2011 shifter from mgw close to completion...some specs and info>>

whitecoyote

Reaction score
Have had mine installed in my Boss for about a month and what an upgrade even fron the better Boss shifter....

I installed it myself after watching vids and everything went smoothly.

Not looking forward to removing the rubber boot again though....

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Hey George, are these "new design reverse pins" something that the early adopters can benefit from? I've got the new boot and heat shield coming, will this pin be coming too? Thanks

there is ZERO need for this pin and it cannot be upgraded in your shifter due to the design change. but you dont need it., it is only gonna even be a factor if someone has a factory freak or badly assembled shifter box from the factory. basically if the shifter is in your car runnning then its a moot point to even worry about .

george

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Have had mine installed in my Boss for about a month and what an upgrade even fron the better Boss shifter....

I installed it myself after watching vids and everything went smoothly.

Not looking forward to removing the rubber boot again though....

i am going to ship everyone a boot regardless but frankly i wouldnt change it . it doesnt bother me too much and that boot is a total bitch!!!

lol

george

pdmusgt

forum member
Reaction score
I was shocked to get phone call from MGW telling they're shipping upgrade boot. Yes I don't look forward to change it either

Reaction score
OK, i recived the heat shield yesterday and installed it today!!!, I can report 25 bucks well spent. As always with MGW its top notch with the details covered and hardware needed, total it took about an hour from start to finish on my back with a floor jack. the kit even includes the alan wrench for the studs that replace the orignal bolts, the manneglass material with the kit is a fiberglass/ceramic infused pad that you do want to be careful with, long sleeves and glasses are a must unless you dont mind the itching later . I was very used to the noise level in my car due to having over 3k on the shifter , and this little add on has reduced it , it is noticeable !!! so for anyone buying this shifter definitely grab this heatshield kit aswell. Thanks George

Wingspan

forum member
Reaction score
My shifter arrived Friday. Unfortunately I was out of town and so didn't get to see and install it until today. I don't have a lift, but ramps worked fine for me. The install took ~2 hours and was pretty smooth. I can't say enough about the overall quality of the shifter. I work in aerospace manufacturing and the MGW shifter is easily on par (or better) than the components we build and use on our turbine engines. Really first rate and well worth the $ from a build quality and material standpoint.

Watch the videos before installing. With those and the included written instructions the installation is pretty easy. Here are a few things to watch out for:

1. When assembling the two halves on the lower shifter body be careful not to pinch the small dust boot on the shift linkage between the halves.

2. You will need either a T-handle or socket type hex driver to install the 4 bolts holding the shifter to the lower body. A normal allen key won't give the leverage needed to overcome the safety on the bolts or the centering spring.

3. I didn't find the rubber boot install to be as bad as some here have suggested but I did have a bit of trouble with outer lip that fits in the tunnel hole until I went back under the car and loosened the rear shifter bracket. Then I could pull the shifter down a bit and make certain the outer lip of the boot was neatly arranged around the hole.

I haven't had a chance to drive in other than a quick trip around the block so I can't give an informed opinion on it yet.

yellowrubiu

Reaction score
For those who have done the install, I would be doing the installation on jack stands and was wondering how much room there is to work in that area and disconnect/reconnect everything, especially the shifter arm? I've replaced the shifter bracket and that was very straight forward but this seems a little more involved.

Also, does anyone have a exploded view diagram of how everything is connected. I've tried looking for it on that online manual available out there but keep getting a "missing plug-in" message and can't open the files.

Reaction score
I did mine from jack stands on the garage floor, there is enough space to get it done. Watch the video and its more than you need due to the project, its pretty simple. Get the heat shield!!! Fyi the rear of the shifter arm is all you disconnect you dont need to take the whole thing out!

Last edited:

Wingspan

forum member
Reaction score
For those who have done the install, I would be doing the installation on jack stands and was wondering how much room there is to work in that area and disconnect/reconnect everything, especially the shifter arm? I've replaced the shifter bracket and that was very straight forward but this seems a little more involved.

Also, does anyone have a exploded view diagram of how everything is connected. I've tried looking for it on that online manual available out there but keep getting a "missing plug-in" message and can't open the files.

As I said in my earlier post, I did mine with the car on ramps. While a lift is always handy, it's the drive shaft and transmission tunnel that dictate the amount of space you have while working on the shifter. Getting the car higher makes it easier to get yourself under the car, but won't really change anything else about the installation.

If you haven't already, watch the videos on MGW's site. There really isn't anything to "connect" per say. If you've replaced the shifter bracket then you've seen the area you'll be working in and how much space you've got to work with.

yellowrubiu

Reaction score
If you haven't already, watch the videos on MGW's site. There really isn't anything to "connect" per say. If you've replaced the shifter bracket then you've seen the area you'll be working in and how much space you've got to work with.

Yeah I watched the videos but they leave out the final details of what things look like under the car when everything is installed and I was trying to get a better idea of how everything is oriented under the car. I went back through some of the pictures I took when I installed the JHR bracket and see the shifter arm in there. This should be fairly straight forward... now I just have to hurry up and wait for mine to get here.

shifter.jpg

Reaction score
And thats the deal, when you actully get your parts in hand I think you will see how it all goes together ,its stright foward. And we are all here if you still have questions

gtmiller1001

forum member
Reaction score
Well I put mine in last night and can only echo everyone's opinions of quality, I was extremely impressed. Haven't gotten to drive it yet, probably this weekend as the car is on jack stands getting a turbo put in :)

I will say though, George - you need to include a tshirt in that kit that says something to the effect of "I survived the 2011 Mustang MGW dust boot install" lol

In all seriousness though, I really don't mind a little blood and frustration to stretch some rubber in order to install such a quality piece. Hats off man, hell of a job on this thing.

george.arnold

Reaction score
I think you got a winner. Market that in this thread alone and I think you'd make a killing!

Maybe on the back a pic of a hand with severed fingers, cuts and bruises all over.

I'm in the Tyler area too. Mine arrived last night. Headed out to a buddy's place with a lift to install it this evening. I might hit you up for a ride in your car once you get the turbo install finished up. I'm planning on going that route down the road when I can stop daily driving the Mustang.

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
I installed mine today. If you watch the SVTPerformance videos, you might notice that the person doing the demonstration has a bandaid. Now I know why: I was bleeding even before I had the stock shifter out of the car.

The instructions and video are very good, although if your hands are as big as mine (thumb and little finger have different zip codes) it's challenging just the same. Half the time I couldn't see what I was doing and had to work by feel. For the first hour or so, that was because of the position I had to be in so my hands would fit in the gaps. For the rest of the time, our power was out so I really was working in the dark.

So, after all that, it's in and it works. I'll test drive it again tomorrow when the storm is over and get a real read on how it works.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Does this shifter help with the grind going into 2nd gear while making a left turn? This is the only time my trans grinds, and I assume that it's something to do with the linkage for the shifter?

JGrein05

Regular
Reaction score
I did my install last sunday and took my time doing it.
I LOVE THIS SHIFTER compared to my old Steeda with a bracket.

MGW has hit a home run with this shifter!

BIGALS5.0

Reaction score
My shifter arrived Friday. Unfortunately I was out of town and so didn't get to see and install it until today. I don't have a lift, but ramps worked fine for me. The install took ~2 hours and was pretty smooth. I can't say enough about the overall quality of the shifter. I work in aerospace manufacturing and the MGW shifter is easily on par (or better) than the components we build and use on our turbine engines. Really first rate and well worth the $ from a build quality and material standpoint.

Watch the videos before installing. With those and the included written instructions the installation is pretty easy. Here are a few things to watch out for:

1. When assembling the two halves on the lower shifter body be careful not to pinch the small dust boot on the shift linkage between the halves.

2. You will need either a T-handle or socket type hex driver to install the 4 bolts holding the shifter to the lower body. A normal allen key won't give the leverage needed to overcome the safety on the bolts or the centering spring.

3. I didn't find the rubber boot install to be as bad as some here have suggested but I did have a bit of trouble with outer lip that fits in the tunnel hole until I went back under the car and loosened the rear shifter bracket. Then I could pull the shifter down a bit and make certain the outer lip of the boot was neatly arranged around the hole.

I haven't had a chance to drive in other than a quick trip around the block so I can't give an informed opinion on it yet.

I didnt have trouble installing the boot either. I did the same thing Wingspan did and loosened and lowered the shifter bracket so when you're putting the boot around the tunnel hole it just falls right into place. No problem no hassle.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back