Alternator issue ?

thailand

forum member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Have an issue. Tried to search, but its very possible I'm still confused.

About 6 months ago, I bought a PA Perf alternator, along with the 4 gauge wire kit, because I was getting the dreaded crank code. Installed, the code went away, and all was well.
Last week, my car slowly died driving home from work. After getting it to a safe place, I popped the hood, looked around and "moved" alternator wire. It then caught fire behind the alternator for a second.
After getting home, took the battery out to charge it, and pulled the alternator. Looked at the wires (3 wire connector and main wire) and alternator, but no burn marks, and fusable link didn't look charred.
Hooked it all back up, started the car, now getting a "Check Charging System" message. I also took a multimeter to the alternator wire, and saw no voltage going through it. Fuse 43 is intact as well.
Since I'm not too familiar with the internal voltage regulator, and PCM controlled charging, I was wondering if there was any other troubleshooting I could do. Looks like a new alternator may be in order, but wanted to pick your guys' brains first.

Thanks for reading. Any ideas or similar experiences would be great.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
I threw my PA performance alternator in the trash. It's a piece of shit. Look about 15 pages into my build thread to read all about alternator problems. Check your battery. Frequently the shitty alternator will kill your battery. Then toss that crap and but an O'reilly's guaranteed for life alternator.

thailand

forum member
Reaction score
Just read through your thread Taxman. Great looking car.

Here I thought PA Performance was the way to go. There are a lot of great reviews on here and other forums that I thought it was a must buy Motorcraft replacement. They also have a lifetime warranty, so I'm going to see how well they stand behind their products. I bought the upgraded wire kit, so they really shouldn't be able to shoot me down.

It looked like the issue you found was a bad pulley and belt misalignment. I have no where near the mods you have, so I don't think I need to check that, haha.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Look into a Mitsubishi alternator from the same year crown Victoria police interceptor. You can pick one up at Orileys or autozone with a lifetime warranty. It's a direct bolt in for stock 4.6L mustangs, and puts out 215amps.

thailand

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the idea Dubstep. I am not running a large stereo or anything electrical, so I chose to stick with the original amperage. Oddly enough, on a Eclipse I owned before the Mustang, I never had an alternator issue.

I'm going to see what PA Performance says about a replacement. If they give me any issues, I will definitely post them.

I only spent the extra money, instead of going to Autozone or O'Reilly's, because of the stellar reviews. I bought the alternator in November 2013...almost 400 bucks with the upgraded wire kit. I really thought it was the last alternator I was going to buy...

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
The thing about car electrical systems is that you really can't have too large an alternator. If you do it just doesn't run full field.

The additional capability can solve some issues before they start, but yes, 215amps is WAY overkill for a stock car.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
My problem was parasitic draw that drew the battery down and killed the alternators. The pulley alignment wasn't the issue. That was just the belt squeak that drove me crazy.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
so an 06 crown vic police interceptor will match for our car?

i need to grab one, with my stereo + air compressor kicking on it really doesnt work to well

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
so an 06 crown vic police interceptor will match for our car?

i need to grab one, with my stereo + air compressor kicking on it really doesnt work to well

Yeah that's some good info there.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
The alignment on the Mitsubishi unit is identical to ours.

I'm not sure what year the crown Vic's updated their drivetrain. It may have been earlier than 06, but it was for sure by 08.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
The alignment on the Mitsubishi unit is identical to ours.

I'm not sure what year the crown Vic's updated their drivetrain. It may have been earlier than 06, but it was for sure by 08.

im a little worried about the point where the cable connects to the alternator sticking straight up, seems like it would hit the intake manifold or can it be clocked over?

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
im a little worried about the point where the cable connects to the alternator sticking straight up, seems like it would hit the intake manifold or can it be clocked over?

You mean the wiring connector or the B+ connector?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
You mean the wiring connector or the B+ connector?

tmvyt9K.jpg

thailand

forum member
Reaction score
Well, Just to update...called PA performance. They sent me a UPS label to send the alternator back for testing. They stated I had a lifetime warranty and they would either issue a replacement or do a repair. I'll keep you all informed!

And thanks for the great info.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
I had an issue with my PA after about 2 or 3 months when I installed it. It would work fine until my RPM's went over about 2.5k, then my volt gauge would peg high and I would throw a charging system light. I would have to slow down and it would go back to normal. I sent it to them and they couldn't find anything wrong when they tested it. They said they replaced a couple things in it anyway and I haven' had a problem since. I know they have their issues but it seems they have decent customer service and are usually more than willing to work with people. Hopefully everything is all set when you get it back!

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I tried PA alternator also...the 130 and 200 amp versions and both were junk!!!
My voltage would fluctuate throughout the RPM range.

I now run Performance Distributors Mr AMP alternator...this thing is a beast!!
I track my car on road courses and this thing performs flawlessly!! They also offer it in any color/finish!!

DSC09939_zpsd71bce41.jpg

DSC09937_zps59d2ce37.jpg

DSC09942_zps5fe3c112.jpg

detn8tor

Reaction score
Just received my OEM alternator form the factory and the black plastic was cracked to hell!!
There's got to be something better than this!!!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back