4R70W install-S197...Here is a Write Up for you!

GI Joe

Reaction score
I just sent my converter back to have the stall raised and after 50 passes and 30 dyno pulls and 5000 miles on the street he said the converter clutches, pump and lockup clutch show NO wear. Im leaning hard over 700 hp on it to the wheels. Very happy. Its the only con verter i have seen to hold lock up at 750 rwhp. The pi is a superb converter but would come in and out of L/u over 675 hp...above 18 psi. The kevlar clutches love to get hot. They just bite harder

ulev1st

Mustang Addict!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Got a part number for the flexplate you used? Already contacted Darrin and Chris...it's in the works!

GI Joe

Reaction score
there is no part number . You have to contact FB performance..

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
One other thing I chose to do before raising the transmission is to add a breather hose. The 4R70W has a built in breather but I removed the cap from it and added a line and an elbow and ran the line up to my JDM breather box. I had this on the previous setup and wanted to retain it to give lots of room for expansion. The line must be attached before raising the transmission.
tran.jpg

Dave got a question for ya are these prone to burping oil out like the 5r's ? I will be doing a aode install in my cobra here soon and already have the jdm can . Basically did you do this because you already had it or because it is something needed ?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I went with the Hurst Quarter Stick. Love it.

antonio1988

Redline: 8600rpm
Reaction score
update..
nice smooth shifts at part throttle
shifts very firm when you get on it.....

anyone looking for a good deal on a tranny should look into Darrins stuff at BC automotive....
http://bc-automotive.com/

Dont know how the economy could affect his pricing, but I dont see how you can beat a built tranny with P/A race valve body, and an aluminum pan for under $2500 and with shipping @$2800.
Add a P/I multi disk converter, drive shaft, shifter and all the small stuff and have about $4800 in it.

So for easy driving works great. After tuning I'll report more when I lean on it.

Yes Darrin is awesome, my buddy just got his built 4r from him for his mach. He's a very nice, no bullshit kind of guy

09Stroker

forum member
Reaction score
update..
nice smooth shifts at part throttle
shifts very firm when you get on it.....

anyone looking for a good deal on a tranny should look into Darrins stuff at BC automotive....
http://bc-automotive.com/

Dont know how the economy could affect his pricing, but I dont see how you can beat a built tranny with P/A race valve body, and an aluminum pan for under $2500 and with shipping @$2800.
Add a P/I multi disk converter, drive shaft, shifter and all the small stuff and have about $4800 in it.

So for easy driving works great. After tuning I'll report more when I lean on it.

I just got my 4r70w from Darrin as well with a Circle D converter. It only took 3 weeks from date of order to ship. It looks to be a very nice piece.

Last edited:

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
4R70W

Dave got a question for ya are these prone to burping oil out like the 5r's ? I will be doing a aode install in my cobra here soon and already have the jdm can . Basically did you do this because you already had it or because it is something needed ?

I have the stock vent cap on the tranny near the tail housing,it has never burped or farted oil at all out the vent & i drag race it alot.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the stock vent cap on the tranny near the tail housing,it has never burped or farted oil at all out the vent & i drag race it alot.

+1

I have built several of these and have never done anything different. I actually pulled one to swap a converter after 50K hard miles and it had some light grime in a 2" area around the stock vent but was clean elsewhere. No issues.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

+1

I have built several of these and have never done anything different. I actually pulled one to swap a converter after 50K hard miles and it had some light grime in a 2" area around the stock vent but was clean elsewhere. No issues.

Sweet thanks fellas I had never heard of them doing it but haven't really talked to any major places like BC of FB etc. about it ....

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If I had a can already, I would probably put a fitting with a 1/8" NPT and 1/4" barb in the vent's place, run some hose and use the can... It looks cool, it just really isn't necessary because the vent is tapped into the rear of the trans and the hole is actually in the tail shaft housing cavity, it would be hard for fluid to get out.

Last edited:

GI Joe

Reaction score
I happen to see this in updated threads so for some reason I am not getting updates to my own thread lol...I put a hose on the top vent tube with a clamp and ran it to the jdm can. Generally dont need a can BUT if you ever put a diaper on it then it can get real hot fast and on my 02 car pukes out so I put the can. The other thing is if you do not have a deep pan on a 55R5 you can use this pan to fill the tranny. Pull the lower plug and fill away. When it runs out its full. Works good for a stock pan which is when I originally put it on.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back