3.73 or 4.10's That is the question

2011GT1979

12.3@110
Reaction score
I purchased my car with 3.31 gears. I now want to upgrade the gears. I really want 4.10's but here is my dilemma. Do you think 4.10's will be to much gear when I put forced induction on that car this spring? I do not want to have to shift into 5th gear going down the track. My power goals are fairly modest in my opinion at 550RWHP. I would like to think I would trap 123+ pretty easy with that kind of power.

Anyway I was just looking for some opinions.

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
I'd go with the 3.73 gears if that's the horsepower range you're looking to be in.

We are running 3.73's in our 2011 with the Procharger on it.

JJ@WMS

forum member
Reaction score
Our car came with 3:73's and we upgraded to 4:30's and are now switching to 4:56's. With the 6spd manual you should seriously consider 4:10's or 4:30's even if you go the supercharged route especially if your going to run at the track on a full slick or atleast a 28" tire. You want to get into 5th earlier then later with this car so it will pull you thru the traps at the right rpm.

JJ

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for an Auto 2011?I'm going to stay NA for the near future. O/R X, CAI, converter, and tune are my planned mods.

I know 4.10s are the "go to" for the shop autos, but for a car that's a DD 90% of the time, I'm thinking 3.55s or 3.73s. I may go with 26" tires for drag radials for the once a month strip blast.

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly, for a N/A auto. The 4.10 would be ideal. Mainly b/c of how the gearing is in the transmission. You will not be sorry and your fuel economy will be be negatively effected.

2011GT1979

12.3@110
Reaction score
N/A - 4.10s

Power Adder: Depends on which type.

Turbo Stay with a 3.31 or 3.55, Twin Screw/Centri - 3.73 or 4.10

Thanks a lot.. This is a great piece of information. I plan on going Procharger. I have had a Vortec, Whipple and procharger int he past. I liked the procharger the most so far.

I want to try turbo one of these days but I never see an affordable turbo kits. Well, at least affordable to me.

2011GT1979

12.3@110
Reaction score
SEARCH !!

I did do a search. I did not find the answer I was looking for hence the post. The 2011's have different gears in the transmissions compared to the mustangs built prior.

So I am only interested in opinions formed around the 2011 GT.

But in the end your post was a great contribution to the thread.

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
I did do a search. I did not find the answer I was looking for hence the post. The 2011's have different gears in the transmissions compared to the mustangs built prior.

So I am only interested in opinions formed around the 2011 GT.

But in the end your post was a great contribution to the thread.

Oh, would you also like to know what color stripes to get for you mustang?

The fact that the 2011's have a slightly different ratio, doesn't change the fact of which gears work best. the drive ratio is only a few off, and its because they are 6 speeds.

John said it best.

NA=steep gears.
turbo= low gears
centri=4.10's or nothing.

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
Guys that are running 4.10s with S/Cs are blowing thru the shifts. I know Beefcake was running 4.10s with a Vortech and had that issue. He swapped to 3.55s and the shifts are much smoother and trapping 1-2 mph better. Can't remember what heigth tire he runs, I am sure he will chime in.

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
To the OP I am getting an auto and will be running 4.10s, I plan on staying NA. If I were running a manual and go FI in the future I think 3.73s would be nice. You can tweak that final ratio around with tire size. I run 4.10s with a 28" tire with my Whippled 3v and that shift comes NOW! lol

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
Oh, would you also like to know what color stripes to get for you mustang?

The fact that the 2011's have a slightly different ratio, doesn't change the fact of which gears work best. the drive ratio is only a few off, and its because they are 6 speeds.

John said it best.

NA=steep gears.
turbo= low gears
centri=4.10's or nothing.

That's great, except one guy with a centri has already dropped some gear.

One of the shops with a positive displacement blower is still using high gears.

So maybe an opinion thread would be helpful.

SONIC

forum member
Reaction score
Search what? The countless other threads about 6 speed 5.0 4v Mustang GT's? This is a new topic and i have been wondering the same myself.
this is a dead topic :deadhorse: big deal its a 2011!!! slight difference as stated before :beerdrink:

Reaction score
this is a dead topic :deadhorse: big deal its a 2011!!! slight difference as stated before :beerdrink:

Hell half the damn topics on this message-board are dead in the first place. I would rather see 5 threads about gears, than 5 threads from random vendors trying to pawn shit off in the tech section like its wal-mart.

2011GT1979

12.3@110
Reaction score
I ordered 3.73's this afternoon. If a nice turbo kit comes out before spring I might jump on it. If not I think I am going to try Kenne Bell this time.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back