5r55s to TR3650 swap

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
December 12th, 2013 my 5spd automatic transmission let go.. I was merging into traffic across a few lanes punched it and when it downshifted it took off, shortly after at around 3500rpms I hear a loud BOOM, the car jerked and pegged the rev limiter. There was no power to the rear wheels in either drive, 3rd, 2nd, or 1st. Even tried reverse when I came to a stop and nothing. Let it sit for a little over a week and finally towed it to Ford. The input shaft snapped and took out the whole transmission. Called AAA and towed it back to my garage to let it sit as I aqcuired parts to do the swap. Ford wanted $4,000 to put in a remanufactured 5r55s lol.. Not happening

Parts list
  • TR3650/bell housing/mount(same mount as the automatic)
  • FRPP Engine spacer plate (M-7007-A)
  • FRPP Manual bell housing bolts (M-7771-A)
  • FlywheelOEM Ford Flywheel
  • FRPP flywheel bolts (M-6379-B)
  • Clutch Disc/Pressure Plate/Pilot Bearing/Slave Cylinder (Went with Exedy)
  • (2) Metric 6 1.0 x 20.5mm bolts are required to hold the slave cylinder in the transmission
  • Clutch Master Cylinder (9R3Z-7A543-A)
  • Clutch Hydraulic line (BR3Z-7A512-A)
  • FRPP pressure plate bolts (M-6397-A46)
  • Manual clutch/break pedal box
  • Brake lights (3M5Z*13480*AB)
  • Cruise deactivation (3M5Z*9F924*AC)
  • Cruise deactivation (XW4Z*11A152*AB)
  • Neutral safety/pedal position (F5RZ*11A152*A)
  • Shifter (I went with Hurst)
  • FoMoCo Shift arm/shift linkage (Can't buy from Ford, comes with stock shifter)
  • Rubber dust boot (Can't buy from Ford, comes with stock shifter)
  • Leather shifter boot with plastic trim(OEM Bullitt Shift knob/boot/bezel)

Started piecing it together last night. Thanks to my friends/local stangers and members of this board (Skwerl and VectorPat) I have these pieces so far.

This will be a slow build thread as I am in my last semester of my Radiography program at school. Definitely excited though! I will be posting up pictures each step of the way.

Last edited:

VectorPat

forum member
Reaction score
Have fun with it Rob and take your time, when youre done you will have a new love for your car, I know I did. Before you tear into it I would contact Justin to give him time to get your tune.

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
Subscribed. :beerdrink:
:highfive:

Have fun with it Rob and take your time, when youre done you will have a new love for your car, I know I did. Before you tear into it I would contact Justin to give him time to get your tune.

Definitely going to be a blast, my father is now on board with the swap (originally wanted nothing to do with it because he said it was a stupid idea) and he took me today to grab the tranny and stuff with his F150. We got home and we were writing up a parts list and prices (all brand new stuff) and he said "You know what, this is going to be so badass. I can't wait to get into this thing." He even said he'd buy a transmission jack so we can do the job ourselves and not have to take it anywhere. He said it'll be a great experience if we take it slow and all that. He stood there and said he is really excited and that I had a good idea. It made me laugh out loud when I heard him eat his own words and he told me how he is glad I didn't listen to his advice. :highfive:

Paps

forum member
Reaction score
sorry about your trans, mine broke 2 days before yours!! Bad luck for us!
I was still able to drive mine, but it made a weird loud sound, like bad bearing.
Did you inspect your transmission to check which part is broken?
Here is a pic of my O/D planetary gears and rings....too bad! Also my input shaft is twisted.
9ba20f79735348d8cf967d10a226239f_zps3b1ddd58.jpg

7602159768af0c2d90758841b6b904d3_zpsa2313304.jpg

Sad thing is my trans broke before my trip to US so i didn't had time to pull everything out to check dammaged parts, so i bought a tci torque converter, hardened input shaft and a new oil pump with rebuild gasket.
I'll have no use of those parts because I'm converting my auto to manual too! I may sell those parts for cheap next trip in US

Finding part locally is a pain in the ass, so i'm ordering everything from US and i'm hoping that there will be no missing parts.

Good luck!

Last edited:

eddieval5

forum member
Reaction score
Good Luck recently did mine a few weeks ago. I recommend picking up a manual PCM and engine/trans harness from the same model year.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Good Luck recently did mine a few weeks ago. I recommend picking up a manual PCM and engine/trans harness from the same model year.

I was going to mention this too. There can be all kinds of tuning issues when the computer is expecting changes and none occur.

The best bet is too find someone doing a swap from a stick to an auto and asked them to do a straight up swap.

My 07 started with a TR3650 in it. I used to race just about every week all year long. I replaced the clutch twice and the pilot bearing like 15 fucking times. I put in another 3650 after mine blew up at 45,000 miles. That one only lasted 5,000 miles. Replaced it with a TR6060 for a GT 500 and I broke the input shaft on that the first day at the track. It had 1,500 miles on it.

After that I did a conversion to a 5r55s. Went through 2 of those before I sold the car.

I guess the jest of the story is... manual or auto, they break. Don't think because you are swapping to an auto that your trans problems will be gone.

I don't know if you race or not, but I ran .5 seconds faster on my 1/4 mile ET by doing nothing but switching to an auto.

However, a stick is WAY more fun to drive on the street. All 3 of my other Mustangs don't get raced... they are street only and they are all manual trans cars.

Good luck with the swap. I am sure you will have fun driving it and you will earn some pride too.

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
sorry about your trans, mine broke 2 days before yours!! Bad luck for us!
I was still able to drive mine, but it made a weird loud sound, like bad bearing.
Did you inspect your transmission to check which part is broken?
Here is a pic of my O/D planetary gears and rings....too bad! Also my input shaft is twisted.
9ba20f79735348d8cf967d10a226239f_zps3b1ddd58.jpg

7602159768af0c2d90758841b6b904d3_zpsa2313304.jpg

Sad thing is my trans broke before my trip to US so i didn't had time to pull everything out to check dammaged parts, so i bought a tci torque converter, hardened input shaft and a new oil pump with rebuild gasket.
I'll have no use of those parts because I'm converting my auto to manual too! I may sell those parts for cheap next trip in US

Finding part locally is a pain in the ass, so i'm ordering everything from US and i'm hoping that there will be no missing parts.

Good luck!

Damn, that is crazy.. I can't wait to get mine pulled and apart to take some pictures and see if the dealership was serious or just trying to pull one over on me. That sucks getting parts over there is such an impossible task!

My buddy Pat did this swap a little over 1.5 years ago and kept his auto harness and pcm and his tuner knew exactly what to do. Took 4-5 remote tunes and it was dialed in (his is whippled on 12lbs). I know the tuner knows his stuff, he's done several local cars that I personally know and never had any drivability issues.

I was going to mention this too. There can be all kinds of tuning issues when the computer is expecting changes and none occur.

The best bet is too find someone doing a swap from a stick to an auto and asked them to do a straight up swap.

My 07 started with a TR3650 in it. I used to race just about every week all year long. I replaced the clutch twice and the pilot bearing like 15 fucking times. I put in another 3650 after mine blew up at 45,000 miles. That one only lasted 5,000 miles. Replaced it with a TR6060 for a GT 500 and I broke the input shaft on that the first day at the track. It had 1,500 miles on it.

After that I did a conversion to a 5r55s. Went through 2 of those before I sold the car.

I guess the jest of the story is... manual or auto, they break. Don't think because you are swapping to an auto that your trans problems will be gone.

I don't know if you race or not, but I ran .5 seconds faster on my 1/4 mile ET by doing nothing but switching to an auto.

However, a stick is WAY more fun to drive on the street. All 3 of my other Mustangs don't get raced... they are street only and they are all manual trans cars.

Good luck with the swap. I am sure you will have fun driving it and you will earn some pride too.

I used to race my GT with the stock 5r55s. Gave it hell for 90k miles and she had over 200 track passes down the 1/4 mile. I have retired those days, I just want a more fun street car. I ride my streetbike 99% of the time b/c I love having full control and shifting. Automatic is boring if you aren't drag racing with high horsepower. Thanks man, I can't wait to start ripping into the car once I get all the parts.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Cool... Sounds like the manual is the way to go for you for sure.

Looking forward to updates as it progresses.

Fox-4

Reaction score
My friend did the same swap with his 05 after the 5r55s crapped itself. He ended up using a boot cover from a fox-body iirc. Everything was pretty straight forward for the install, I believe he was even able to use the same pcm too.

sent from my CS

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
Cool... Sounds like the manual is the way to go for you for sure.

Looking forward to updates as it progresses.
For sure, I am beyond excited. Just not sure about what clutch to use.

My friend did the same swap with his 05 after the 5r55s crapped itself. He ended up using a boot cover from a fox-body iirc. Everything was pretty straight forward for the install, I believe he was even able to use the same pcm too.

sent from my CS
Hmm, really? that is interesting. Ask him for me.
Subscribed :thumb::kill:
:beerchug2:

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
Need some input on clutches as this is my first clutch change/upgrade.

I want something that is a slightly heavier pedal than stock, I want it to handle a good 500ft lbs even though I am only putting down 320rwtq, I am looking ahead for the future mods.. It is a daily driver so the biggest thing is drivability. What brands should I stay away from? I know mcleod is amazing but currently don't have that kind of money. I just want the car back up and running.. I was looking for like $400 to be the maximum limit.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The transmission shop by me put a cheap 'stock replacement' in for me and it shattered on my 4th pass down the drag strip. The shop owner claimed to be my friend and was supposedly doing me a favor but my stock clutch was already gone in the trash and he fought me on getting my money back. Can't recall the brand name but it's a common aftermarket brand sold through the auto parts stores.

Third was an Exedy Mach 500. I was going for overkill and it worked awesome but the pedal was too heavy for me. It also engaged all the way down almost to the floor so it was a lot of work shifting gears. After 4 months I was ready to sell the car because I hated driving it. I ended up buying the T56 transmission instead. My signature picture was one of my first passes with the Exedy. It grabbed great and yanked the front wheels up.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I tried a few brands myself. The one I liked the most was the SPEC 3+. It is a hard on/off, but it will hold solid under the most aggressive acceleration I could throw at it. Had a spec three in the car with the TR6060 and the input shaft broke before the clutch slipped.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
I was so close to doing the auto to manual swap, but all the research I did showed that no one figured out how to get the cruise control to work after the swap. Do you have a plan for that?

Back