3v Budget Build

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
That's actually not bad for long block and tranny ... I am hoping to build an aluminum short block to handle 750 RWHP for 3-4K , use my heads and blower from current setup. Half the fun in building it I think otherwise I would buy Memphis' long block, but I want a forged crank... Seems hard to believe that motor is still available for 2300 bucks.

Buy his long block, tear it down, buy a forged crank, sell the cast one, rebuild.

Wouldn't be much more than $2300. Just the cost of difference of the cranks, head gaskets, maybe bearings? (I don't know details on the long block so I'm just guessing)

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting on my pistons to arrive so I could drop everything off with the engine builder.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
The pistons have arrived as did the oil pump. I plan on dropping off all my parts to the engine builder some time next week.

Last edited:

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome start man! I'm sure you've read my build thread a few times, I always wonder if I would help someone. If not check it out and if you need any help let me know!

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome start man! I'm sure you've read my build thread a few times, I always wonder if I would help someone. If not check it out and if you need any help let me know!

Thanks and I have read your thread a few times! I'm still collecting parts and just completed purchase on some 05 heads. I'll be dropping off the parts for the short block assembly at the shop hopefully by the end of the week.

I'll then be ordering the cams 127550's but I wonder if I should lock out the timing or just use the phaser limiters.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
I'm still collecting parts for my build. The block, pistons, crank, bearings, are all with the engine builder. I had the heads cleaned and resurfaced to ensure a good flat surface. My biggest problem at this point is deciding on cams. I'm not sure if I want to go with the 127550 cams or go with hot rod cams. Stock cams are an option but I want some sound. I need to decide soon....any other options.

127550's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX66fz0qNvo

hot rod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7l7YbGgjxQ

petersonb

forum member
Reaction score
I'm still collecting parts for my build. The block, pistons, crank, bearings, are all with the engine builder. I had the heads cleaned and resurfaced to ensure a good flat surface. My biggest problem at this point is deciding on cams. I'm not sure if I want to go with the 127550 cams or go with hot rod cams. Stock cams are an option but I want some sound. I need to decide soon....any other options.

127550's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX66fz0qNvo

hot rod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7l7YbGgjxQ
I have tried 127650s and then went to 127550. I am happy with the 550s, they're a little easier around town.

I think hot rods are typically considered more of a cosmetic cam than performance like the XFI series.

If you're building a motor and can replace valve springs, you should think about taking advantage of those valve springs. Hot rods are NSR which, to me at least, I interpret as "less perfornance" than Springs-required.

If you're just chasing sound, get whichever you like most on YouTube [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Grover

forum member
Reaction score
I love the sound of hot rods on my car, but i was happy to sacrifice some potential performance for the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
I have tried 127650s and then went to 127550. I am happy with the 550s, they're a little easier around town.

I think hot rods are typically considered more of a cosmetic cam than performance like the XFI series.

If you're building a motor and can replace valve springs, you should think about taking advantage of those valve springs. Hot rods are NSR which, to me at least, I interpret as "less perfornance" than Springs-required.

If you're just chasing sound, get whichever you like most on YouTube [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Do you have any vids? Seems that most of the video on Youtube of the 550's are with a catless exhaust.

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
look at camquest.com (comp's site) iirc 127450 are very close to 127500 spec w/ longer exhaust duration. you can use the 113 springs or livernois PAC springs w/these. I believe the lift on the 127550 cams require a spring that doesn't work well w/VCT. If your locking out your VCT it wont matter, I opted to keep the VCT.

travelers

Reaction score
Hot rods sound good at idle but how offend do you have it at idle? For me I prefer the performance side.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the 127550's but I'm a little worried CA smog. I don't think I'll have an issue getting the car tuned though. Maybe I could put stock exhaust back on when for smog check .

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the 127550's but I'm a little worried CA smog. I don't think I'll have an issue getting the car tuned though. Maybe I could put stock exhaust back on when for smog check .

You can probably pass smog with 550 cams if you run E85.

Back