86's VMP 1.9/Forged Build

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
During my build I was fortunate enough to come across a GT500 owner who had an extra fuel pump. He had previously had some issues which he thought were caused by a bad fuel pump so he bought a new one from Ford. The new pump came with the complete harness. Obviously he didn't use the new harness and just swapped out the pump. Well, his issues were not resolved which meant the old pump was fine. I bought his old pump (25K miles) and the new wiring harness at a very good price.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Bought the 127300 cams from Jim III. Saved a few bucks.

I don't want to run phaser limiters for a few different reasons, going to pick up a fresh set of 26113 springs.

How horrible terrible and wretched is the valve spring job with the engine in situ, really? Should I bother putting the cams in this spring, before I take the engine out to build it? I'm not sure I'd notice the 30 hp. Or the lope.

Tried some different search terms, this thread here is what you need to read when considering spring and cam changes with the engine in place - in case someone comes across my thread while hunting around:

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122804&highlight=valve+spring+install

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone have any opinions on what I can run for boost with the stock catted H in place, on 91 fuel?

Was planning on using the 69mm pulley, which would be over 12 psi. This might be optimistic, meaning I either switch to 94 (ethanol blended) fuel for which I have availability issues, or go with a 75mm pulley and 10.x psi, or at best a 72 pulley which would be around 12.

I graph my actual boost (8.5 psi with a 82mm pulley) vs. vmp's testing and it is a linear curve, and they tested the 72. This was on sqwerl's car which may have not had catalysts, but probably had stock headers.

46addict

Reaction score
Going with 127350 cams and the 26113 springs, after reading 10000 threads from BruceH, etc.. I'm picking up the springs right away. I'll get some photos as I dismantle the engine and heads. Going to clean up the valves at my father in law's place as his garage is already heated. Just remove the carbon, check the valve faces and seats, and put things back together with fresh seals.

Do people usually machine the cylinder head faces before bolting them back on? I have not noticed. I think as long as they are straight and clean I can just re-assemble with new factory gaskets and head bolts.
Did you decide to bolt the heads on without any decking or machine work, or no?
I am planning this same route and wondered if I can get away with doing this. I understand precision measurements can go a long way but if it's not needed then that's money I can spend elsewhere.

Anyone have any opinions on what I can run for boost with the stock catted H in place, on 91 fuel?
On stock compression and 91 octane, 15-16psi seems to be the norm from what I see here and DOB's FAQ.
Is there a reason why you chose the 127300 cams over the 127350? The latter is more boost oriented from what I understand. To answer your question from earlier, cams won't make a difference at lower boost levels. I dynoed at 429/380 at 9psi with hot rod cams, and I doubt the numbers would have been much lower with stock cams.

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
300's are basically the same, also work well with blowers and I got a deal on them. I'm mostly hoping to lower boost by .5 or 1 psi, to help keep IAT's under control as I'm dealing with a somewhat compromised system. Luckily the weather plays to my favor here, it is rarely over 80F.

I need to revisit the dob faq, I was remembering it favoring the 5.0.

I'm doing as little work as possible re: the deck, valves, and I am afraid of doing a valve job as I am not convinced that the stock valvetrain can adequately deal with a taller stem height. Can shave the stems I guess but you keep chasing the dragon. Provided I go with the 2618 pistons I am not expecting these fresh bores and slugs to outlive the valvetrain even if I don't do much to it. I am seeing a 40k mile to 80k mile lifespan in the field, and the car won't be driven much.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Images fixed. Here we go. It was -30F this morning, yesterday was just warm enough to get started. When it's cold, I'll make plans or do other stuff, when it's warm (enough,) I'll be turning bolts and breaking plastic parts.

tGCkoVL.jpg

2p2N5Q2.jpg

s569dO0.jpg

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I only got half as many gaskets as I thought I would from Tasca, so I thought I'd add some on to my rock auto order. Now I have some garbage to send to the landfill. Reinz 2 layers vs. Ford 3. Just FYI.

ctrl-r resizes these for me, if they are enormous.

Reinz
moVl1Gq.jpg

Ford
zQt44M1.jpg

Ford Top
wIr9JN4.jpg

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Stock - stock pistons.

Are those images loading as gigantic for you? Man, it's going to be a pain in the ass to resize everything.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, all browsers are probably different. ctrl-shift-reload = fixed. I resized them all, and figured out how to fix it in the future.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm writing the names of the helpful forum members who sell me stuff onto the parts. That way when they fail, I can know who I can get ahold of for warranty.

HextRpd.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back