87 octane on 93 tune

LOUTH3413

Reaction score
I put 87 octane not paying attention. the car has a 93 tune. I made it about 6 blocks and the car shut off -it would start but not stay running after limping home. I reinstalled the stock tune it ran good for a few minutes and a code came up air -fuel and then check engine light and lost power. i have a full tank of gas 87 octane .. i did add octane booster and now it wont start ... i dont have the stock intake to put back on. any ideas??? besides watch what fuel you put in...

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I'd say you got a bad tank of gas. The car should run fine with 87 as long as you don't run it hard. It might spark knock a little but it should not have quit running.

LOUTH3413

Reaction score
i tried to get gas out you cant go thru the gas filler no go there is the car that sensitive that it wont run?

50tbrd88

forum member
Reaction score
I have run 87 and 89 in my Silverado with a 93 octane tune before (93 can be hard to find around here sometimes). It has always run just fine.

I'd 2nd what BAKnBLK2010 said, you must have got some shit gas.

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
I put 87 octane not paying attention. the car has a 93 tune. I made it about 6 blocks and the car shut off -it would start but not stay running after limping home. I reinstalled the stock tune it ran good for a few minutes and a code came up air -fuel and then check engine light and lost power. i have a full tank of gas 87 octane .. i did add octane booster and now it wont start ... i dont have the stock intake to put back on. any ideas??? besides watch what fuel you put in...

Don't you have a Pro-Charger on that car?

steveespo

forum member
Reaction score
What mods do you have? If you have a bigger CAI tube where the Mass air meter is then the stock tune will not have a clue how much air the motor is pulling in and put you into limp mode. Disconnect the battery for 4 hours and put the 93 mod tune back in, add another can of 104 Octane boost and as much 93 as you can and run the car gently for the tank, at half tank top it off again with 93. Best I can think of short of draning the tank which is a PIA

LOUTH3413

Reaction score
i went out and tapped on the module in the trunk that runs the fuel pump it started right up took it for a ride - felt fine think the problem has been found may need a new module or check the wires tomorrow this may of been my problem last week when car would not run...thanks for your help

LOUTH3413

Reaction score
i went back to steeda cold air and 93 steet tune its a different tune then the procharger tune

LOUTH3413

Reaction score
steveespo I agree with you about the intake and the limp mode...thats why i put the 93 tune back in..thanks

50tbrd88

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds like you may have this figured out. I just bought a diablosport predator programmer and installed the 93 octane performance tune. I had about 1/2 tank of 89 in the car and while it did spark knock a little under heavy acceleration, it ran fine.

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like bad gas if it won't run at all. Should drive like normal under normal driving no matter what gas you are running.

Disconnect the battery for 4 hours

What the hell would disconnecting the battery for 4 hours do? lol

steveespo

forum member
Reaction score
Louth3413, You're welcome.

Disconnecting the battery clears all the adaptive tuning programs that the ECU creates when a new flash tune or battery change happens. By disconnecting it will clear the EPROMs and he will have a fresh slate when reinstalling the correct tune for his configuration. After installing tune should follow procedure outlined on page 279 of the Owners manual.
Steve

SlowA$$5.0

Banned
Reaction score
Louth3413, You're welcome.

Disconnecting the battery clears all the adaptive tuning programs that the ECU creates when a new flash tune or battery change happens. By disconnecting it will clear the EPROMs and he will have a fresh slate when reinstalling the correct tune for his configuration. After installing tune should follow procedure outlined on page 279 of the Owners manual.
Steve

It takes about 5 minutes, not 4 hours.

Whocares05050

forum member
Reaction score
lmao at whoever waits 4 hours stranded with their battery disconnected to reset the ecu. disconnect the negative terminal, take a piss inside, go back outside and reconect the negative terminal, start the car and let it idle for 8 minutes.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back