Alternator issue ?

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
To my knowledge, all the interceptor alternators are Mitsubishis.

The case is significantly larger, but for naturally aspirated applications where the alternator hasn't been relocated it'll fit just fine.

You work for Remy? That's where I worked for awhile.

Have you tried using this alternator yet? I got one yesterday and right off the bat the adapter wasn't clockable. It's slotted to only go one way. Well no biggie I took the adapter to the grinding wheel and grinded off the part that stopped it from clocking. Problem number two was the adapter rubs the bottom of the intake even rotated some. You can only rotate one way up until it interferes with the 3 pin connector. Rotating the other way is not possible due to the intake manifold. Problem number three was that the eyelet would have to be drilled out to accept the bigger stud on the adapter. Most issues can be solved but I really don't want to worry about the protrusion rubbing a hole in the bottom of my intake.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Have you tried using this alternator yet? I got one yesterday and right off the bat the adapter wasn't clockable. It's slotted to only go one way. Well no biggie I took the adapter to the grinding wheel and grinded off the part that stopped it from clocking. Problem number two was the adapter rubs the bottom of the intake even rotated some. You can only rotate one way up until it interferes with the 3 pin connector. Rotating the other way is not possible due to the intake manifold. Problem number three was that the eyelet would have to be drilled out to accept the bigger stud on the adapter. Most issues can be solved but I really don't want to worry about the protrusion rubbing a hole in the bottom of my intake.

We never fitted an intake to it. We pulled the intake, checked it on the car for fit on bolt patterns and plugs, then pulled it and ran it on our tester to confirm it wouldn't throw any codes in the vehicle. It was a company alternator, so I never got the chance to really try it out.

I knew the adaptor wasn't clockable, but I wasn't aware it would contact the intake. IIRC the crown Vic's use a similar intake, but there must be a difference to avoid that issue.

Got any pics? I may be able to walk you through some of it if you haven't figured it out already.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Okay. Makes sense now. This must be why my alternator hasn't actually failed yet. I just figured it would soon, as it seems to be a common problem with these cars.

So then why do PA and other aftermarket versions specify '05-'08? Wouldn't they work in a '09/'10 car?

Why would you want to install a 05-08 single phase alternator into a 09-10 car ? The 09-10 cars use a 3 phase alternator. If the 09-10 oem ford ( denso) alternator will fit in the 05-08 cars, then use it. A single phase alternator is fubar, it's a piss poor design.

DevGittinJr

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to install a 05-08 single phase alternator into a 09-10 car ? The 09-10 cars use a 3 phase alternator. If the 09-10 oem ford ( denso) alternator will fit in the 05-08 cars, then use it. A single phase alternator is fubar, it's a piss poor design.

Thanks Captain Obvious.

stanglifemike

aka boostedbanana
Reaction score
SOLVED!

Well, I'm ready for the lashing. Its always the simplest thing, and this time is no different. I retested the ohms in the littelfuse, and guess what...

So replaced the littelfuse and the charging light has gone away, and the battery is holding steady voltage.

This one was due to my lack of being thorough. On the plus side, PA Performance's customer service was very good, and I still needed the new voltage regulator.

Thanks to all for helping and giving me ideas I would have never had. I'm not a big poster, but I soak this stuff up like a sponge. Again, thanks for all the great ideas and troubleshooting!!!

Where is the Littelfuse located?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I ended up getting the crown vic alternator for cheaper than I anticipated. To make it work I simply got rid of the black isolated power extension that would end up hitting the intake and simply used a thick nylon washer and put my eyelet directly on the little stud that's on the back of the alternator. I had to use the nylon washer to isolate the positive cable from grounding out AND the stud isn't threaded all the way like the OE mustang stud. It worked like a champ and now I have a 215AMP mitsu alternator for 115 bucks.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Very nice... If you got it at a local auto part store they usually offer lifetime warranty on it as well

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
I ended up getting the crown vic alternator for cheaper than I anticipated. To make it work I simply got rid of the black isolated power extension that would end up hitting the intake and simply used a thick nylon washer and put my eyelet directly on the little stud that's on the back of the alternator. I had to use the nylon washer to isolate the positive cable from grounding out AND the stud isn't threaded all the way like the OE mustang stud. It worked like a champ and now I have a 215AMP mitsu alternator for 115 bucks.

Pics?

Very nice... If you got it at a local auto part store they usually offer lifetime warranty on it as well

Yep. Even if they're modified lol.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Side by side

2014-08-07_12-38-48_475_zpsace962bd.jpg

With washer

2014-08-07_18-28-52_523_zps8a4ab918.jpg

With eyelet on

2014-08-07_18-53-53_513_zpsd5833ab4.jpg

Done

2014-08-07_18-54-03_869_zpsf820cbd2.jpg

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Have you tested this alternator?

I have read several times that autopart store alternators don't work on our cars...they end up failing. Sure you have lifetime warranty, but is it really worth it to be constantly replacing alternators and being stranded...?

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score

I have read several times that autopart store alternators don't work on our cars...they end up failing. Sure you have lifetime warranty, but is it really worth it to be constantly replacing alternators and being stranded...?

I can't speak for other brands, but I actually worked at the Remy testing facility.

51% of the alternators that are in Autozone, Orielley's, and Advance are Remy alternators.

The test consisted of -40C to over 120C over the course of hours or even days. We "rated" our alternators at operating temperature, not when they're cold. All our stuff was as good or better than OEM ratings. As you can imagine a cold alternator produces A LOT more amps.

The 6G alternator is crap. That Mitsubishi is muuuuuuch better and gonna kick so much ass you're gonna wish you switched sooner.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I've never had a problem with my '08 spec Motorcraft alternator, would buy again A++++

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score

No testing, just running it on the vehicle right now. I'm not overly worried about it failing since it's not a 6G alternator like the factory, it a Mitsubishi.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
For those having recurring alternator issues you should checkout the 3 wire harness between the alternator and the connector on the engine.
Use a test light with a strong bulb such as a headlight.
The reason being is that if the thin wires were stretched or somehow damaged an ohmmeter will not see it while a good current draw either won't light the headlight or fry the wire.
For a time Yates Perfomance was selling the 2005-2006 OEM harness along with the main battery cable with the fusible link still in the Ford box on eBay for $22.
I only bought 1 but I should have bought more.
P/N 6R3Z-14305-AA

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
^ good post. Those wires are also crushed and routed poorly when you have a PD blower kit like so many of us.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back