62 mm TB worth it?

vxr500

forum member
Reaction score
On a mostly stock 2010? I have an Airaid race cai, canned 93 SCT tune, and pypes axle back.

Will I feel a difference? Will the throttle response be noticeably better?

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nope, the stock throttle body moves a lot more air than even a heads/cam/intake/ headers 3v 4.6 can move. Only time you'll gain real power with a throttle body on these cars is if you are feeding a positive displacement blower.

As for throttle response, a tune will have a much more dramatic effect on this.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nope. Get a better tune

vxr500

forum member
Reaction score
Kinda what I figured. The stock tb is getting a little funky-hesitation for the first minute or so of driving, so I guess I’ll get a stock replacement

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Do not force it open, take it off and clean it that way but do not push on the throttle blades.

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do not force it open, take it off and clean it that way but do not push on the throttle blades.
Where did this statement originate from? I have done that plenty of times and not had any issues on any drive by wire vehicle that I have had.

hockeygod

forum member
Reaction score
You won't notice a difference at all. Even once you go FI I doubt you would notice an actual difference other than some small Dyno numbers changing. I have cleaned my other 3v throttle bodies without any issue.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Where did this statement originate from? I have done that plenty of times and not had any issues on any drive by wire vehicle that I have had.
Its all over. In fact a member on here broke his tb by doing that not too long ago. After he cleaned it he started having issues with the tb motor not opening properly.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
We also breezed over how the OP concluded a dirty TB must be the cause of hesitation for the first minute of driving. Would like to know more.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
On a mostly stock 2010? I have an Airaid race cai, canned 93 SCT tune, and pypes axle back.

Will I feel a difference? Will the throttle response be noticeably better?

Don't bother. The only times you'd ever need a 62mm TB are if you either add forced induction, or do a N/A build with upgraded heads/cams/intake manifold.
As others have mentioned, a good tune will sharpen the throttle response and the stock TB will provide all the airflow your engine could possibly need at this stage.

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its all over. In fact a member on here broke his tb by doing that not too long ago. After he cleaned it he started having issues with the tb motor not opening properly.
There is a difference between scratching your ass and ripping it wide open. Manually opening your throttle body without doing something stupid won't hurt it.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
There is a difference between scratching your ass and ripping it wide open. Manually opening your throttle body without doing something stupid won't hurt it.
That could be, Ive never even tried it myself. Im just passing along what Ive read elsewhere. Im not saying you are wrong I was just passing on some friendly advice Ive read over and over.

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That could be, Ive never even tried it myself. Im just passing along what Ive read elsewhere. Im not saying you are wrong I was just passing on some friendly advice Ive read over and over.
Small piece of advice, don't believe everything you read on the internet. If you don't know first hand, don't pass it on as there is a lot of bullshit out there.

vxr500

forum member
Reaction score
We also breezed over how the OP concluded a dirty TB must be the cause of hesitation for the first minute of driving. Would like to know more.

Long story short, I replaced the tb I had with a used stock one off eBay. I bought the car used with a 62 mm tb (unbeknownst to me). It was causing an erratic idle and a thumping noise. I cleaned it and the maf, but it continued. When I put the stock used one on, I had no more issues for a month...until now with the hesitation.

So now I’m looking at either a new stock 55 mm or that GMS 62 on the AM site

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Watch out when getting any tuner to tweak the tune for.....'better throttle response'. 'Better throttle response' usually implies a more touchy, almost light switch type throttle response. Tuner's will typ do this to provide the end user the illusion of....'more power' . " I barely blow on the gas pedal, and it takes off". All they have done is changed the throttle body response mapping in the tune. I hate that type of response myself, too touchy for a DD..esp with a blower involved.

Unless you have a Blower, centri or PD type, don't bother with the twin 62mm. I have a 2010 auto, with small Roush M90 blower, LT's, hi-flow cats and twin 62mm..and a 94 tune. The oem airbox on the 2010 is the best of all the airboxs, flows 800 cfm with the oem paper panel air filter..and aprx 20% more with the K+N panel filter..good up to aprx 500 rwhp. Above that the open cone filter is required.

On a NA 2010, the oem twin 55 TB is more than ample. Justin @ VMP was getting 650 rwhp years ago, from his GT-500..with the oem twin 60mm supplied TB. The next size up on the GT-500 is the polished twin 65mm.

Unless you have FI, don't mess with the twin 62mm, you will see zero improvement, it's a nice piece of eye candy..and that's it. Put the $$$ into something useful.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back