A little design help?

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
As some of you may know, I'm a very laid-back, low-key type, and while I have a firm grasp on the mechanical plan for my 'stang, I'm just a little bit clueless about appearance mods, specifically in the body department... I'm starting with an externally stock 2006 Satin Silver coupe, and I want to start differentiating it from the crowd, but without SCREAMING it, if you follow... I want to keep the look eclectic, yet still coherent, if that makes any sense. My initial thoughts are as follows:

Roush front fascia, without the lip spoiler. This fascia seems to have the most room inside for toys (brake ducts, oil, trans, and PS coolers) from the short list of Roush, Saleen, and Steeda, PLUS, it has a killer look to it. Aggressive, but not overly so, with NO rice quotient.

GT/CS rear fascia: dark grey diffuser area, the rest body-colored.

The other things I want to change are the hood and the rear spoiler, but I'm really not too sure which way to go with them.

Rear spoiler: I'm really torn between the GT500 wing and the Roush wing. The GT500 wing may be too much of the same for the back of the car, as I'm not trying to do a clone project. OTOH, the Roush wing looks a little tacked-on to me, but not too bad.

Hood: Here's where I'm really stumped. I want/need functionality in terms of lowering the underhood temps, so at first blush, the Steeda cowl wins it. OTOH, the entire back of the cowl is open, and looks like it would be a dirt and water magnet. This is for a daily-driver, and I do like to keep my engine bay clean, so... The other idea is a KR-style hood, or the Steeda street hood. The KR to me just looks bad-ass, but all the aftermarket hoods seem to have heat vents towards the rear that look like trouble. I have no idea how much, if any cooling benefit I'll get from the Steeda street hood. Maybe I'll use the Steeda race hood, and work up some vent-flaps off a vacuum servo...

One of the reasons that I'm trying to stick with OE or recognised aftermarket whole-car builders is to try to keep potential mods points down for road-race classifications, by using the model-year updating/backdating thing. I don't know if it will work, but the parts we're talking about aren't exactly wind-tunnel designed pieces, so I think it could be argued that they are stock equivalents. A 3D concepts piece, on the other hand is a definate aftermarket addition. If anybody from NASA, SCCA, MC, or other sanctioning bodies would like to chime in, that would be appreciated!

I'd like to invite any and all thoughts that you all may have, in terms of design coherency or opinions, as long as they don't involve washboard spoilers, "Type R" stickers, exhaust by Maxwell House, or undercar neon.

The only exterior mods to date are a set of Flowmasters out back, BMR suspension to drop the car and even out the rake, and a set of Liquid Metal "Static" rims with Nitto meats, in the GT500 sizes

Sorry for the text turning into a link... I have no idea how that happened!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd like to invite any and all thoughts that you all may have, in terms of design coherency or opinions, as long as they don't involve washboard spoilers, "Type R" stickers, exhaust by Maxwell House, or undercar neon.
Well fuck.. i'm out.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Don: Thanks, I appreciate that... how did you fix it? I looked all over the thing for HTML tags, or anything else that wasn't text, and couldn't find anything off kilter...

Hawg: Yer killin' me... ;-)

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you really want to look "eclectic", you're going to have to stick with what you like - mix and match. Personally, I like the look of the V6 front ends. But don't copy me, that's delurker's job.

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I want to keep the look eclectic, yet still coherent, if that makes any sense.

huh.gif
Sense?
what.gif
Hell, I'll have to look up "ecletic" first to see if it makes sense...

That sentence is kind of familiar. It is like something my shrink would say....

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
1st of all, if you do the Roush front fascia, make sure you don't leave off the underside of the unit...I've seen some cars that leave that underside panel off and it just makes it looked tacked on...in fact it almost smell of rice like that...but otherwise, the Roush is a good choice. Something else you might consider is simply adding the GT500-style splitter to the stock fascia...looks killer and understated IMHO....if I didn't have a CS, that's what I'd do...and if I'd seen that piece before I bought my car...I might have opetn for a non CS GT.

Good choice on the GT500/CS rear bumper/diffuser. Suggestion: If you do the GT500-style splitter with the stock bumper cover, you could get black rocker panels, and do the CS/GT500 rear bumper with the black or grey all the way around, and get all the pieces (splitter/rockers/CS/GT500 rear) to match in color. Finally, on the rear spoiler I'd go with the GT500 one over the Roush...this will keep your car OEM-looking, yet different.

However, this may prove to be too close to cloning for you...which I understand and in addition doesn't fill Merriam-Webster's definition of eclectic: "composed of elements drawn from various sources".

So in juxtaposition of what I suggested above, you could do the Saleen front, GT500 CS rear fascia w/grey diffuser, Roush spoiler (painted to match the grey of the CS/GT500 diffuser), rear blackout panel also painted to match the spoiler & diffuser, and rocker panels, also painted to match the grey from the other bits. It would be tasteful, not overdone, and meet the requirements of "eclectic". Also, the bits are basically all OEM, bits that come as OEM on cars sold at Ford dealerships....Saleen, Ford, Roush...so it should have no effect on your points classification

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
1st of all, if you do the Roush front fascia, make sure you don't leave off the underside of the unit...I've seen some cars that leave that underside panel off and it just makes it looked tacked on...in fact it almost smell of rice like that...but otherwise, the Roush is a good choice. Something else you might consider is simply adding the GT500-style splitter to the stock fascia...looks killer and understated IMHO....if I didn't have a CS, that's what I'd do...and if I'd seen that piece before I bought my car...I might have opetn for a non CS GT.

Just checking to make sure, but the "underside panel" you're referring to is the belly pan/splash shield and not the lip spoiler, right? I'm leaning towards either the Steeda or Roush fascias for the frontal surface area and mounting room for coolers, so I think the GT500 splitter is out for me...

Good choice on the GT500/CS rear bumper/diffuser. Suggestion: If you do the GT500-style splitter with the stock bumper cover, you could get black rocker panels, and do the CS/GT500 rear bumper with the black or grey all the way around, and get all the pieces (splitter/rockers/CS/GT500 rear) to match in color. Finally, on the rear spoiler I'd go with the GT500 one over the Roush...this will keep your car OEM-looking, yet different.

Interesting idea! The only think I would worry about with the grey, however, is that it's sooooo close to the silver I have now, that the difference could look like just a bad paint job. Black for the diffuser would definately be hip, and I would have to play with photoshop to see what the spoiler and rockers would look like... My initial thought is to go flat black in the diffuser area, and maybe shoot the bottom half of the rockers (after the rockers start to roll under the car) a matching flat black...

However, this may prove to be too close to cloning for you...which I understand and in addition doesn't fill Merriam-Webster's definition of eclectic: "composed of elements drawn from various sources".

So in juxtaposition of what I suggested above, you could do the Saleen front, GT500 CS rear fascia w/grey diffuser, Roush spoiler (painted to match the grey of the CS/GT500 diffuser), rear blackout panel also painted to match the spoiler & diffuser, and rocker panels, also painted to match the grey from the other bits. It would be tasteful, not overdone, and meet the requirements of "eclectic". Also, the bits are basically all OEM, bits that come as OEM on cars sold at Ford dealerships....Saleen, Ford, Roush...so it should have no effect on your points classification

Outstanding, and thank you! This bears some photoshop work, I think! Also, congrats on your citizenship, and you DO have a better grasp of the language than most of the natural-born!

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A couple of things more I wanted to add...the Saleen fron with the stock grill/foglights is unusual, and eclectic, and IMHO would lookk good...I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want the foglights...

Also, as far as the hood is concerned, you could do the Chip Foose hood, which is aluminum and quite exclusive, or the Saleen hood with the vents...the hoods with a high cowl create an obstacle to your visibility....

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Also, as far as the hood is concerned, you could do the Chip Foose hood, which is aluminum and quite exclusive, ..

the Foose hood is a very nice high quality hood but it doesn't have the heat extraction vents and it's pretty expensive.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Thanks! High school in Scotland and college in NY are probably responsible for that...

Ahh.. so you have a REAL appreciation for "a people divided by a common language!" Bonus points to any non-limey that can source the quote!

05Turbo: You're absolutely right, without some cooling benefit, the Foose hood is a non-starter. It really gets STOOPID hot under there...

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ahh.. so you have a REAL appreciation for "a people divided by a common language!" Bonus points to any non-limey that can source the quote!
George Bernard Shaw...

Had a clerk at a hardware store, when I asked for a "small torch" (for melting shrink tube), asked "do you mean flashlight"...

Good chuckle from that one...

I am liking the no plastic shield look ont he headlights... Don't care for the rest of that bumper, and it won't really matter on a black car - but for other colors that is interesting...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back