2015 mustang hits the track

monk36

forum member
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that any rumors of big weight savings will only be seen if comparing the current gt to an i4 model.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that any rumors of big weight savings will only be seen if comparing the current gt to an i4 model.

From what I hear the I4, V-6 and 5.0 will not see much of a weight savings. That costs lots of money. They can't just start removing stuff from the car.

But I also hear that the SVT version(s) will have the 400+lb weight savings. You're going to pay for it though.

monk36

forum member
Reaction score
Fords 2 liter i4 is over 100 lbs lighter than the coyote motor. I would expect the transmission to be lighter as well. If the 2.3L is about the same and any weight savings on the platform are true, then the i4 model would see significant weight savings over the current v8. That's all I was saying.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Retextured version of the blue car:

asy2uhan.jpg

makes me think this...

ge-Nissan-GTR.jpg

monk36

forum member
Reaction score
Yes the GTR is also a 2 door aggressively styled car with 4 wheels. Some comparisons, to be sure, but far more differences.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes the GTR is also a 2 door aggressively styled car with 4 wheels. Some comparisons, to be sure, but far more differences.

Agreed. But the general shape is what caused my association. I prefer the C&D render.

Daniel Day

Resident psychopath
Reaction score
I disagree.

Really, why? He told me all about it before any of these renderings ever came out and what he described to me looks a lot like what I have seen lately. Like I said, he said it was pretty close, not 100% accurate.

Last edited:

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
Really, why? He told me all about it before any of these renderings ever came out and what he described to me looks a lot like what I have seen lately. Like I said, he said it was pretty close, not 100% accurate.

I trust the pedigree of the renderer.

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Okay so, I guess were getting IRS but its still not going to be coil-over?
I swear theyre not even trying. I bet its going to be nearly identical to the old IRS setup.

How many production cars come with coilover rear suspension? Honest question, go ahead and answer. The BMW M3 doesn't, the Camaro doesn't, the Challenger doesn't. I'm not sure the new Corvette does either but I do know the new Viper does (Comes with KW coilovers from the factory).

I share your "disdain" for the poor motion ratios of the spring but the tradeoff for spring motion ratio is shock motion ratio because in order to add the spring over the rear shock you are going to have to give up more wheel space and in order to do that the shock has to be mounted further inboard. If that sounds like a good idea to you then I don't think this conversation needs to continue. It's a HORRIBLE idea. I'd rather have near 1:1 shocks then .6:1 shocks since shocks keep the tire in contact with the ground.

Also, this IRS unit shares nothing in common with the God forsaken Cobra IRS that so many Mustang owners associate modern IRS's with. That IRS was a compromised shoe horn and it sucked ass in stock form and it was only marginally tolerable once modified. The geometry was completely fucked because it had to fit under a live axle floor pan, something the new IRS unit wont. Also, if rumors are true (and they look to be) this IRS unit shares a lot of features that the Integral Link IRS on the Fusion and on the new BMW M3's currently have which is a brilliant, simple and effective IRS design. The front suspension is a modern strut setup with virtual pivot point for improved scrub radius (for wider tires with low offsets) and the rear suspension is matching it. Ford is not going to ship this car globally with a POS IRS unit under it. Sorry, not going to happen.

08fordgt

forum member
Reaction score
How many production cars come with coilover rear suspension? Honest question, go ahead and answer. The BMW M3 doesn't, the Camaro doesn't, the Challenger doesn't. I'm not sure the new Corvette does either but I do know the new Viper does (Comes with KW coilovers from the factory).

I share your "disdain" for the poor motion ratios of the spring but the tradeoff for spring motion ratio is shock motion ratio because in order to add the spring over the rear shock you are going to have to give up more wheel space and in order to do that the shock has to be mounted further inboard. If that sounds like a good idea to you then I don't think this conversation needs to continue. It's a HORRIBLE idea. I'd rather have near 1:1 shocks then .6:1 shocks since shocks keep the tire in contact with the ground.

Also, this IRS unit shares nothing in common with the God forsaken Cobra IRS that so many Mustang owners associate modern IRS's with. That IRS was a compromised shoe horn and it sucked ass in stock form and it was only marginally tolerable once modified. The geometry was completely fucked because it had to fit under a live axle floor pan, something the new IRS unit wont. Also, if rumors are true (and they look to be) this IRS unit shares a lot of features that the Integral Link IRS on the Fusion and on the new BMW M3's currently have which is a brilliant, simple and effective IRS design. The front suspension is a modern strut setup with virtual pivot point for improved scrub radius (for wider tires with low offsets) and the rear suspension is matching it. Ford is not going to ship this car globally with a POS IRS unit under it. Sorry, not going to happen.

Yeah... Lol.

sent from a S4 Galaxy far far away

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score

+ 1000

attachment.php

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
No it won't.

Like I said :boobies:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just hope it's brutal strong. I suspect many lessons were learned from the Cobra IRS era.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back