Another MT-82 goes bust at 4k miles

queenbeeGT

grab her
Reaction score
So I was taking another forum member for a drive this evening, lay into it a bit, wont go into third gear without grinding hard. I then lay off go into fourth......then guess what...NO FIFTH. It will go into 5th, but as soon as I release the clutch it grinds and kicks it out. WTF at 4k miles, I have not even had the car to the track yet and all the miles are highway.

Is it a syncro issue?

So whats the deal now, if I remember correctly another member had this problem. Did they replace the tranny or "fix it"? I am assuming they will have the car atleast 2-3 weeks right?

Should I take off the intake before going to the dealer? Also should i take off the driveshaft since this is a drivetrain related mod?
omg mine did the exact same thing this week only 5th grinds

cpowell5.0

Reaction score
Im taking mine in on friday for the fluid change and for whining 1-4 absolultey no grinding at all. Interesting to see what they will come up with my buddy is the service adviser.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
i wonder if the 6 speed from the MKIV Supra will work in our car? the tranny gear ratios are similar and theyre both a getrag tranny....from what i remember the Supra 6 speeds were pretty stout.

Mustang Mike

Reaction score
The whole problem with the transmission is the thing is made in China and it is junk like many things that come out of China. Henry Ford would roll over in his grave if he knew that. Ford did such a great job on the engine then sticks junk in the All American Pony car. Shame on you Ford. I have a 2007 GT and was looking at the 2011 but until Ford gets this fixed no way.

I hope everyone that has problems gets them fixed. Ford should step on to the plate and demand Gertag replace these units. I do not know how repairing something that is broke will work.

Last edited:

jayman33

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Do you think its possible to have Ford contract with another company like Tremec and replace all transmissions? It would be much, much cheaper than a class action lawsuit or continuing to replace these trans, over and over again. Not only are you paying for the parts but your paying the engineers for the same exact issues.
Just an idea, don't know how possible it may be.

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
omg mine did the exact same thing this week only 5th grinds

This is what mine did..Before it was kicking out of 5th. Then it finally went in with lots grinding. Had to drive 140 miles back home after it started. I was pissed.

I think issue is tranny its self. Not clutch or anything else. Only issue is i have to much wrapped up in this car to trade in on a auto. I will wait and upgrade the tranny once one comes out.

queenbeeGT

grab her
Reaction score
This is what mine did..Before it was kicking out of 5th. Then it finally went in with lots grinding. Had to drive 140 miles back home after it started. I was pissed.

I think issue is tranny its self. Not clutch or anything else. Only issue is i have to much wrapped up in this car to trade in on a auto. I will wait and upgrade the tranny once one comes out.

nice track times btw...you runnin slicks?

Mustang Mike

Reaction score
The 5 speed Tremec in my 2007 Gt has performed like a top and has never missed a lick. Ford should get something going with them to replace the Chinese junk and send the bill to Gertag for the garbage they put out. I contacted Ford Customer Service about these issues and was told the information will be passed on to those involved!

Last edited:

JAY86

forum member
Reaction score

There is suppose to be a package coming out for the 2011+ S197's from Tremec thats all inclusive within a couple months. Its supposedly is going to include a a T56 Magnum transmission, mcleoud clutch of your choice, one piece driveshaft, a pro 5.0 short shifter, all the sensors and stuff to complete the swap. No price or release date yet though.

But I would venture to guess all that will cost somewhere around 4K ? Does that sound about right?

I am really interested in knowing how much something like this might cost in the event Ford screws owners over with faulty drivelines. Im thinking of going the used route maybe at end of this year and save a few bucks that way and just deal with the driveline on my own if i have too.

Last edited:

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
There is suppose to be a package coming out for the 2011+ S197's from Tremec thats all inclusive within a couple months. Its supposedly is going to include a a T56 Magnum transmission, mcleoud clutch of your choice, one piece driveshaft, a pro 5.0 short shifter, all the sensors and stuff to complete the swap. No price or release date yet though.

But I would venture to guess all that will cost somewhere around 4K ? Does that sound about right?

I am really interested in knowing how much something like this might cost in the event Ford screws owners over with faulty drivelines. Im thinking of going the used route maybe at end of this year and save a few bucks that way and just deal with the driveline on my own if i have too.

More like $6,000 - I priced all the parts to do a TKO 600 and it was right at $3,500 less transmission. A T56 Magnum cost's about $2,500 - I would expect it to cost you in the neighborhood of $6k + labor.

The S197 Magnum has a special extra long tail housing that completely eliminates the S197 remote shifter linkage system for a shifter that is mounted directly to the transmission and has all the linkage built into the case.

It will also have all the electronics to keep the new Ford CAN bus system happy and speedo working.

Dont expect to see it until early fall at best.

Last edited:

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
We shouldnt hav to put out 6k for a transmission that works after just putting out 35k for a car.

Says the man with the $5k in bolt ons and wheel upgrades ........ rofl.
But i hear ya, not real happy with mine these days either.

Last edited:

COYO TT

Stangless
Reaction score
Says the man with the $5k in bolt ons and wheel upgrades ........ rofl.
But i hear ya, not real happy with mine these days either.

Yea, I was sitting in bed last night thinking that I could demod and make enough money from it to cover the loss just selling the car to carmax lol.

JAY86

forum member
Reaction score
More like $6,000 - I priced all the parts to do a TKO 600 and it was right at $3,500 less transmission. A T56 Magnum cost's about $2,500 - I would expect it to cost you in the neighborhood of $6k + labor.

The S197 Magnum has a special extra long tail housing that completely eliminates the S197 remote shifter linkage system for a shifter that is mounted directly to the transmission and has all the linkage built into the case.

It will also have all the electronics to keep the new Ford CAN bus system happy and speedo working.

Dont expect to see it until early fall at best.

damn thats too much dough. I figured 5K tops for that conversion with labor. F*ck this, Im not buying a new Mustang unless Ford officially fixes ALL the problems with the drivetrain via TSB. I was getting all ready to order a 2012 at end of this year from the factory but screw that. And im definitely not buying a automatic either.

Not that the TR6060 in the GT500 is a star for a transmission either (1-2 shift problems their aswll but mostly only when cold), but, heck of a lot better apparently then the MT-82 Getrag. Why couldn't Ford just have stuck the TR6060 in the new Mustang and maybe charged a few extra bucks for it.

I guess I might look at a used 2010+ GT500 instead or maybe even a base model used C6 although I really dont think I would be that happy in the C6.

I really loved the new Mustang, but, I cant leave it up to chance that I may or may not get a working transmission after spending 45K on a fully loaded GT.

I feel even worse for the folks already caught up with faulty drivelines and Ford leaving them out to dry. For your average blue collar worker that spends north of 35K+ on a car that doesn't work essentially has to got leave a sick feeling in the stomach.

Last edited:

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
What signals from the MT-82 get fed back in the CAN bus system? I can't imagine there's much (if anything). There's a reverse switch, neutral switch, speedo reluctor, and the skip shift solenoid. I know for a fact that you can simply unplug the skip shift, and it doesn't throw a code or cause issues. I can't imagine that the other three would be tied into the CAN system.

I've been looking into this, because I think I'm going to put a 4R75W into my car, with a Optishift controller.

Travis

jayman33

Official Vendor
Reaction score
My step father is pretty high in the engineering department. I'll chat with him and see if they plan on doing something about this issue. I only have 450 miles, its stock and its already getting a little rough at shifting. It would be alot cheaper to fork over money now or provide an improved transmission rather than having a class action law suit. Seeing how the economy is, I would assume Ford would try to ease the issues and keep it a little more under wraps. Thats just my opinion.

Ray721

Black 06 GT
Reaction score
Getrag is a garbage transmission manufacturer. My shitbox 01 Grand Am had a getrag piece of crap in it. Nothing but problems. I was looking at getting a newer stang but I'll stick with my 06 for a few more years.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back