Amp Location for 2006 Convertible

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
I am replacing the Shaker500 system entirely and will be installing a JL Audio RD900/5 amplifier on my 2006 Mustang GT Convertible. Where is a good location to place this amp, any suggestions?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
trunk, back of the rear seats, since IIRC the seats in the vert do not fold down

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for moving post to the right location -- much appreciated.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
imagen2.dll

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
I assume WSM = workshop manual? Wondering what is part #4 on the diagram?

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
I assume WSM = workshop manual? Wondering what is part #4 on the diagram?
Item 4 is the bracket that mounts the amps to the body quarter panel.

As an aside, i would go with a trunk mount, as the space behind the seats is where the roof retracts into.

Rich

Reaction score
trunk, back of the rear seats, since IIRC the seats in the vert do not fold down
You are correct, they do not fold down but once your remove the upper back seat there is a wide opening into the trunk. Problem is the hydrualic pump sits right in the middle of that space.

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
Rich and Likeaboss TM, you are correct. I just looked back there and all kinds of obstacles for mounting the amp: hydraulic pump, space where top folds in, etc. The hunt for a good place continues.

Rich

Reaction score
Rich and Likeaboss TM, you are correct. I just looked back there and all kinds of obstacles for mounting the amp: hydraulic pump, space where top folds in, etc. The hunt for a good place continues.

The best place to mount it would probably be the trunk tray that sits on the spare tire. It angles at the top so it can fit over the hydraulic pump. Honestly, I can't think of any other place back there. You'd have to use quick disconnects for the wiring in case you needed to remove the trunk tray to get to the spare tire though. There's just not much space in the trunk to begin with and convertibles are even worse off than coupes.

You can always ditch the spare tire and mount it there on some plywood, but then you obviously have no spare tire.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hmm, guess my memory wasn’t as good as I thought, been 10 years since I sold my vert.

nawagner

forum member
Reaction score
Mine are mounted behind the seats with brackets to avoid all the obstacles.

PXL_20210604_041746484.jpg

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
Closing the loop, ended up placing the amp in a similar way as the one above:

a2

a5

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
nice clean install!

So is that against the back seats?

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks folks. The pic is a bit deceiving. I'll try to describe what you see in the pic and what I did, and sorry, did not take additional pics as I was moving along...

-- There is really not much "real estate" to work with if you still want to have access to the spare tire. If you don't care to access the spare or eliminate it from the equation, then there is plenty of room to work with.

-- Not my case. I wanted to have access to the spare, so my choices were limited. Another issue is that I got a rather large amp. 15.5 X 7 X 2 and a bit heavy at that. So mounting it on the sides similar to the Shaker 1000 amp system was a no-go.

-- My choices were really two: place amp against the top portion, where the convertible top folds into or against the back of the back seats--like you see in the pic. Drilling holes against the top portion, although doable, I would not recommend. This means you would need to know exactly where those screws are piercing thru without damaging the convertible top or worst, making a hole in the channel were the water would run and drain on the sides. Yes, you could attempt to disassemble some part of the top as possible back there to get a clear view of where the screws would end up, but for me that was a task I did not want to do.

-- I ended up screwing the amp against the trunk floor wooden cover which angles up toward the back of the back seat area. Oh, by the way, that's another thing, unlike the coupes, the space between the back seat and the trunk is where you find the convertible top motor and all the hydraulic lines and wiring. So, in reality, the amp is not screwed on the back of the back seats, because the back of the back seats is not really there to screw on -- hope this makes sense.

Sorry, for the long write up, hopefully it would help another forum member. :)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back