5.0 died and will not start

09 Ricky

forum member
Reaction score
The break-in oil 'til 10k doesn't make much sense as these are pretty well broke-in by 500 miles. But as long as Ford paid it, I guess it doesn't matter in this case.

My buddys '11 he melted down at 5k (big Procharger) had the original oil in it when we tore it apart and it still looked pretty fresh. I'm a bit jealous, the oil in my 3v turns black after 1000 miles. I'm still trying to figure that out.

10000 miles on a oil change is a hard one to swallow for me........I can't wait that long. For me it would be a oil change every two years lol

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
The break-in oil 'til 10k doesn't make much sense as these are pretty well broke-in by 500 miles. But as long as Ford paid it, I guess it doesn't matter in this case.

My buddys '11 he melted down at 5k (big Procharger) had the original oil in it when we tore it apart and it still looked pretty fresh. I'm a bit jealous, the oil in my 3v turns black after 1000 miles. I'm still trying to figure that out.

Maybe you should try a different oil. I run Mobil 1 full synthetic, change 5k intervals and it still looks almost fresh coming out. Use the same in the gf's Fusion 4 banger and change at 7.5k intervals (as ford recommends) and it too is very fresh looking at the change. And 4 cyl. are usually hard on oil from my experience.

BTW just wondering how many of yall break in your racing engines for 500 miles before going to the track. We've installed them many times on Friday night, run il for a cam break in and go run 50 to 100 laps on Saturday night with no problems so I think a 10k break in period is rediculous.

forum member
Reaction score
Like everyone else THANKS for the update. Maybe I missed this part, but was the car taken in with all the mods, ie: headers,cats?,CAI suspension and at one time a tune which according to the TSB they could tell. So if that's the case then as long as you don't have a #8 piston problem we are OK? TSB says No headers,CAI etc which will increase HP and Torque.
Is this correct?

FWP!

Reaction score
Interesting. I got my car July '10, I wasn't told to wait any of those time frames, and I changed mine at 5k the first time, and it was changed to semi synthetic, then the next change to full synthetic...each subsequent change 3k mi intervals with full synthetic. I must have got very lucky because I don't have/or hear a tick with mine. Also, I remember reading the complete manual front to back while washing laundry when I first got it, and I remember seeing something that said there was NO break-in period, the car already came broken in. But it was mentioned to drive at variable speeds, or not to stay at one consistant speed too long for the first 500. Hmm.

At any rate, thanks for the update dude.
Same here. Got mine at the same time, dealership gave me the first oil change free which they told me when I bought it was going to be at 5k miles, they put a sticker on my windshield. Before the 5k mile mark, I had to add 3 quarts of oil. I'm now at 8900 miles and I've had to add a quart. I'm hoping the oil consumption stops.. but the entire drive train has been trouble free, I've been really happy about that.

Digital_Synapse

forum member
Reaction score
Same here. Got mine at the same time, dealership gave me the first oil change free which they told me when I bought it was going to be at 5k miles, they put a sticker on my windshield. Before the 5k mile mark, I had to add 3 quarts of oil. I'm now at 8900 miles and I've had to add a quart. I'm hoping the oil consumption stops.. but the entire drive train has been trouble free, I've been really happy about that.

I need to check mine for oil consumption. :omfg:

ZLLJ

Reaction score
I'd still like clarification on how no one noticed 4 quarts of oil being burned in 100 miles. The effective octane rating of the gas would be ridiculously low and smoking like a mosquito truck from everything I've seen.

I'd also wonder about the state of the cats after that.

Last edited:

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
If you read the Magnuson Moss Warranty act then you will understand why this cars warranty was honored. Tunes nor headers cause bearings to fail , luckily this wasn't a failure caused by the mods. I am glad to hear that her car was fixed under warranty. I hope that Ford can get some of the other issues figured out with this car ASAP. Also its not uncommon for high rpm engines with stock PCV systems to burn a fair amount of oil with a fair amount of time spent at high rpms. The harder you drive your car the more frequently you should check your oil.

WTFchuck

forum member
Reaction score
enough with the magnus moss act bullshit already... it does not cover non OEM aftermarket stuff you retard. if it were oem compliant then yes they would cover it. u mag moss leg humpers need to just delete ur accounts on every mustang forum

My08Stang

One Bad Poster
Reaction score
My 2010 Flex Ecoboost is at the Ford dealership for the exact issue, and they are covering the motor under warranty... We assumed the Tech did not put enough oil in when they did the oil change on 6/22/11.. We drained out only 2 qts of oil... all in the same day the engine light flashed a couple of times, then went steady then failure on the Parkway... Ford does not have an answer on what happen...

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
enough with the magnus moss act bullshit already... it does not cover non OEM aftermarket stuff you retard. if it were oem compliant then yes they would cover it. u mag moss leg humpers need to just delete ur accounts on every mustang forum

This car had aftermarket stuff on it, did you fail reading?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back