3v Budget Build

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
You can probably pass smog with 550 cams if you run E85.

There is no sniff test in CA, they only connect to the OBDII port and check the readiness codes. I wonder if the smog tech will pick on the cams and fail me which is my primary concern. I don't really think most Smog techs are gear heads.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
I'm tired of researching cams and have decided to use stock cams. I don't want to have to worry about CA smog issues. Anyway, its been interesting so far chasing down nuts and bolts along with other odds and ends. I spent some time trying to figure out what bolts I needed the following diagram was helpful.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
I now have a short block! However, I need some help on the correct torque spec for the boss connecting rods. What is the correct procedure?

I also picked up the timing cover from the shop..

On another note I thought I made up my mind on cams but I've changed my mind again. Yeap, I'm back where I started, I don't know what I should do. My main concern is CA smog, just them hearing the cam is what scares me the most. I figured I could just mount the stock axle back and then hit the smog shop but will this help. I very much doubt they are going to open up the motor and check.

My other concerns with the cams is general issues drive-ability and tuning. I'd like to hear some real user experience from the 127550 or the 127450 cams. I reviewed many threads but just cant make up my mind. There are also very few video of the 127450 cams.

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Nobody will notice the 127350's, based on the 1000's of videos I've watched. How many rungs above convenience store staff are smog station operators, ie: does anyone really care at all? I doubt it.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
Some of the parts I ordered for my build have started to come in but I can't move forward until I get the lashers and followers. I also did not receive the retainers but they should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully the parts arrive this week because I'm off next week and could resume with the project.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
More parts arrived today including a bunch of misc. nuts and bolts. In regards to the retainers I thought the correct part number was 700-24 instead they shipped 710-24. This info comes from Brenspeed. According to Comp the correct part number is 710-24. I'll have to give them a call tomorrow to make sure I'm squared away and got the correct parts.

http://www.compcams.com/catalog/COMP2011/pdf/COMP_Catalog_2011_353-355.pdf

Either way I can't move forward until I get the rest of the vavle train.

Last edited:

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
I ordered the valve train a couple of weeks ago and was told they would ship them out right away. Then I was told the'd ship on the 1/4 now 1/13. I guess I could use a used set with one 30k on them but is it worth the risk? Visually they look ok but I guess new parts could fail too.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I ordered the valve train a couple of weeks ago and was told they would ship them out right away. Then I was told the'd ship on the 1/4 now 1/13. I guess I could use a used set with one 30k on them but is it worth the risk? Visually they look ok but I guess new parts could fail too.

What parts are you waiting for, the lash adjusters and rockers?

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
Well most of the parts have finally arrived and the engine assembly is about begin. Tomorrow I'll start with the new valve springs and get the head mounted to the block. I'm wonder if I have to worry about the valve spring height or are these vavle springs pretty much drop in. From the looks of it it does appear to be that way. I just want to make sure height is correct so I could get the correct seat load.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I have a seat height measuring tool from comp - reasonably sure it won't work, just as none of my other specialty tools are suitable for the 4.6.

I've never heard of anyone shimming springs on these engines, or many others. Corvette owners changing their springs before they broke back in the early z06's, for instance.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
One thing IDK if it's mentioned in that thread is only take your readings while turning the crank clockwise, in other words if you pass .050 on one of the passes don't back up and turn it counter clockwise back to .050 you need to continue to go clockwise until you get to .050 again, re-check the dial indicator and reset if needed and keep turning. This prevents false readings from slack in the chains.

Last edited:

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
^^thank you sir I will keep this in mind.

The rest of the vavle train finally arrived.

Last edited:
Back