4R70W install-S197...Here is a Write Up for you!

crownaviation

http://www.tudyno.com/
Reaction score
k.. this is weird. I took that pin which is pin 5 on dtr (mlps) that normally goes to pin 17 on the pcm connector. I swapped it to pin 21 on the pcm connector. damn reverse lights are on as you said they will be but now pcm does not see it or somehow interrupts the torque limiting to the engine controls.

Freggin works! Been killin my tires now for last hour or so lol. Trans runs a cool 160-180 and only thing I did not really test was the converter. seems to have power but no real change. I only hit it at low power/rpm tho so dunno will play with it some more

happy now! I had to remove the reverse bulbs till I have time to pull the sjb and run those wires from my reverse switch. Simple

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
k.. this is weird. I took that pin which is pin 5 on dtr (mlps) that normally goes to pin 17 on the pcm connector. I swapped it to pin 21 on the pcm connector. damn reverse lights are on as you said they will be but now pcm does not see it or somehow interrupts the torque limiting to the engine controls.

Freggin works! Been killin my tires now for last hour or so lol. Trans runs a cool 160-180 and only thing I did not really test was the converter. seems to have power but no real change. I only hit it at low power/rpm tho so dunno will play with it some more

happy now! I had to remove the reverse bulbs till I have time to pull the sjb and run those wires from my reverse switch. Simple

Cool! Do to you still need the wires for the rev lights at the sjb or do you have it covered?

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

It's early and if I'm reading this right you just swapped pin 17 over to pin 21 spot and it works? If you have any more insight or information, can you send me a pm so we don't clog up this thread.

crownaviation

Reaction score
It's early and if I'm reading this right you just swapped pin 17 over to pin 21 spot and it works? If you have any more insight or information, can you send me a pm so we don't clog up this thread.

Well, it is good to clarify in this thread.

Answer is YES that is what I did, and yes it is now driving correctly. The reverse lights were still on at all times but it does drive now!

NOTE: On my AUTO tune with my AUTO PCM the thing worked correctly as far as the reverse lights. Only problem we wanted to use a MANUAL tune with my AUTO pcm. This is when the reverse lights would stay on at all times. More of a problem the computer would see me in reverse and limit throttle and torque.

Disclaimer.. not sure if this could damage something in the pcm and disconnect the battery first!
So.. on my 2007 Auto PCM I swapped out the said pins and the car does drive now but the reverse lights were still on. I think the signal to the engine controls was taken out of the loop. If my theory is correct I would bet you could just remove pin 17 and leave it out! Theory that is..

Also, not sure what the differences are between the 05-06 auto pcm and the 07+auto pcm. They "could" be different.

In your case Tungsten, I would try removing the wire first and testing it out. I would hate for there to be a difference in the two pcm's and you possibly fry a pcm. Granted, it is just a signal wire but still...

Now, if this works for you you will still need to go behind the SJB and take those signal wires to the reverse lamps and find a way to make them work. I already have a reverse switch wired in my Hurst shifter.. I did that so I would not have to "hold" the stupid TB button to back up.. you could easily do that too!

Basically this is what I did.. just swapped the pins in this diagram.
IMG-20130924-WA0012_zpsbbe01116.jpg

Top plug of the PCM is easier to access than the mlps as little room is in the trans tunnel and the harness is short.
20130925_111049_zps35b1f6cc.jpg

The end of the connector is labeled for those pins. The pins in the middle are not labeled as there is not enough room. Just count down from one of the labeled pins to find Pin 17 which will be the LB/BK wire

Here is pin 17 (I would test it first without placing it in pin 21 just to try it)
IMG-20130924-WA0014_zpsda54a9cb.jpg

If that does not work, then you "could" try to place it in pin 21 as I did but at your own risk. Note: my PCM had the actual pin in the PCM but the connector has a plastic block in the way of the pin hole. First remove the red pin lock/guide inside the connector. Next you simply take an awl and poke it out (designed to push thru). Poke it thru the way the wire will go into the new pin location and make sure you remove the plastic piece from the connector. Now you can relocate that wire to pin 21.. again at your own risk. Lol.. my tuner made the joke of "well it could work or catch on fire". At that moment in time I would have been satisfied with either outcome
IMG-20130924-WA0016_zpsf734f0be.jpg

This pic still has the red pin lock out. Install it before connecting to the pcm, then connect the battery and hopefully your issues are solved.
IMG-20130924-WA0018_zps80649aee.jpg

Last edited:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Ah, yes the 2007 PCM pinouts are different from 05/06. Since the trans signals are all on the one pcm connector (the smaller of the two engine harness connectors), you could go by wire color and get the proper wire, even if in a different location. The pinouts on the trans connectors at the trans should be the same across the range of year (05-09).
Pulling out a wire opens lets the signal float high, as seen by the pcm :)

crownaviation

Reaction score
Ah, yes the 2007 PCM pinouts are different from 05/06. Since the trans signals are all on the one pcm connector (the smaller of the two engine harness connectors), you could go by wire color and get the proper wire, even if in a different location. The pinouts on the trans connectors at the trans should be the same across the range of year (05-09).
Pulling out a wire opens lets the signal float high, as seen by the pcm :)

Thought there may be a difference but yes the wire color and the dtr pin should be the same. Now, what do you think about just pulling that wire instead of relocating it? Our hope was the reverse lights would work correctly on the manual pcm tune by placing it in pin 21.. Did not resolve the light issue but did prevent the car from limiting torque. My bet is if it were unplugged it will be same result, rather than placing it in pin 21

On another note... What is pin 41 doing? Could that be removed to get the lights out with the way I currently have it wired?

I am not as keen on the fire scenario as I was yesterday lol

Last edited:

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
pin 41 is signal ground, and I would not remove it!

moving pin 17 to 21 probably engages backup lights on when in park, reverse, and low-gear (1st on the 4r). They should turn off in drive, but you may need to pull the other 3 signal pins to get that to occur (from the mlps or pcm connector), leave them unconnected.

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was thinking I could just unpin the wires on the plug that goes to the MLPS except for the two neutral safety switch wires. Would this also work? I would just then wire up the reverse lights to a switch or my trans brake button.

crownaviation

Reaction score
I was thinking I could just unpin the wires on the plug that goes to the MLPS except for the two neutral safety switch wires. Would this also work? I would just then wire up the reverse lights to a switch or my trans brake button.

Think it should. I only pulled it from the connector at the pcm as I had no room to access the mlps with the tranny installed

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I'm using the mlps reverse-only wire for wiring in the reverse light signal, but that's with a manual pcm, using the top part of the wiring diagram shown in post #165.

crownaviation

Reaction score
Just installed a new (another new) tcc solenoid. Converter locking as it should now! I discovered a earlier tcc made it into the trans when it was built. It was a 1-2 ohm iirc made for the 95 and earlier models. I installed a 96 up that is 10-15 ohm and all is good.

So far I love the trans!

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've got a question for you guys. When your driving the car under normal conditions do you lock the converter first and then select overdrive or do you select overdrive first and then lock the converter? I was able to drive the car a little bit last night and did it both ways. I'm just wondering which way is correct.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't want to shift the trans intentionally with the converter locked so I would recommend locking it after shifting. I would have to guess that it would cause more stress and wear shifting it while locked up.

crownaviation

Reaction score
I wouldn't want to shift the trans intentionally with the converter locked so I would recommend locking it after shifting. I would have to guess that it would cause more stress and wear shifting it while locked up.

Not saying I know the correct answer to that but that is how I do it. I wait till od then lock.. Unless I am not planning on using od then I will lock the converter in third. Pretty violent shifting while locked and don't think u are supposed to

Just never wot with od

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure which way to go about it. I figured for normal driving it would be after overdrive is engaged. I could not go open throttle at all because I had no intercooler pump hooked up. It was more of a test drive to make sure everything was working.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
When I used to tune my 5r55s with lock up I would always shift the gear and then lock up. That is the way the factory tune does it. It needs to be unlocked while shifting or it is very hard on the trans.

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
My switch is set up so OD locks the converter also. Only use OD at part throttle and haven't had any problems with it.

As others have said, shifting with the converter locked under power is not good. I toasted the direct clutches in mine doing it a couple years ago doing that.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Mine's set up the same way, where lockup occurs only in 4th (OD).
I use a switch to manually disable OD and hence prevent lockup.

Fake_Snake

FAUX GT500
Reaction score
I hit OD it drops to about 2000 rpms then lock up drops a tad further I think 1800 at cruise speeds @ 60-65mph

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back