Alternator brand recommendations ABS & code P0340

bambam 06

Reaction score
Looking at the reviews, a bunch of guys complained it was about 6 inches shorter than optimum. I suspect they cut it close cause the #4 AWG was only rated for 200 amps up to that length; any longer would require thicker wire for 200 amps. Or, they were making one for multiple models, so there was give and take for each. Or they were just being cheap :)

Will be curious to hear if you have any issues ....
I just measured the OEM cable, it is 42" long so i am good with the PA 48" one. It will be here tomorrow

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
Yea, I'm sure it will be fine. Now that I'm back to getting the 200 amp alternator from PA Performance, I wish I had just gotten the same power cable you bought. But, the other kit is already ordered, so it is what it is.

bambam 06

Reaction score
Yea, I'm sure it will be fine. Now that I'm back to getting the 200 amp alternator from PA Performance, I wish I had just gotten the same power cable you bought. But, the other kit is already ordered, so it is what it is.
Don't sweat it, you are getting a heavy duty one. It will always work.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
I have a very low mile {14k} OEM 6G alternator from my 2007 Saleen for sale. I bought the DOB Denso for mine and I'm just trying to recoup some money. All reasonable offers considered.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1950StangJump$

forum member
Reaction score
If anyone wants my 215 amp Mitsubishi crown Vic alternator, let me know. Brand new — should install fine if you don’t have the Kenne Bell >:.

The isolator is broken, but that gets removed for the Mustang anyway.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
you have a pm on that alt
Still for sale... Ready for supercharged application. One of the two top ears removed.

There is nothing wrong with it. This is an OEM Motorcraft 6G alternator. I just proactively replaced it with the Denso unit from DOB.

Make reasonable offer.
08139b029eb282dd31528e21c1fb88a1.jpg
4eb1bc43169709dd61f8f70b16bc7f93.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

bambam 06

Reaction score
I finally installed the Mitsubishi alternator, had to change the pulley as it was smaller. Other than that there were no problems/working fine.

N2STC

Reaction score
Final update. YES, it was the alternator causing the P0340 code. I was reluctant to $pend the money but glad I did. I bought a new one from Rock auto. Also the ABS warning is gone. I would be happy to advise someone on how to re-solder the joints inside the ABS module. Thanks to all who read/participated in this thread.
-Stan

406guy

Reaction score
Final update. YES, it was the alternator causing the P0340 code. I was reluctant to $pend the money but glad I did. I bought a new one from Rock auto. Also the ABS warning is gone. I would be happy to advise someone on how to re-solder the joints inside the ABS module. Thanks to all who read/participated in this thread.
-Stan
Thanks for the update. Was it fairly easy to change? Did you have to take off the throttle body?

bambam 06

Reaction score
Yes, it has to come off, but i would have taken it off anyway as i wanted to clean it off the engine.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I installed the Salem supercharger on my car in the fall of 2006.
I had numerous alternator failures early on including 3 on long trips.
When running a Saleen Supercharger the alternator is turned around so that the pulley faces the firewall.
The one way pulley is replaced with a conventional one.

My assumption was that since the cooling fan was spinning in the opposite direction the alternator was overheating, leading to a failure.
I began carrying a spare alternator on long trips since an off the shelf unit wouldn’t work unless I could remove the one way pulley with a special socket and find an 8 rib pulley.

When the next alternator failed, number 6 or 7 I swapped it out and brought the failed one home for inspection.
What I found was that the rectifier diode and voltage regulator fasteners were loose. I re-tightened the fasteners and put the same alternator back in the car. It has now been in there for 3 years and it even survived a 3,000 mile road trip to Nashville and back.

N2STC

Reaction score
Update: OEM alternator from Rock Auto worked fine and still is. No more TCS or ABS warnings since I soldered the ABS module solder joints. I'll assist anyone who wants more info on the soldering.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
I bought mine at O'Reilly's auto parts store and haven't had an issue since ( Ultima brand). They carry a lifetime warranty, so if it craps out I get a brand new one ( not a rebuild)....easy enough to change, so I decided to go that route. Good luck.

This right here. Bought a warrantied alternator for a 2010 GT, drilled out the main post ring terminal and reclocked the housing to make it work, super easy.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back