Another MT-82 goes bust at 4k miles

atistang

forum member
Reaction score
LMAO good one !
but if that dumb skip shift was in the way at the time without a noticed dash light aka small text in the info display for a short time while you are driving !! it could be that if you were forcing . But it should have slid into 4th so i may be grasping at straws on this .. shame too its a nice car

I forgot about skip shift, never noticed it when i drove. Went 1,2,3,4 every time

rodmoe

Reaction score
I forgot about skip shift, never noticed it when i drove. Went 1,2,3,4 every time

Ya so did i till it got me in stop and go traffic where i thought i was in 2nd and it slid it in 4th and traffic stopped . me thinking i was still in 2nd with the 3.73 i figured i could just take off in that gear well guess what it snubbed and cause a bit of concern on my and others part :) to busy driving to notice if the message came on or not. since then no issues but the there is a empty plug on my trany now :) lol

JAY86

forum member
Reaction score
Ford is just as reluctant to fix either one and blame it on the driver lol. The 6060 has its good points, but they didnt use the carbon linings on the 1-2 and 2-3 syncros, they were narrowed some because of the wider gears and it just barely worked on the 2007-2009 cars. Then add the extra weight/friction of the 2010 twin disc and the problem really shows up. Corvettes, challengers and Camaros all have the same problems with the 6060.

RSG and D&D have carbon blockers available and it supposedly fixes the issue, I just refused to rebuild the trans myself on a car I just paid 50K+ for.

But you can get into a 2010 GT500 for around 40K right now, the bottom fell out on the 2010s because the 2011 was a pretty good improvement. 40K is near loaded GT money, if I had a choice of the clean used 2010 GT500 or new loaded GT for nearly the same money I'd take the GT500..

yeah i hear you on everything your saying. And thanks for some of the information... didn't know about aftermarket parts available to fix the issue.

Personally, I remember my 06 GT had a pretty notchy 1-2 shift in the morning as well and I believe that had the TR3650 in it from Tremec. I was pretty damn happy with that transmission. After about 3-5 minutes of driving the 1-2 shift was smooth. That for me is no biggy. If the TR6060 is similar in that sense I would personally be pretty happy with it. I know the common complaint it seems is at higher rpm's or power shifting it seems to reject the 1-2 shift from time to time.

^^^ If thats all thats wrong with it I am more then happy to live with it and maybe rebuild the transmission with some better parts down the road. Maybe when the factory clutch goes rebuild it at the same time. Its still heck of a lot cheaper to rebuild a transmission than having to replace the whole driveline (tranny, clutch, driveshaft, sensors, shifter linkage, etc.).

But I do see your point. Someone who spent 50K on a "sports/muscle car" shouldn't have to deal with this shit. But it would seem all the cars I like, lol, have the TR6060 in them or this mess of a transmission called the MT-82!

Ideally I would like to get a 2011 GT500 with svtpp, elec. pckg and glass roof but would settle for a 2010 GT500 with similar options if the right deal came around. Thats the thing with buying used... you have to settle for colors and options and just go after the "Deals" out their. Which means no glass roof for sure almost. But a good deal is priority one. I was going to spend 44K (Canadian pricing) on a new GT anyways. I have seen low KM 2010 GT500's around for 48-50K here and the rare used 2011 has shown up for around 53-55K. I was gunna order a new GT at this ears end anyways so if it means waiting the same amount of time and finding a 2011 GT500 at that time anywhere under 50k then Ill wait.

I am steering away from the C6 as the shelby is just so much more practical and more daily drivable over the C6. Yes I just called the Shelby practical, LOL! I drive a lot of highway so gas isn't that bad at end of the day and when i do drive in city everything is pretty close by.

I do miss being in a Mustang dearly though and cant wait to get another one.

Last edited:

luillo

forum member
Reaction score
Look at the reply i got from RS Gear

WE ARE BUILDING A MAGNUM UNIT TO REPLACE THE GETRAG U WILL NEED TO MODIFY THE CROSS MEMBER AND DRIVESHAFT
WE BUILD A TRANZILLA MAGNUM STYLE
RATED AT 850FTLBS
RACE READY WITH CARBON RINGS 1-4 BLUE PRINTED THIS TRANS HAS WIDER GEAR TRAIN, LARGER INPUT AND CLUSTER BEARINGS, LARGER 3/4 SYNCHRO WITH CARBON RINGS.

SHIFTER STOCK HOLE LOCATION
QUICK RELEASE SLAVE 349.00
REAR YOKE 31 SPLINE 1350 UJOINT YOKE 169.72
RSG OIL 5QTS 10.55 PER QT WE MAKE OUR OWN OIL

RATIO'S

2.66 1.78 1.30 1.00 .74 .50 OR .80 .63
2.97 2.07 1.43 1.00 .74 .50 OR .80 .63

COST 4395.00

CLOSE RATIO

2.29 1.60 1.21 1.00 .84 .67

COST

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
Spending 5k on a new trans is not an option for very many people who just paid 30-35k for a new car.

Mustang Mike

Reaction score
The bottom line is......Made in China........what is wrong with this coun
try today. What ever happened to made in the good ole USA! What more can you expect from China. Hey Ford you get what you pay for!

Maybe they will do something to correct this soon!

I really do not want an automatic but that may be my only option.

Last edited:

COYO TT

Stangless
Reaction score
Spending 5k on a new trans is not an option for very many people who just paid 30-35k for a new car.

Yea but it comes down to this. Sell my car because it drives like shit and take a 5k loss, or put out the 5k and have a car I love.

While it is not ideal, it is what a lot of people will find necessary to enjoy their cars. It sucks thinking your going to break your car everytime you drive/shift it hard.

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
The bottom line is......Made in China........what is wrong with this coun
try today. What ever happened to made in the good ole USA! What more can you expect from China. Hey Ford you get what you pay for!

Maybe they will do something to correct this soon!

I really do not want an automatic but that may be my only option.

I'm really getting tired of hearing all of this made in China crap. For years we have been buying everything we need and consume on a daily basis and so much of it is made in China or the far east. Everyone loves the low cost of these items and have continued to do so at a pace that makes it easy for companies to outsource the labor and founderies to other countries. Suddenly when it seems to possibly affect them they jump all over the made in the USA bandwaggon. If you really gave a shit, all of the items in your house would be made in the USA and your daily actions would do nothing but support american companies with production solely in the USA. People in the states live at a high level of comfort and if all of these items were sourced in the states the cost of our favorite Mustangs would be out of reach for all of us. I suppose you would expect everyone at a transmission or parts factory to work at minimum wage so you can enjoy a Mustang that you would feel comfortable with because it was made in the USA. Get a grip people. We made this economic/workplace enviroment and there is no comming back from it.

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
Yea but it comes down to this. Sell my car because it drives like shit and take a 5k loss, or put out the 5k and have a car I love.

While it is not ideal, it is what a lot of people will find necessary to enjoy their cars. It sucks thinking your going to break your car everytime you drive/shift it hard.

I'm buying a 2012 next month and I really don't want an auto and I am just going to roll the dice.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
I'm really getting tired of hearing all of this made in China crap. For years we have been buying everything we need and consume on a daily basis and so much of it is made in China or the far east. Everyone loves the low cost of these items and have continued to do so at a pace that makes it easy for companies to outsource the labor and founderies to other countries. Suddenly when it seems to possibly affect them they jump all over the made in the USA bandwaggon. If you really gave a shit, all of the items in your house would be made in the USA and your daily actions would do nothing but support american companies with production solely in the USA. People in the states live at a high level of comfort and if all of these items were sourced in the states the cost of our favorite Mustangs would be out of reach for all of us. I suppose you would expect everyone at a transmission or parts factory to work at minimum wage so you can enjoy a Mustang that you would feel comfortable with because it was made in the USA. Get a grip people. We made this economic/workplace enviroment and there is no comming back from it.

aparently you dont own a 2011 5.0 Manual that has problems like me and probably 10k other people, or you would feel MUCH different Im sure, its VERY frustraiting!!!!! OR you have enough $$ to blow $5k on a new trans after dropping $30k plus on a BRAND new car that allready has drivetrain problems.. I on the otherhand DONT have $5k laying around begging to be spent on a new drivetrain for this brand new car.. I bought this car so i would have DEPENDABLE transportation for 5-6yrs.. what happens after my 6yr 60k mile warranty runs out? guess who is responsible for replacing these parts then?? ME.. someone that doesnt have the extra cash laying around to fix this problem that FORD should just correct now.. but so far hasnt, and i dont think that they will either. dont get me wrong i do LOVE this car, i just really wish that the trans was more reliable. :deadhorse:

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
aparently you dont own a 2011 5.0 Manual that has problems like me and probably 10k other people, or you would feel MUCH different Im sure, its VERY frustraiting!!!!! OR you have enough $$ to blow $5k on a new trans after dropping $30k plus on a BRAND new car that allready has drivetrain problems.. I on the otherhand DONT have $5k laying around begging to be spent on a new drivetrain for this brand new car.. I bought this car so i would have DEPENDABLE transportation for 5-6yrs.. what happens after my 6yr 60k mile warranty runs out? guess who is responsible for replacing these parts then?? ME.. someone that doesnt have the extra cash laying around to fix this problem that FORD should just correct now.. but so far hasnt, and i dont think that they will either. dont get me wrong i do LOVE this car, i just really wish that the trans was more reliable. :deadhorse:

Did you read my post???

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
If you wanted, "DEPENDABLE TRANSPORTATION" you probably shouldn't have modded the hell out of a brand new car, heads, cams, Lt's, intake, and you expect it not to break????? Buy a Focus, please.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
If you wanted, "DEPENDABLE TRANSPORTATION" you probably shouldn't have modded the hell out of a brand new car, heads, cams, Lt's, intake, and you expect it not to break????? Buy a Focus, please.

I might as well have .. as I have to drive it like one.. mods on my car?? lets see CAI, mufflers.. and that is all. sure is "modded the hell out" isnt it??

wait until your 2012 that your buying next month has these same problems, I bet you come here preeching a MUCH different tune when you take your brand new Mustang that is BONE STOCK to Ford to get all these parts replaced, and the YOU start getting the run around... " we cant replicate the problem of the GRINDING in every gear", your brand new sports car is in the shop for a month getting parts replaced (w/ the EXACT same failing parts) yet your still expected to make that payment and drive a rental.

Last edited:

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score

I think the majority of new Mustang owners really don't give a flying fuck where the tranny is made. The ones that are having trouble just want a fucking tranny that works the way it should. Period. For years American auto makers have been contracting with companies that do business overseas and Mexico. It's nothing new but when you run into quality issues like this it turns around and bites them in the ass. And the one who pays in the end is the consumer.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
I think the majority of new Mustang owners really don't give a flying fuck where the tranny is made. The ones that are having trouble just want a fucking tranny that works the way it should. Period. For years American auto makers have been contracting with companies that do business overseas and Mexico. It's nothing new but when you run into quality issues like this it turns around and bites them in the ass.

exactly!!

gtmiller1001

forum member
Reaction score
:thumb:
I think the majority of new Mustang owners really don't give a flying fuck where the tranny is made. The ones that are having trouble just want a fucking tranny that works the way it should. Period. For years American auto makers have been contracting with companies that do business overseas and Mexico. It's nothing new but when you run into quality issues like this it turns around and bites them in the ass. And the one who pays in the end is the consumer.

:thumb:

jayman33

Official Vendor
Reaction score

Why are you bitching about other people bitching? This is a forum that allows Mustang enthusiasts to speak their mind whether it be positive or negative. If it bothers you to read it, well, dont. Right now you're one person going up against at least a couple hundred on the forum saying this is annoying you. Made in China or not, right now it sucks so let us vent. I'm having issues with my trans and my car was bone stock, I however will be forking over the extra coin when I get back on a new trans that will hold up.
Just be a good sport and listen to us bitch.

PBstallis

forum member
Reaction score
i hear ya, I buy american as much as I can, but this isn't the post for this

Reaction score
Update: I have had my new transmission in the car for the past 300+ miles. I got the car back middle last week but didn't want to give an update until i was for sure everything was settled.

When i first got the car the clutch pedal was spongy. Ok, cool. It is a hydraulic clutch so it might need a chance to bleed and build up pressure. 30 minutes or so passed and it felt fine and no grinding or anything of the sort. I got off of the interstate after i picked it up and a slight grind was when i was going to third and the clutch still felt spongy. No problem, i got to going on my country back roads and drove it a little more and no problems whatsoever. Now it's been about 5 days and the car is still shifting great. Still is a tad bit notchy and hard to shift, but that was after i added the steeda tri-ax and the barton shifter bracket. That could be the culprit? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM >.>; Absolutely no out of normal whining except from the point on *AFTER* i installed the shifter and bracket which is normal to an aftermarket shifter. As of now, i am pleased. One thing i find weird is they filled my transmission with the QS fluid, not the QDC. So, i am going to watch the transmission and if i have increasing notchy shifts i will probably fill it with some redline MTL instead of fords thinner viscosity fluid they are doing on the TSB's.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back