6R80 in my 05

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Baumann hosted more info on the controller .. Priced at $1249 is a little cheaper than I figured.

14590144_1244879005577261_1893766297718503466_o.jpg

Sonny08GT

Reaction score
I just finished up the transmission install. I'm using a stock cooler and lines ( would like to change this). I also used a 2011 shifter as I bought all of it as a package. It angles up in the back and is a little longer so some trimming is required. I need to get a bezel as its unfinished as is. Im supposed to get a controller somewhere around the 11th. I'll definitely post some feedback for you guys.
Thanks Mike
Did you have to massage the trans tunnel any or did it fit ok?

Thanks

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
Did you have to massage the trans tunnel any or did it fit ok?

Thanks

I had already massaged it for the 4R70, but it shouldn't need it for a 6R80 since it came in the S197 chassis.

Also to update, I'm still waiting on the controller, but my harness will be here Tuesday. They are hoping to get the controller out this week too.

Thanks Mike

Sonny08GT

Reaction score
I had already massaged it for the 4R70, but it shouldn't need it for a 6R80 since it came in the S197 chassis.

Also to update, I'm still waiting on the controller, but my harness will be here Tuesday. They are hoping to get the controller out this week too.

Thanks Mike
Good to know that it should fit. I guess I need to get a 11-14 trans crossmember glad you posted that as I wasn't sure about that. I hope my drive shaft will be ok but we have s shop close by that can modify it if needed. I am planning on using a TCI Outlaw that has 2 buttons for the manu shift mode. Hope to have the cable and linkage worked by tomorrow. Still waiting to hear from Karl as to when I can get the controller.

Thanks

Sonny

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
I swapped my handle to the 13-14 select shift, but I'm not expecting much out of it. I'm doing it for spirited driving pretty much. As far as the controllers go I think they are a touch behind. They said they were tweaking a few things before sending it out to me.
Thanks Mike

forum member
Reaction score
I swapped my handle to the 13-14 select shift, ...

So the 13-14 shifter handle fits the 11-12 shifter?
Are you using the stock 6r80 converter?
Thanks for the information.

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
It fits the shifter, but the wiring will be custom. Hopefully it will work as planned and I can add that info here.

I'm using a Circle D converter.

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
What rpm stall on the Circle D converter?

It was with the trans when I bought it and if memory serves me right it's a 2B which is 3200-3400 rpms. I asked Chris about possibly restalling it, but he thought being behind a 5.4 (vs 5.0) it might be pretty close. I decided to try it first and see.

Sonny08GT

Reaction score
It was with the trans when I bought it and if memory serves me right it's a 2B which is 3200-3400 rpms. I asked Chris about possibly restalling it, but he thought being behind a 5.4 (vs 5.0) it might be pretty close. I decided to try it first and see.
I spoke to Baumann today and they are running a little behind but should have the controllers for beta testing any day. I know it has been a long time coming but coming from a manufacturing and R&D business I understand that it takes as long as it takes to get a product to market I am confident this will be worth the wait.

Did get a mention on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/USShift/posts/1295347037197124

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
I know they're excited to get the product out as much as we're excited to have it. I've waited this long so what's a few weeks gonna hurt. The only bad thing is the weather has changed here and my car is "sunny days only".

Sonny08GT

Reaction score
I know they're excited to get the product out as much as we're excited to have it. I've waited this long so what's a few weeks gonna hurt. The only bad thing is the weather has changed here and my car is "sunny days only".
Ya I know what you mean I have the same concerns about weather I'm just a little northwest of St. Louis. It's sunny here this morning but with the wind chill it's 8 degrees. My car still has heat and AC but will cold temperatures affect tuning etc.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Power by the Hour has a couple kits out and working great. I am going this route with the Lightning which will get a Coyote with a 6R80. We are also about to swap a 6R80 in buddies GT500 making about 900rwhp on E85 with the PBH set up. It uses a 13-14 computer so you can hook up the manual shifting if you want. It is an extra $1000 over the Baumann controller but you get all the stock computer tables to tune it with.
http://pbhperformance.com/shop/pbh-6r80-control-pack/

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
Power by the Hour has a couple kits out and working great. I am going this route with the Lightning which will get a Coyote with a 6R80. We are also about to swap a 6R80 in buddies GT500 making about 900rwhp on E85 with the PBH set up. It uses a 13-14 computer so you can hook up the manual shifting if you want. It is an extra $1000 over the Baumann controller but you get all the stock computer tables to tune it with.
http://pbhperformance.com/shop/pbh-6r80-control-pack/

Yep I looked into and almost went that route. In my case I was going to loose my factory gauges, have to replace my engine harness to a 2011+ GT500, plus have to repin/rewire it, and the fuel system had to run at 58 psi. The cost was just too much for my project. However it is a good kit and they definitely didn't mind talking about everything with you. If you're doing a coyote 6r80 swap then it's definitely a good way to go.

What year Lightning? I'm wanting to put a Coyote in my 01 someday too.
Thanks Mike

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yep I looked into and almost went that route. In my case I was going to loose my factory gauges, have to replace my engine harness to a 2011+ GT500, plus have to repin/rewire it, and the fuel system had to run at 58 psi. The cost was just too much for my project. However it is a good kit and they definitely didn't mind talking about everything with you. If you're doing a coyote 6r80 swap then it's definitely a good way to go.

What year Lightning? I'm wanting to put a Coyote in my 01 someday too.

Thanks Mike

Sonny08GT

Reaction score
Hi Mike did you also install the front K frame supports on the transmission? I just talked to a place that has the crossmember and he says I will need both front and rear mounts.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm going to give this swap a try. I am a Manual to Automatic swap rookie so I need some guidance.

Car is an 09 GT with a powerhouse turbo kit and will have a forged stock stroke 4.6L (Cobra crank, H-beams, Diamond Pistons, cams, springs, etc...)

Can you guys help me with my parts list?

Here is what I can think of:

Transmission
(have one lined up from a 2wd 5.0L F150)

Converter
(transmission has the stock one with it, might as well get a better one now Circle D seem to be the go to)

Shifter (I would like to use an OEM 05-09 one from Tasca)

Shifter Cable (would 2011+ be best?)

Driveshaft (11+ Aluminum, haven't decided on which one)

Cooler and Lines (Stock Coyote? Aftermarket?)

Coyote SFI Flexplate (I have an 8 bolt Cobra crank)

Auto Pedals (Stock 05-09)

Controller and Wiring harness (Quick 6, obviously)

11-14 Transmission crossmember

What else do I need? I imagine I'll need various brackets, hardware, etc...

Can I use my stock speed sensor? I'll also need to do my research on making a neutral safety switch work along with a bunch of other things.

Last edited:

forum member
Reaction score
I am in the process of doing the same.
As for the 6R80 itself, I am pretty sure that the only difference between the 2011-2014 6r80 from a 5.0 Mustang and 5.0 F150 is the case. The F150 case does not have the bosses to mount the stock shift cable from the Mustang. Although I can't confirm it, I am told the output flange on 2015 6r80's is different making using a stock or stock replacement driveshaft a custom option.
You'll need the starer index plate (plate that goes between engine and transmission).
I am going to try the 2005-9 shifter and 2011 cable.
You will need the rear transmission mount.
The Baumann Quick 6 has a speedo signal generator that should work for 2005-09 clusters.
Neutral safety gets wired to the controller.
Baumann has the owner's manual on their website.

I'm going to give this swap a try. I am a Manual to Automatic swap rookie so I need some guidance.

Car is an 09 GT with a powerhouse turbo kit and will have a forged stock stroke 4.6L (Cobra crank, H-beams, Diamond Pistons, cams, springs, etc...)

Can you guys help me with my parts list?

Here is what I can think of:

Transmission
(have one lined up from a 2wd 5.0L F150)

Converter
(transmission has the stock one with it, might as well get a better one now Circle D seem to be the go to)

Shifter (I would like to use an OEM 05-09 one from Tasca)

Shifter Cable (would 2011+ be best?)

Driveshaft (11+ Aluminum, haven't decided on which one)

Cooler and Lines (Stock Coyote? Aftermarket?)

Coyote SFI Flexplate (I have an 8 bolt Cobra crank)

Auto Pedals (Stock 05-09)

Controller and Wiring harness (Quick 6, obviously)

11-14 Transmission crossmember

What else do I need? I imagine I'll need various brackets, hardware, etc...

Can I use my stock speed sensor? I'll also need to do my research on making a neutral safety switch work along with a bunch of other things.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of doing the same.
As for the 6R80 itself, I am pretty sure that the only difference between the 2011-2014 6r80 from a 5.0 Mustang and 5.0 F150 is the case. The F150 case does not have the bosses to mount the stock shift cable from the Mustang. Although I can't confirm it, I am told the output flange on 2015 6r80's is different making using a stock or stock replacement driveshaft a custom option.
You'll need the starer index plate (plate that goes between engine and transmission).
I am going to try the 2005-9 shifter and 2011 cable.
You will need the rear transmission mount.
The Baumann Quick 6 has a speedo signal generator that should work for 2005-09 clusters.
Neutral safety gets wired to the controller.
Baumann has the owner's manual on their website.

Thank you! The trans is from a 2013 F150. Forgot about the starter index plate, anyone know where to find one? Google failed me

forum member
Reaction score
...anyone know where to find one...

Good question. I can't find one on Tasca's site. I was waiting until I had the controller in my hand before I made the order with Steve. He has been very helpful and I bet he could get you the part number. I think I want to use the Coyote plate because I don't know if the 3v or 2v plates will work with the 6r80.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back