2012 Boss 302R Intake Manifold - AmericanMuscle Pre-Order

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Im glad some guys here are taking the step on buying this early to test it out. The boss, i feel, is not making substantial power with this intake manifold (MAYBE 12 hp) and that the real numbers over the base 5.0 motor is the cams on the exhaust side. sure the intake helps if ou are squezing every drop out, but i hope everyones not diapointed with sub par results incase. trial and errot i guess. the only thin i see this intake helping with is because the RPM is raised on the BOSS and its needed for the 7500 limit vs our 7000 limit, as in we are not making an more power past that point and this intake will help slightly with that. We will see soon enough i guess...

Apparently the revised exhaust cam is only a very mild change. No lift increase, just a little more duration.
I expect the IM is the real power maker.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Apparently the revised exhaust cam is only a very mild change. No lift increase, just a little more duration.
I expect the IM is the real power maker.

BOSS 302R EXHAUST CAM SET p117 of the 2012 FRPP catalog

M-6550-M50BR
• Original exhaust cams on BOSS 302R Mustang engine
13 mm lift and 263 duration vs. 11 mm lift and 263 duration on the base production 5.0L engine
• Not compatible with base 5.0L head
• Compatible with M-6049/6050-M50BR Cylinder Heads

It has a bit more lift, but says it's not compatible with the base 5.0 heads.

Last edited:

RSKtakR

Reaction score

M-6550-M50BR
13 mm lift and 263 duration vs. 11 mm lift and 263 duration on the base production 5.0L engine

damn that sucks that the cams wont work in our 5.0 heads.. however i also think a good gain will come from just the intake manifold.. i cant wait to see some numbers from it and get my hands on one.:naughty1:

assasinator

1000hp turbo 4v
Reaction score
well we know one thing now. 263 degrees of duration @ .002" is not much at all. its about 213-216 degrees @ .050" lift, or about the same as mild aftermarket non-tune 302 roller cams. stock cams ARE VERY SMALL. not as small as early 195 degree @ .050" 4V.

so 230 degree duration cams @ .050" are gonna be MEAN!!!!

Last edited:

assasinator

1000hp turbo 4v
Reaction score

M-6550-M50BR

TRUE.......

according to JPC, some high lift cams will work, BUT machining is needed for .500" lift cams. 13mm=~.511"

so boss cams wont work, but a lot of others will when they hit the street. IMO .475" lift cams are enough for me. moderate duration increase and .475" intake and exhaust lifts are good.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
well we know one thing now. 263 degrees of duration @ .002" is not much at all. its about 213-216 degrees @ .050" lift, or about the same as mild aftermarket non-tune 302 roller cams. stock cams ARE VERY SMALL.

so 230 degree duration cams @ .050" are gonna be MEAN!!!!

so call me stupid.. but what does that mean? will there be cams (hopefully) that are about this size that wont require headwork? from comp or someone else?

assasinator

1000hp turbo 4v
Reaction score
yes, they will grind them from .475" to .490" lift IMO. compatible, but still most of the lift advantage.

the length of time stock cams are open is very mild and are not aggressive at all. these are small stock cams. all of the aftermarket will have mild to wild cams.

for a 4v 240-250 degree duration is pretty wild. the motors are small. we have tivct and there will be VCT limiters to protect the valves from hitting pistons. our cars and use big cams and still idle smooth and get good gas mileage.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
yes, they will grind them from .475" to .490" lift IMO. compatible, but still most of the lift advantage.

the length of time stock cams are open is very mild and are not aggressive at all. these are small stock cams. all of the aftermarket will have mild to wild cams.

for a 4v 240-250 degree duration is pretty wild. the motors are small. we have tivct and there will be VCT limiters to protect the valves from hitting pistons. our cars and use big cams and still idle smooth and get good gas mileage.

sign me up!!! im curoius to see what your car does after the intake and tb install.. you have about the same mods i plan on going w/.. but im also trying E85.. i allready have a pretty nasty E85 tune. just waiting for the weather to get better before i start pumping it through.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score

M-6550-M50BR

-the hell...

The internet is so full of misinformation. That sounds legit though.

But still, unless they modified the VVT system for allow for more advance of the exhaust cam I dont see the cam revision being the major contributor to power. I Think this Intake manifold is going to show good gains by itself.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
-the hell...

But still, unless they modified the VVT system for allow for more advance of the exhaust cam I dont see the cam revision being the major contributor to power. I Think this Intake manifold is going to show good gains by itself.

i hope so to..

assasinator

1000hp turbo 4v
Reaction score
-the hell...

the intake to exhaust balance needs work on these cars. its why they respond to exhaust mods so well. those cams help the inbalance. you want about 80 percent.

317cfm intake = 253cfm exhaust. stock exhaust flow is only 207cfm. emissions, stock torque played a role in the bad exhaust ports. exhaust header packaging had a role too. for some reason they were stuck with modular exhaust port location and couldnt move it higher for more flow.

Last edited:

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
I do appreciate you posting that competitors link in our threads across multiple forums...

We are $549.99, and Bama members get Free Tunes for Life anyway, so that's not going to do much for them. On top of that, if you PM me and use the S197Forums discount code, we're MUCH cheaper than the link you posted. You can use the discount code whether you have a tune or not.

Besides forum discount do you offer military discount? I know LMR don't. Which is stupid since they are 45 min from the largest military U.S. Military base.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back