3v Budget Build

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
Is sounds like it's hitting on 4 cylinders and the other 4 it's not. I'm checking compression now.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not particularly happy right now the engine builder said when the motor was picked up that it was timed correctly. It's apparent now that it is not. Only the passenger side is firing, compression is good, spark and fuel are good on the driver side. The only thing it could be is timing. The builder said he guaranteed the timing was perfect I am completely frustrated.

wildbillcody

forum member
Reaction score
If your timing was out on one side I would think that you would be getting different compression from the driver vs the passenger side....So you are for sure getting spark on the driver side?

wildbillcody

forum member
Reaction score
Also something I have seen allot is the 02 sensor wires can be crossed and it will run like shit until it goes into closed loop fault

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
If your timing was out on one side I would think that you would be getting different compression from the driver vs the passenger side....So you are for sure getting spark on the driver side?

200 on the passenger side 180 on the driver side. Checked the spark it's good.

stupid question, but have you reloaded the tune after fixing the ground? Is it throwing any codes?

I was really excited when I found the broken ground, fixed it still nothing. Reloaded the tune and it will start if you give it gas runs like shit but still no codes.

Also something I have seen allot is the 02 sensor wires can be crossed and it will run like shit until it goes into closed loop fault

I'll check but don't think that's an issue.

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Could this be a timing issue? It's only running on 4 cylinders, it's got spark and fuel on the driver side but it's not firing. I'm getting ready to do a compression test.

The power to the COPs comes from the same source, have you done any work to the factory harness?

The variances in you compression test could be from one bank being wet with fuel. Is there spark from the COPs on both banks?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
If you think the cam timing is off there is only one thing to do, pull the front cover and check it out.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
The power to the COPs comes from the same source, have you done any work to the factory harness?

The variances in you compression test could be from one bank being wet with fuel. Is there spark from the COPs on both banks?

It did take a little bit to build to the 180, not the case on the passenger side. No work on the factory harness at all. And yes there is spark in both banks but the driver side is not firing.

If you think the cam timing is off there is only one thing to do, pull the front cover and check it out.

We've checked everything else that's the only thing it could be.

Last edited:

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
What else could cause the driver side, bank 2, to not fire. If it's firing on the wrong stroke then it's a timing issue correct.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
The firing is going off the crank sensor not the cam sensor so it should spark regardless of cam shouldnt it?

hammeron

forum member
Reaction score
The firing is going off the crank sensor not the cam sensor so it should spark regardless of cam shouldnt it?

and i believe the PCM uses the signal from the cam position sensor, to know when to activate the fuel injectors.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score

Yes but if it's firing on the compression stroke then nothing correct.

and i believe the PCM uses the signal from the cam position sensor, to know when to activate the fuel injectors.

Correct, then it's a timing issue or something else. I've ruled out spark, fuel and it's making compression...

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, you can run an engine with no cam sensors at all.

Cam sensors are used to determine where the cam is at for startup but timing is determined via crank sensor only.

Sorry for the question but how you know is running only on those cylinders?

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
It is possible to degree the cams in "perfectly" while one is 180 degrees out, which would essentially result in the motor being a 4 cylinder, or at least only running on 4 cylinders. You can check this by pulling both valve covers, get #1 at TDC on the compression stroke then look at the valves on #6, they should be on overlap, opposite. You will need to pull the valve covers anyway to remove the front cover, might as well check this first.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, you can run an engine with no cam sensors at all.

Cam sensors are used to determine where the cam is at for startup but timing is determined via crank sensor only.

Sorry for the question but how you know is running only on those cylinders?

When it started the passengers side was hot and the driver side was completely cold.

It is possible to degree the cams in "perfectly" while one is 180 degrees out, which would essentially result in the motor being a 4 cylinder, or at least only running on 4 cylinders. You can check this by pulling both valve covers, get #1 at TDC on the compression stroke then look at the valves on #6, they should be on overlap, opposite. You will need to pull the valve covers anyway to remove the front cover, might as well check this first.

I'll pull the vavle covers and check this but I can't touch the car until next Wednesday.

travelers

Reaction score
As everyone knows you need fuel, spark, timing and O2 to make an engine run. Now you already know you have fuel and spark so the only thing left is the timing of the O2. I would definitely say timing. Do the 3Vs have a color coded link on the timing chains like the coyotes do?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back