Air oil separator

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
A small amount of piston ring blow-by is almost inevitable on a boosted set up, so just install a catch can on the passenger side and you should be good since you already have one on the driver's side with a check valve.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Okay, i'll go ahead and purchase a catch can for the passenger side. In the meantime, thanks for all your feedback and support :waytogo:

Bad Horsie

Reaction score
I'm running the JLT catch can. seems to catch quite a bit of oil. it is mounted on drivers side. set up is N/A CAI with a tune that's it. I road race the car and so far do not have any complaints and run mobile 1 5w30.
If i'm missing something feel free to let me know.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Correct. The driver's side PCV will discharge much more than the passenger side on the 3V. You are thinking of the Coyote 5.0L engine where the passenger side valve cover is the primary PCV.

Either way, they say that both should be sent to a Oil Separator when supercharged, which is what the OP asked about.

OP,
The 3 port AOS is likely not ideal. One of the PCVs on the valve covers is valved which requires vacuum to open, and I would be concerned the non-valved side would reduce the amount of vacuum available to open the one side. I have always seen one for the driver's and one for the passenger's side.
Wrong. Only the drivers side even when supercharged on a 4.6L 3V.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Wrong. Only the drivers side even when supercharged on a 4.6L 3V.

I think that depends on the type of supercharger set up. A twin screw or roots type blower will operate as intended. A centri will build pressure in the manifold and not allow the pcv valve to open all of the time and when that happens the flow does go in reverse if enough crank case pressure is built up. The solution to that would be the oil cap breather with the check valve.

I'm just glad I don't deal with any of that. One of the first things I did to my car was to delete the PVC system all together.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I think that depends on the type of supercharger set up. A twin screw or roots type blower will operate as intended. A centri will build pressure in the manifold and not allow the pcv valve to open all of the time and when that happens the flow does go in reverse if enough crank case pressure is built up. The solution to that would be the oil cap breather with the check valve.

I'm just glad I don't deal with any of that. One of the first things I did to my car was to delete the PVC system all together.

Although my supercharger is twin screw. I have an integrated one-way check valve inline with my oil separator along with the C.F.M billet oil cap breather which also includes a built-in one-way check valve. Both are used for added protection from the crankcase pressurizing when vacuum is not present at the manifold while under WOT and boosted conditions.

Last edited:

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Bringing this one back to the top.

I have a KB supercharged 4.6 with a Moroso catch can on the driver's side (see pic). The can has no one-way valve, as far as I can tell, as it doesn't matter which side is the inlet and which is the outlet. Do I need one?

The can catches a good about of oil, and the passenger side (no can) is dry with no evidence of oil.

file6-10.jpeg

07 Boss

Reaction score
Bringing this one back to the top.

I have a KB supercharged 4.6 with a Moroso catch can on the driver's side (see pic). The can has no one-way valve, as far as I can tell, as it doesn't matter which side is the inlet and which is the outlet. Do I need one?

The can catches a good about of oil, and the passenger side (no can) is dry with no evidence of oil.

View attachment 71246

You're fine.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Thanks, but can you expound upon that? When is the check valve necessary?
Hi 1950StangJump$,

If I may try to explain..……………….

The usage of a check valve in the PCV system of these engines would be to only ensure 1-way flow direction thru the PCV system.

By design the TB creates proper PCV airflow direction\circulation thru engine CC due to the air flow pressure drop (or deltaP...low pressure to vacuum) across the TB blades while engine is running as long as the TB blades are at some open angle less than 100% open (not full open or parallel to air flow direction thru TB). Ford ensures this doesn't happen in the PCM as the PCM commands the TB independent of the APP pedal command (your accelerator pedal) so the TB will only fully open to a net max of 82% open travel when the APP pedal command is commanding a max of 96% open travel (this is @ WOT....anything over 96% open pedal travel command is seen in the PCM as a throttle error & will set a DTC code & put the engine in safe mode & close the TB blades...the wrench light in IC) so that the TB will always create an airflow pressure drop across the blades to ensure proper PCV airflow circulation and direction thru engine CC is maintained at all engine operating RPM's (so the TB never opens the blades to full 100% or parallel to airflow passing thru it) regardless of commanded accelerator pedal travel.

This is necessary info to understand how the PCV system as designed on these cars actually works to then answer your question. If curious all this info can be found in the Ford Workshop Manual for these cars (which is stickied at the top of this forum section if interested).

So when using supercharging concerning the PCV system, the Roots\TVS type supercharging (such as the Kenne Bell set up you have) doesn't need a check valve installed in the PCV system (which is what 07 Boss is referring to) as they retain the full OEM design of air induction thru the TB (all inlet airflow is drawn thru the TB blades at all times at low pressure creating a vacuum downstream of the TB) thus the OEM PCV airflow operation. It won't hurt to install a check valve w\ these type superchargers as long as the installed check valve's flow direction allows the normal airflow path thru the PCV system but is it necessary....no.

Now when either centrifugal or turbo supercharging is used they require the use of a PCV inline check valve between the PCV outlet port off driver side valve cover where the internal PCV valve resides & intake manifold inlet port downstream of the TB to prevent air back flow (or reverse recycling) thru the PCV system thus engine CC due to the intake tract downstream of the blowers (which will include the TB & intake manifold) being under positive air pressure when boost is applied so the engine doesn't lose boost pressure to the cylinders but more importantly the engine's CC isn't pressurized while boosted. But since the normal outlet path for the PCV air flow circulation is now closed off by boost pressure against the inline check valve the engine CC will vent any CC blow-by gasses back thru the PCV passenger side valve cover inlet port into the inlet side (low pressure) of the PCV system upstream of the centri\turbo system. Once these systems are returned from a boosted state (or bypassed thru a bypass valve or BOV) the inline check valve will then open as the TB will now be creating the normal deltaP thru it (low pressure\vacuum) allowing the normal PCV airflow direction back thru the engine CC & into the intake manifold.

All this info is presumed on maintaining the normal engine's OEM designed PCV system operation intact as originally designed by Ford...………...

Hope this helps you out.

Last edited:

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Wow. That is a very complicated description of a PCV system that did not come on my 2010 GT.
The PCV check valve is built into the left valve cover. It allows air to exit the valve cover through a tube and enter the intake manifold plenum behind the throttle body. This air does not travel through the throttle blades, ever. Cylinder blow by gasses and oil mist exit the crank case through this single point under normal conditions. If the left side vent system is overwhelmed (on a 3 valve) air will flow out the right side valve cover, through a tube connected to the clean air duct or air cleaner.
The biggest problem I have seen with this system is it flows so freely it carries a lot of oil out of the crank case. It does not just vent the gasses out of the crank case. The Delta P behind the throttle body is so strong it pulls air From the clean air duct into the right valve cover, through the crank case and out the left valve cover and directly into the intake manifold. That is why the intake manifold is nasty inside and something to be concerned about when boost is added.

07 Boss

Reaction score
You know you can just avoid all this crap and run breathers. I've been running breathers on a majority of all the cars I've owned since the '70's.

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Hi 1950StangJump$,

If I may try to explain..……………….

The usage of a check valve in the PCV system of these engines would be to only ensure 1-way flow direction thru the PCV system.

By design the TB creates proper PCV airflow direction\circulation thru engine CC due to the air flow pressure drop (or deltaP...low pressure to vacuum) across the TB blades while engine is running as long as the TB blades are at some open angle less than 100% open (not full open or parallel to air flow direction thru TB). Ford ensures this doesn't happen in the PCM as the PCM commands the TB independent of the APP pedal command (your accelerator pedal) so the TB will only fully open to a net max of 82% open travel when the APP pedal command is commanding a max of 96% open travel (this is @ WOT....anything over 96% open pedal travel command is seen in the PCM as a throttle error & will set a DTC code & put the engine in safe mode & close the TB blades...the wrench light in IC) so that the TB will always create an airflow pressure drop across the blades to ensure proper PCV airflow circulation and direction thru engine CC is maintained at all engine operating RPM's (so the TB never opens the blades to full 100% or parallel to airflow passing thru it) regardless of commanded accelerator pedal travel.

This is necessary info to understand how the PCV system as designed on these cars actually works to then answer your question. If curious all this info can be found in the Ford Workshop Manual for these cars (which is stickied at the top of this forum section if interested).

So when using supercharging concerning the PCV system, the Roots\TVS type supercharging (such as the Kenne Bell set up you have) doesn't need a check valve installed in the PCV system (which is what 07 Boss is referring to) as they retain the full OEM design of air induction thru the TB (all inlet airflow is drawn thru the TB blades at all times at low pressure creating a vacuum downstream of the TB) thus the OEM PCV airflow operation. It won't hurt to install a check valve w\ these type superchargers as long as the installed check valve's flow direction allows the normal airflow path thru the PCV system but is it necessary....no.

Now when either centrifugal or turbo supercharging is used they require the use of a PCV inline check valve between the PCV outlet port off driver side valve cover where the internal PCV valve resides & intake manifold inlet port downstream of the TB to prevent air back flow (or reverse recycling) thru the PCV system thus engine CC due to the intake tract downstream of the blowers (which will include the TB & intake manifold) being under positive air pressure when boost is applied so the engine doesn't lose boost pressure to the cylinders but more importantly the engine's CC isn't pressurized while boosted. But since the normal outlet path for the PCV air flow circulation is now closed off by boost pressure against the inline check valve the engine CC will vent any CC blow-by gasses back thru the PCV passenger side valve cover inlet port into the inlet side (low pressure) of the PCV system upstream of the centri\turbo system. Once these systems are returned from a boosted state (or bypassed thru a bypass valve or BOV) the inline check valve will then open as the TB will now be creating the normal deltaP thru it (low pressure\vacuum) allowing the normal PCV airflow direction back thru the engine CC & into the intake manifold.

All this info is presumed on maintaining the normal engine's OEM designed PCV system operation intact as originally designed by Ford...………...

Hope this helps you out.

Thanks!

Rick Simons

Reaction score
Personally I've been wondering why such a large hose is used on the PVC side, when the fresh air side is only 3/8" +/-.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
The reason, there is no PCV port/valve on the passenger side, but rather only on the driver's side for the 4.6L 3 valve motors. The passenger side is designed for fresh air only.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back