Anyone have pinging with tune?

F2Kmech

forum member
Reaction score
I seem to have a quick burst of ping at 4000 rpm at half throttle on my Bama 93 performance and 93 race tune. I've had them revise the race tune 3 times and it still does it. I didn't have it on my first perf tune, but had them increase throttle response on version 2 and now it does it. Has anyone come across this? I plan on trying out the data log function of the SCT when I get time. It sounds like pinging to me, but could it be something else?

Whocares05050

forum member
Reaction score
Evolution tune here. No issues at all.

Dont worry, free tunes for life right? Im sure they'll get it right. lol... / sarcasm

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I had an issue like this once, I switched gas stations.
Issue solved.
Keep working with them or try a different gas station.
Also before you load the tune go into the settings and dial back 1 or 2 degrees of timing in that rpm range and try it out.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Right, because there's only one shop in the country that can properly tune this magical engine..

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
If it pings then the tune is hosed, they aren't letting the knock sensors pull out enough timing and/or do it fast enough.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
If it pings then the tune is hosed, they aren't letting the knock sensors pull out enough timing and/or do it fast enough.

You shouldnt be relying on the knock sensor It should only be pulling timing if something bad has happened that is causing detonation where there shouldnt be, like bad gas for instance.
If you set the knock sensor to be super sensitive and pull timing dramatically it will pull timing all the time from bumps in the road and the car will run like dog shit.

I dont know about you guys, but I dont want to drive around on a tune that is pushing the limits of the gas all the time. there should be some amount of conservatism. If a vendor is giving people canned tunes (which is nowhere near ideal to begin with) and people are having detonation problems, that is nothing short of ridiculous.
With modern heads, with their excellent quench, you almost have to TRY to cause detonation, even with 11:1 compression.

F2Kmech

forum member
Reaction score
I've tried 3 different gas stations. All the same. Plus, I went in to pull timing back when reloading it and it only gave me 'global spark' on the SCT. So I set it to -2 and it felt like a slug. I am waiting on a Brenspeed tune to show up in my email to see how that works out.

kdanner

forum member
Reaction score
You shouldnt be relying on the knock sensor It should only be pulling timing if something bad has happened

OK, I guess you've tuned some of these cars yourself and know better, so just disregard what I had to say previously. Carry on.

fiveoh

forum member
Reaction score
FYI I thought mine was pinging between 2500-3000 rpms... figured out my trim around the shifter was vibrating and making a sound that sounded exactly like pinging. I'm not saying yours isnt pinging just throwing that out there.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
OK, I guess you've tuned some of these cars yourself and know better, so just disregard what I had to say previously. Carry on.

Im not saying youre wrong really, Im just saying that it shouldnt be a problem in the first place.

assasinator

1000hp turbo 4v
Reaction score
i had to pull tim ing from my tune. i pulled 5 degrees till i ran a tank of gas through it. when i filled up the next time i readded the timing and never another problem. it was the gas.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
If a vendor is giving people canned tunes (which is nowhere near ideal to begin with) and people are having detonation problems, that is nothing short of ridiculous.

You say "giving people" like it's widespread from them.
All our engine react differently to tunes, he can just work with the tuner to fix it no need to bash a shop who's been doing awesome work on 3v's for years. i've run bama and AM tunes with no problems for a long time.

and also from dyno tests most of the canned tunes are actually spot on, so not sure what you are talking about there.
2hgtrhy.png

that's 3 tunes from 3 different vendors, all spot on and they have never physically touched my car.
How is that possible?

Last edited:

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
I had problems with 2 Brenspeed race tunes not allowing the car run at idle and extreme misfire. On the 3rd time they backed off the timing and that solved the problem. All of these tuners are extremely competitive with the performance of their tunes and not all of these canned tunes work well with every pcm strategy. Mine is VXT3. If you run into the same problem with Brenspeed as me this will help.

F2Kmech

forum member
Reaction score
I had problems with 2 Brenspeed race tunes not allowing the car run at idle and extreme misfire. On the 3rd time they backed off the timing and that solved the problem. All of these tuners are extremely competitive with the performance of their tunes and not all of these canned tunes work well with every pcm strategy. Mine is VXT3. If you run into the same problem with Brenspeed as me this will help.

That is my code, too. Hopefully I wont have the same issue. Thanks.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back