All Motor Chat - High Gearing, Light weight, Revin to the moon-

Wicked97

forum member
Reaction score
MR Danner have you ever used Fuel the world's E85?

I did a quick test end of last year on the roller. I knew I would max out the stock injectors but I went for it anyway. First time I used any E85 (We don't have any at the pumps here)

Left the timing the same, Dropped the air fuel down to 11.8. Picked up 13Hp I let go around 6700 when the injectors had enough. I was pretty amazed to pick up that much that easy. The FTW has a bunch of additives compared to normal E85 from what I hear. Just wondering if you have ever used it? Or tested pump E85?

Going to give it another shot after slap some Id72's on it and buzz it to 8k

FTW is the shit

We ran it with a complete stock engine in joe's coyote stock car.

Made over 500HP

the drivetrain is really light so we have less loss. Either way once you get it sorted out FTW is an easy 25 over pump or C10

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
These cars putting up these huge dyno numbers, where's the timeslips? Or are these those same cars that are still running 11s? I can assure you my car wouldn't make anywhere near those kind of numbers. I'd probably be more than 75hp short of that unless I played games with the dyno to artificially inflate them.
images

Power by the hour built a Boss 302 with Kooks 1 7/8th long tubes the power by the hour intake a cobra jet intake manifold stage 3 cams and I forget if that was it or not but they made 501 HP through a JLT 110mm style intake and 65mm cobra jet throttle body so I am not sure how inflated the revolution automotive numbers can be if you believe the JLT is about a 10hp restriction and a non super cobra jet throttle body isn't going to flow enough cfms and that is where out of the gains from the cobra jet manifold comes from.

Most time slips I have seen are from just bolt ons with the cobra jet intake on them which didn't really apply here but a lot of guys are running low 11s if they take the time to setup the suspension and with minimal weight loss out of the car.

I am curious what kind of times you guys would have with a max effort N/A build and with guys who put a shit ton of thought and testing into your setups and optimizing your suspension setup.

I did a quick test end of last year on the roller. I knew I would max out the stock injectors but I went for it anyway. First time I used any E85 (We don't have any at the pumps here)

Left the timing the same, Dropped the air fuel down to 11.8. Picked up 13Hp I let go around 6700 when the injectors had enough. I was pretty amazed to pick up that much that easy. The FTW has a bunch of additives compared to normal E85 from what I hear. Just wondering if you have ever used it? Or tested pump E85?

Are you planning on getting the cobra jet pulse ring ad well when you open up the engine?

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
I am curious what kind of times you guys would have with a max effort N/A build and with guys who put a shit ton of thought and testing into your setups and optimizing your suspension setup.

That is a good question. kdanner's Roadrunner setup was a totally stock long block minus the oil pump gears. Other mods were headers, CJ intake and CJ intake tube.

This is the last pass at the track before the car started coming apart for the CJ build:
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1904296&postcount=56

In better weather it would have run .30's at 130+.

I expect when he is done with the CJ stuff his car will run low 10's, high 9's in good weather. Not a street car at that point but would be considered a max N/A effort. Full CJ engine, better trans, more efficient driveline, etc.

On my car I haven't cracked a valve cover and may never do it. I am not sure what direction I will go. If I keep the car and stay N/A I will go with the Boss heads, CJ cams and more than likely increase compression at the same time. Other options are putting the bottle on it like it is and shoot for some 9's. I don't think that is a far stretch by any means.

I "think" it has .60's in it with the recent changes. It's been about .1 quicker in the 1/8th vs. when I ran the 10.87 still using the Boss intake.

Just speculation but I think his car is a solid .3 quicker than what I can produce as it sits. His advantage is less weight, more power.

It's all bench racing until that timeslip shows up. :beerchug2:

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Power by the hour built a Boss 302 with Kooks 1 7/8th long tubes the power by the hour intake a cobra jet intake manifold stage 3 cams and I forget if that was it or not but they made 501 HP through a JLT 110mm style intake and 65mm cobra jet throttle body so I am not sure how inflated the revolution automotive numbers can be if you believe the JLT is about a 10hp restriction and a non super cobra jet throttle body isn't going to flow enough cfms and that is where out of the gains from the cobra jet manifold comes from.

Most time slips I have seen are from just bolt ons with the cobra jet intake on them which didn't really apply here but a lot of guys are running low 11s if they take the time to setup the suspension and with minimal weight loss out of the car.

Are you planning on getting the cobra jet pulse ring ad well when you open up the engine?

Yes. Billet oil pump gears, Pulse ring, Boss Chain tensioners & Alum deep sump pan will all be added.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
FTW is the shit

We ran it with a complete stock engine in joe's coyote stock car.

Made over 500HP

the drivetrain is really light so we have less loss. Either way once you get it sorted out FTW is an easy 25 over pump or C10

Yea I figured once I play with timing and buzz the motor up I could see some more gains. The price of FTW is an arm & a leg though :rant:

Oh btw I can you get me a quote together when you get a moment to have the special gear treatment done on a set of FRPP 4.88's? Like did to my 4.56's? :evillaugh:

Last edited:

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Yes. Billet oil pump gears, Pulse ring, Boss Chain tensioners & Alum deep sump pan will all be added.

There is something to be said about windage. Crank scraper with teflon ends would/should be considered while at it.

Wicked97

forum member
Reaction score
Yea I figured once I play with timing and buzz the motor up I could see some more gains. The price of FTW is an arm & a leg though :rant:

Oh btw I can you get me a quote together when you get a moment to have the special gear treatment done on a set of FRPP 4.88's? Like did to my 4.56's? :evillaugh:

I can get it for you any time

:beer:

Just did 2 sets not that long ago

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score

what is a pulse ring and why would you change it?

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
It's like a flux capacitor and you change it to a better one to get more PPPOOOWWWAAA!! In all honesty I have no clue and I'm curious as well.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Yes, read the part description... where does it go? lol and I still don't know what it does besides increases RPM?

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Last edited:

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, read the part description... where does it go? lol and I still don't know what it does besides increases RPM?

http://newautoaa.blogspot.com/p/distributorless-ignition-system.html

Here you go, it kind of explains the purpose of it. If I recall correctly and am understanding correctly it goes on the back of the engine.

It goes between the flexplate/flywheel and the crank. The CJ trigger wheel is modified in a way to help maintain the integrity of the signal at high RPM.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score

Your numbers seem to jive with mine. I did use FTW purple the last time out, other than that I always run pump E85, which tests 85-90% year round here. I only changed stoich from 9.85 to 9.0 and the data looked good. My best guess comparing everything with the E85 is that it was worth a tenth and 1 MPH. Nice to get a tenth, but worth the cost, no. The car went 10.52 in better air(DA +600') on the pump E85.

I am curious what kind of times you guys would have with a max effort N/A build and with guys who put a shit ton of thought and testing into your setups and optimizing your suspension setup

The current record for NHRA A stock automatic is 9.79. Minimum legal weight for the 13 CJ combo in that class is currently 3122lbs. My intent is to take that record.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Wht sre your guys thoughts on Long Tubes size? I will be going with Kooks Long Tubes so I can keep the side pipes for my Boss, now it seems like the consensus is that the 1 3/4 are best for a N/A engine but is that still the case when you would be going with aftermarket cams and head work?

I'm not certain if the 1 3/4 or the 1 5/8ths would be better for this. I imagine the 1 3/4 would only be a slight bottleneck in the exhaust side but I couldn't say for certain.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Wht sre your guys thoughts on Long Tubes size? I will be going with Kooks Long Tubes so I can keep the side pipes for my Boss, now it seems like the consensus is that the 1 3/4 are best for a N/A engine but is that still the case when you would be going with aftermarket cams and head work?

I'm not certain if the 1 3/4 or the 1 5/8ths would be better for this. I imagine the 1 3/4 would only be a slight bottleneck in the exhaust side but I couldn't say for certain. I would like to have my engine consist of Cobra Jet Intake manifold, SCJ TB, Stage 2 Heads and either Stage 3 cams or custom grind but I am not certain if a step up in Header size is worth it.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score

I'm not certain if the 1 3/4 or the 1 5/8ths would be better for this. I imagine the 1 3/4 would only be a slight bottleneck in the exhaust side but I couldn't say for certain. I would like to have my engine consist of Cobra Jet Intake manifold, SCJ TB, Stage 2 Heads and either Stage 3 cams or custom grind but I am not certain if a step up in Header size is worth it.

Well 1 3/4 is bigger than 1 5/8. I think you mean 1 7/8. The Pypes design is stepped and should be good across the board.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back