Anyone have pinging with tune?

linnE

forum member
Reaction score
I seem to have a quick burst of ping at 4000 rpm at half throttle on my Bama 93 performance and 93 race tune. I've had them revise the race tune 3 times and it still does it. I didn't have it on my first perf tune, but had them increase throttle response on version 2 and now it does it. Has anyone come across this? I plan on trying out the data log function of the SCT when I get time. It sounds like pinging to me, but could it be something else?

do datalogs so your tuner can see what is going on..without datalogs and AF readings any recommendation is going to be based on speculation..

linnE

forum member
Reaction score
that's 3 tunes from 3 different vendors, all spot on and they have never physically touched my car.
How is that possible?

it is possible because of the advancement of the technology available to the end user..datalogging is the key .. way back when Rick first started to tune.. none of this was available to the end user.. they had to rely on the tools of the tuners to get data..but now with the datalogging capabilities of the hand helds and affordable portable wide bands.. all that data can be sent back to the tuners and the tunes can be dialed in remotely..

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I was being a bit sarcastic there but yes, I haven't had to do one data log in my years of canned tunes.

linnE

forum member
Reaction score
I've tried 3 different gas stations. All the same. Plus, I went in to pull timing back when reloading it and it only gave me 'global spark' on the SCT. So I set it to -2 and it felt like a slug. I am waiting on a Brenspeed tune to show up in my email to see how that works out.

we are only about an hour and a half from you..located in Anderson SC

linnE

forum member
Reaction score
I was being a bit sarcastic there but yes, I haven't had to do one data log in my years of canned tunes.

you didnt even check the AF? if you didnt datalog how do you know it was the best it could be?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Because we put it on the dyno and read the AF's from all the canned tunes there.
The dyno operater said he wouldn't even be able to find any more power and the tunes are spot on.
http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44400
I believe all tunes were 12.8 to 13.1 on the A/F

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Yea, I was a bit surprised that they were all so close even though they all feel a bit different.

linnE

forum member
Reaction score
we dont do "canned" tunes..we offer custom tuning..each tune is made specifically for your vehicle with the mods you have.. we send out a preliminary tune ..then dial it in remotely by using datalogs and AF readings..unlimited tunes,unlimited support and free revisions for as long as you own the vehicle

I think you will find that most of the top tuners are going to be very close to ech other with the tune results..and you just have to find the tuner you are most comfortable working with for your tuning needs

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Well to start the "sniffer" wideband used on dynos are not very accurate, hence why you always see ridiculous scaling to cover this fact up.
If they know your mods they can obviously get it pretty close, and yes they should dyno pretty close to each other, but that does not mean that the AFRs are spot on.
Without datalogging and sending the info back to the company to get them to update it, its not a "tune", its just a "basemap".

Thats besides the point.
The point is there is something messed up if youre getting detonation, either bad gas, or the engine is getting lean (maybe because its not actually tuned?)
Like I said, with modern cylinder heads at moderate compression (yes, 11:1 is moderate) you usually have to be doing something absurd with the ignition timing to induce detonation, there will typically be a loss of power before the detonation threshold is found. So, I reeeeeally doubt theyre selling tunes with ignition timing that is so aggressive that it is pushing the limitations of the fuel. The problem is somewhere else.

There is no replacement for a real tune on your car.

fdjizm,
If you thought I was bashing the company, you totally misunderstood my post.

Last edited:

linnE

forum member
Reaction score
Well to start the "sniffer" wideband used on dynos are not very accurate, hence why you always see ridiculous scaling to cover this fact up.
If they know your mods they can obviously get it pretty close, and yes they should dyno pretty close to each other, but that does not mean that the AFRs are spot on.
Without datalogging and sending the info back to the company to get them to update it, its not a "tune", its just a "basemap".

Thats besides the point.
The point is there is something messed up if youre getting detonation, either bad gas, or the engine is getting lean (maybe because its not actually tuned?)
Like I said, with modern cylinder heads at moderate compression (yes, 11:1 is moderate) you usually have to be doing something absurd with the ignition timing to induce detonation, there will typically be a loss of power before the detonation threshold is found. So, I reeeeeally doubt theyre selling tunes with ignition timing that is so aggressive that it is pushing the limitations of the fuel. The problem is somewhere else.

There is no replacement for a real tune on your car.

fdjizm,
If you thought I was bashing the company, you totally misunderstood my post.

that is true.. a sniffer can be off ..it has to be properly maintained which alot of the time they are not..even a portable WB has to be properly calibrated or it is inaccurate

we have a Mustang dyno..it didnt come with a tailpipe sniffer ..we use our own wide band for the AF readings to make sure they are accurate

a real tune can be done by doing street runs and getting datalogs and AF readings back to your tuner for those who want to work via email..it is a viable option for those who dont have access to a dyno tuner they trust

Last edited:

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
Chris Rose @ American Muscle is a great tuner. I'm sure he can get that fixed for you. I'd also try and change the location of where you get your fuel from too. Worth a try.

F2Kmech

forum member
Reaction score
Chris Rose @ American Muscle is a great tuner. I'm sure he can get that fixed for you. I'd also try and change the location of where you get your fuel from too. Worth a try.

I had some time so I talked to Dan at Bama who has sent me a couple more revised tunes. He seemed confident that this will fix it (fingers crossed).

I have used three different gas stations of two different brands. May try another brand altogether and see what happens. Thanks for everyones input so far.

linnE

forum member
Reaction score
I've looked at your site and may come down sometime this year. What is a dyno tune running?

since you already have a hand help tuner .. $499 for dyno time,datalogging and tuning time and our custom tuning option which is unlimited tunes,unlimited support and free revisions for as long as you own the vehicle no matter what you add to your set up

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm that me be something to look into.
I didn't know that mine is FPAN0U4/RYA1.

AMChrisRose

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I had some time so I talked to Dan at Bama who has sent me a couple more revised tunes. He seemed confident that this will fix it (fingers crossed).

I have used three different gas stations of two different brands. May try another brand altogether and see what happens. Thanks for everyones input so far.

Report back and let us know what happens. We're not overly aggressive on timing, so is it possible that you might have filled up your tank around when you tried this second tune version?

-----

Johnny Z, what up? I'm gonna call you guys on Monday about that Paxton deal Chris was talking about.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back