you'd like. It still proves my efficiency point.

As for your ignorance, it was that you think you can build a push rod motor making the same power as mine for half the price. Go do it. Prove me wrong. As for the price, well I paid $11,500 for a wrecked GT500 that already had the Whipple and longtubes. I spend another $2k in supporting mods. I then sold off my existing powertrain and remnants of the wrecked car for a little over $8k in total. However you want to break that down as what it cost me, is up to you. So go build you a reliable 800rwh pushrod motor, and let me know how it went moneywise. You'll see very quickly it's not cheap or easy.

In fact, "Marc S" on this board went the pushrod route with a Nascar motor. Hit him up and see if he'll tell you how much money the whole project cost. That should give you an idea.

The advice that was given was to stick with a modular to meet your goals. Sure you didn't ask for that, but when you come in here trying to do something that can be done a cheaper and easier way, we offer up advice, or the option, to help you out. I'm sorry that courtesy has fallen on deaf, or rather unappreciated, ears/eyes.

Please review all the recent posts to see who really is the "butt hurt" one. And pay close attention to the person claiming to be "attacked or insulted", as well as calling someone a "fucktard."

Last edited:

STL2SLO

Reaction score
Moved to chit chat. There isn't much tech here. The op asked about the a/c and got his answer.

FWIW John Mihovitz is running low 6's with a 281 cubic inch mod motor. It's not a daily driver though.

OP, the other responders have been spot on. You are the one starting the crap and you have gotten pretty ruffled when something is said back that doesn't agree with you. It's obvious you are lacking knowledge about the mod motor platform and the tuning capabilities of the Spanish Oak processor. I personally think that BS3 or fast will be more difficult than using SCT Advantage and the stock ecu but it's totally your call. My experience is with Advantage. I've seen the stand alone software being used and the tuner showed me why he didn't like it as well as the Advantage I use. He had most of the same options but very few canned parameters for things like injectors or even basic tables to start with that were for the motor he was tuning.

It really sounds like you already had your mind made up before posting this thread. Since this is web site dedicated to a mod motor powered car I don't think you will find what you are looking for here. I can't understand why you would you even start the debate after you had your answer about the a/c? The folks who suggested staying with a mod motor were only trying to help you save your hard earned money. They aren't trying to debate you.

Well if its a site mod motors then I apologize. I was under the impression that it was a model website. Considering its called s197forum.com. I will deactivate or whatever I moved to yellowbullet. As stated before 750 wasnt really my power goals it will be much more than that.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
:popcorneat: You came onto a forum for a car that is based on the mod motor. Don't know what you want from us :crazy:

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Last pushrod motor I built cost me $8500 and made the same power as my stock 4.6 with 8 lbs of boost. I really don't see it as that much cheaper to build a pushrod motor the right way. Part for part, the cost isn't that much different and the 4.6 has a lot more stock parts that are big power capable than what you find on your average stock big or small block chev or ford.
I love pushrods and carburetors but the potential of the mod motor platform can't be denied, look at the latest engine master's challenge.

awesome autocorrect malfunctions brought to you by tapatalk

Last edited:

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
This is completely true a modular engine will always be limited for cubes by design. Unless ford completely redesigns the block, which will never happen. To be honest I bet they wished they had stayed with a push rod design like chevy did. There is a reason ls motors are so much cheaper than modular engines.They are cheaper to build and manufacture by design and just as efficient. If ford could have looked into the future to see the technology advancements that has been made. They would have scraped the mod motor idea. This is also why it took so long for the aftermarket to support the mod motors. If you new to mod motors and was playing with them in 90's like I was. There wasn't a lot of after market support.

LOL! :ftard:

BlazinBoss302

forum member
Reaction score
wow since I have made this thread I have been nothing but attacked and insulted. You people are something else. Only a couple of people had anything of value to add to my question. Maybe the site should be changed to opinion instead of tech.

You come off as a dick is probably why you're getting attacked. No insult intended but I just read this thread from start to where I'm quoting you. You come off as a dick....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk now Free

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
In fact, "Marc S" on this board went the pushrod route with a Nascar motor. Hit him up and see if he'll tell you how much money the whole project cost. That should give you an idea.

My 734whp 284ci pump gas Mod motor with the super charger and fuel system cost me roughly $12,000. New, the Roush Yates 358ci 817 naturally aspirated sbf NASCAR Cup engine that's in my car costs $60,000. I Bought mine used from Yates and freshened it. The parts in these engines are very expensive and would be overkill for street use or even drag race use. So it's not a fair comparison of cost. The Mod motors certainly can make big power with a power adder. But in NA form, they can't compare to a larger displacement engine. The Mod Motors make great hp per cubic inch in NA form. But as we know, they suffer from displacement. However, HP wins races not HP per cubic inch. But all things being equal, if you took a Mod Motor with the same cylinder head flow, compression, camshaft etc, the engine with the most displacement would make more power. If I just had a bare S197 chassis and wanted to build a 1000whp engine for drag racing that had mild street manners and I didn't care about gas mileage, it would be a 600+ NA BBF. If mileage was a little bit of a concern, I could take my 358, lower the compression, install a much milder camshaft, and then put twin turbos on it. With a Fast fuel injection, I bet it would get close to 20 mpg on the highway and make north of 1200whp on pump gas.

As I noted, my 358 in NA form makes 817 hp and I shift it at 8800 rpms. Even though it has 11.96:1 compression, I bet I could run it on pump gas because the Yates chamber is very efficient and the camshaft is .803 lift and the duration is 280 @ .050. Even though it idles at 2400 RPMs, the engine is very drivable. It idles at 13.8-14.0 A/F and the A/F at a steady 3,500 RPMs is 14.4. That's the beauty of custom $1,000 carburetors. The only thing that makes my car unbearable on the street is the un-sprung triple disc clutch. That being said, the fuel economy during normal driving couldn't be very good. However, even though the 358 makes roughly the same power as my supercharged 4.6 did, it uses 1/3 less fuel while racing. With the 4.6, I had to fill my gas tank 3 times a day. With the 358, I fill it in the morning and I still have over a 1/4 of a tank at the end of the day. Why is this? Well, NASCAR spends a lot of R&D on fuel economy. That, and the 4.6 at full throttle was tuned for 11.5 A/F and the 358 is at 12.8.

I'm glad that I made the move to a pushrod platform because the Mod motor didn't work for the application that my car lives in. That environment is 99.999999% road racing and endurance events and .000001% street car.

Even though I achieved the goals that I set for myself with the 4.6 and I really like the Mod platform and the direction that Ford had taken it, I never got excited about it when I opened the hood. But that has nothing to do with the Mod motor. I think all fuel injected engines are ugly. But hey, I'm an old pushrod carb guy anyway and the fuel injection that I like tuning is a mechanically injected Enderle setup on top of a 1471 roots blower.

Don't get me wrong, I love my new Focus and it's modern fuel injection. For a daily driver, it's the way to go. for a race car, it's not my thing.

Hell, if the OP wants to put a 1951 ford Flathead in his car who cares. But when people question his decisions, don't take it personal. I have had plenty of people criticize my car and I could careless. It's my car and I built it my way. It's not for everybody and that's ok because I built it for me.

What's my point to all of this? I'm not really sure other that I have over 100K in my car including what I paid for it new. This year, my sponsors have invested roughly 20K. Having a dream and wanting to be different has it's price and the cost always exceeds the expectations. OP, be prepared to spend a lot more than you forecast to spend.

STL2SLO

Reaction score
Yes I understand that its going to be costly. When u add up the whole car everything is costly rehardless of engine. My point about the whole things was with what I am doing and the all out racing that I do. None classed large side bet grudge races. Run what u brung shit talk piss on or be pissed on type of racing. Even guys that build mild cars go threw engines. So when u factor in the cost of rebuilds. I dont see the mod motor being the most cost effective for me. I did have my mind made up on the motor I was going to be using. I knew it wouldn't have been the mod motor. I just cant justify the cost of everything for the short blocks. The initial cost up front will be higher but I believe ill be better setup for the long run. Peace im out moving to yellowbullet.

Back