5R55S Help

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
I’m hoping someone can give me some tuning information on the 5R55S Transmission. I have recently done some mods and put the car on the dyno with some interesting results. I’m having some problems with possible converter slip or problems with program settings for the Trans.
After reading many threads on the forums regarding the 5R55S it seems to be a little more complicated being it’s a computer controlled trans. The trans is stock right now with a TCI 3000 Stall Converter and a Level 10 Input shaft, I plan on upgrading to the Super Street Fighter later this year, but I’ve had no problems with this until the TCI converter was installed. I’ve already looked into the 4R70W swap but will pass on that for now.
My tuner says this is a slipping converter and is way too loose, so I’m looking at a possible swap to a Circle D Converter. In the mean time I would like to get as much info about what others have done for tuning and how to tune the trans properly in SCT software that is used at the dyno.
What parameters in the SCT Software must be adjusted? I’ve seen people talk about Converter Lock Points, Pump pressure, Mapping, Values etc. that need to be adjusted after installing a different converter or engine mods. I’m looking for specific information regarding this and using the SCT Software so I have a better understanding and knowledge about this trans when working with my tuner.
I have below the list of mods and the results from the dyno, my car is in blue with a comparison car showing proper lockup in red. I should have better numbers from the dyno hopefully will after this problem is fixed.

Any help would be appreciated.
2006 Mustang GT Coup
Engine: FRPP 4.6 3V 9.8:1 Built Aluminator Short Block
FRPP Ported Heads
FRPP M-9424-463V Intake Manifold
FRPP 60# Injectors
BBK 62mm throttle body
Innovators West 10% Crank Overdrive
Mafia Diablo Sport mass air flow controller

Power Adders: Vortech V3 HO supercharger
Air to Air SC Cooling
2.95 Pulley with 8 Rib Upgrade
Snow Kit Stage 3 Water/ Meth

Drivetrain: 5R55S Transmission
TCI 3000 Stall
Shaftmaster 1 Piece Aluminum Driveshaft
Level 10 Input Shaft
Streetfighter Rachet Shifter
Steeda Double Safety Loops
FRPP 4.10 Gear

Exhaust: FRPP Ceramic Coated Headers
Bassani X Pipe with high flow cats and a pair of delete tubes
Flowmaster Mufflers

Suspenson: FRPP Rear Coils
BMR Lower Control Arms, Relocation Brackets and Panhard
BMR Subframe Connectors

Other: GT 500 Dual Fuel Pumps
SLP Line Lock
SCT Tuner, with custom dyno tune

DynoSheet.jpg

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Tuning is the big part of it. But if the converter is slipping, that'll cause you issues for sure.
Where are you located? I'll have a good PI tripple disc 3k stall available soon.

1lowtoy

forum member
Reaction score
Does it show in your datalog that the computer commanded TC lockup? Do you have a datalog to go with this run you could post or email?

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, I'll see if I can get that datalog file, this is a very interesting trans and looking to learn as much as possible about this since I've been through the rest of the car inside and out.

ebrow21

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, I'll see if I can get that datalog file, this is a very interesting trans and looking to learn as much as possible about this since I've been through the rest of the car inside and out.

Aftermarket larger single disc vs aftermarket triple disc and a lockup tune picked up over 50hp/50ft.lbs on the dyno with the same mods/tune/fuel on my vehicle. Same dyno tune, the triple disc was just much better at actually going into full lockup.

On a lockup tune with the triple disc vs a non lockup single disc tune I've picked up 6mph in the 1/4, so far. I will be waiting awhile to run in a comparable DA, but I would imagine that number will improve.

As far as the tune is concerned, I don't know what values were changed. However, I found multiple tuners on this forum unwilling (or unable) to provide the lockup points I asked for. I ended up using a local dyno tuner.

As far as datalogs go, there is a command lockup value you can monitor and compare to converter slip %

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back