Anyone have stock ecu file for 2006 Mustang V8 automatic ?

Eagleee

Reaction score
Tuner tuned my car and it is trash with 1000 issues, asked him to return the car to stock after a month and he says he lost the file. If anyone could share the stock file, I could give it a try. Using HP tuners.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you need to know the strategy code from your ECU

07 Boss

Reaction score
Have you tried the HP forum? I think you might have better luck there if you don’t have the strategy code.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Have you tried the HP forum? I think you might have better luck there if you don’t have the strategy code.
......this.......if OP truly has ownership of a HP Tuners MPVI, MPVI Pro, MPVI2, MPVI2+ or MPVI3 interface then should also have an account on HP Tuners web site (need it to register\program interface) which also provides free access to HP Tuner's tune repository where all stock or "stock" tune files that tuners send in to HP Tuners for storage on repository for this very reason.......unless OP is referring to the discontinued HP Tuners NGauge as his "tuning" device........then OP is hosed unless someone has a copy of the same MY, engine\trans loadout OEM tune calibration file that also has the same OEM ECU OS\strategy code embedded in it (NGauge files use a different file format--the OEM Ford calibration .stk file format).

FYI.......using HP Tuners MPVI interface & VCM Suite software, you don't necessarily need to know the tune OS\strategy code (that's to ID the OS\firmware used in the particular OEM ECU or OEM ECU class used in vehicle) as long as the OEM tune calibration file copy used to rebuild\restore is for the same OEM ECU class (Spanish Oaks, Copperhead, etc.). All OP then needs to do is to read out the tune calibration file in his car so VCM Editor software can read\modify\save\write it (MPVI interface performs the tune calibration file format translation from the OEM Ford .stk format to HP Tuners .hpt format), then set up the OEM tune calibration file copy for same MY, same engine\trans loadout as his car has (has to be already translated to .hpt format so VCM Editor software can read it--as all tune calibration files loaded in HP Tuner's web site tune repository are already translated.....software will not allow a tune calibration file copy that is set up in Compare to be modified\altered....only read\copied) in VCM Editor's Compare feature (compares tune calibration file read out of OEM ECU-the blue file icon which can be modified\saved\written-to OEM stock tune calibration file copy-the red file icon which can only be read\copied-so you can ID\see which settings in the read-out car's tune calibration file were changed from the OEM stock tune calibration file copy thru a color-coded ID system, then easily copy the settings from the OEM stock tune calibration copy back into the read-out tune calibration file to rebuild the car's tune calibration file back to OEM stock settings then save\write new corrected\restored OEM tune calibration file back into OEM ECU using the OEM ECU's same OS\strategy (the calibration tune file that was read out of OEM ECU still has all that intact) thus strategy code isn't necessary in this case & tune calibration file is rebuilt back to same MY, same engine\trans loadout OEM stock settings prior any tune setting modifications made. This is all dependent of course on the OEM stock tune calibration file copy used being a genuine OEM factory stock copy. Ford used the same base OEM stock tune calibration file in all 05-10 MY Spanish Oaks Tri-Core OEM ECUs for each engine\trans combo used (4.0L manual or auto, 4.6L manual or auto or 5.4L manual) w\ very few changes between the MY's & different models.....so it is also easy to ID any tune calibration file setting changes between 2 different\same MY tune calibration files (set 1 up in Editor as read out, the other as Compare) or any MY's tune calibration file programming that is present in 1 MY's tune calibration file but not present in another MY's tune calibration file just by using VCM Editor Compare features (green setting box reps setting changes only in same programming between the 2 tune calibration files, grey setting box reps tune calibration setting programming in Compare tune calibration file is non-existent in tune calibration file programming that was read out of OEM ECU, blue box reps no setting changes in same programming between the 2 tune calibration files).

This is how this is done using HP Tuners MPVI interfaces 99.5% of the time........

If using HP Tuners MPVI interface & you need to change a tune's OEM OS\strategy code for any reason (like an OEM ECU swapout\replacement or wanting a special feature(s) that is\are only available thru a specific OS\strategy code for same OEM ECU class), you'll also need to buy new credits to load into the MPVI interface for the different OEM-modified ECU OS\strategy code (this is what the MPVI interface is tied to along w\ VIN & OEM ECU serial # for it to be enabled to read, translate & write tune calibration files out of\into an OEM ECU.....can't use the prior credits bought even if OEM ECU is same class & HP Tuners will not refund costs for credits already bought\used for the OEM OS\strategy code being taken out of service). This can get expensive......why most try to avoid doing an OS\strategy code changeout in an OEM ECU if at all possible using HP Tuners MPVI interface, by using the above-mentioned process thru the VCM Editor's Compare feature.

This is 1 of the strong points of using\owning HP Tuners MPVI interfaces & the VCM Suite (Editor & Scanner) software.

Posted for informational purposes...........

PS edit......went back thru my post & added "OEM" in front of any reference to an ECU to ensure that this software (as well as SCT) system is understood to have been designed to allow access\modifications to an OEM factory vehicle ECU's calibration file, which is why the Fed EPA is on edge concerning their usage (EPA initially holds the vehicle manuf's responsible for emissions compliance on all new vehicles built thru the EPA CoC docs issued to them for each vehicle class built until the new vehicle exceeds the initial emissions warranty period--5 yrs, 50,000 mi for Fed EPA regs & 7 yrs, 70,000 mi for CARB regs that supersede the Fed EPA regs.....thus why the confusion between "certified condition" vs "original condition" & why any aftermarket engine component\device needs either a Fed or CARB certification # for it to be used on a NEW VEHICLE that the initial factory emissions warranty is still in effect. This is why dealerships don't like new vehicles still under initial emissions warranty to have aftermarket engine components installed that don't have either Fed or CARB emissions certification & States that require vehicle emissions certification sometimes take the easy way out by stating these engine components need to meet "original equipment condition" when "certified condition" actually supersedes "original condition" as written in the amended Clean Air Act. Once the initial emissions warranties expire thus the vehicle manuf's are let off the hook....why they have to provide an ample supply of the OEM emissions replacement parts until this time comes....then the only thing that the Fed EPA can actually enforce is the use of a certified aftermarket catalytic converter & nothing else, thus LTH's, TB's, CAI's, IM's, etc are essentially "fair game" on vehicles that have exceeded this initial factory emissions warranty period as all these parts are upstream of the cats, only control or affect engine VE capability thus airmass or exhaust poundage output & the manuf's were the only ones that were mandated by the EPA to maintain supply of actual OEM emission parts but not after initial warranties expire. Most OE-grade Fed\CARB-certified aftermarket cats are actually designed w\ a lot of the latest performance-enhancing tech found in "hi-flow race cats" (but can't be advertised as such by Fed EPA\FTC law) AND are oversized somewhat vs actual OEM cats to allow a much wider range of vehicle coverage w\ fewer parts needed thus do have the overhead capability to cover most FI applications (thus ALL NA engine applications & OEM factory FI applications....) if the amount of boost used is kept within reason...usually between 6-8 psi max & the tuning is on point & not half-assed....boost is only a measure of airmass\exhaust poundage created in excess of 100 kPa or natural atmospheric pressure, thus can LEGALLY pass current emissions threshold levels in place according to MY of vehicle manufacture. The BIG issue w\ the Fed EPA is modding NEW VEHICLES that are still under factory emissions warranty.....not so much vehicles that have this factory emissions warranty EXPIRED unless said vehicle is converted into a "full-on racing vehicle" (meaning the cats have been removed\defeated) while still being registered\driven on Fed hiways\roads & States that haven't kept up with changes in Fed EPA regulations that reflect a lot of this (Jan 1, 2009 changes that quantified the "certified condition" over "original condition" that opened the way for aftermarket cats\emissions devices to be used legally instead of OEM cats as long as they are tested-certified for compliance & there exists a legal reason for OEM cat removal\replacement w\ said certified aftermarket cats (either OEM cats had tested bad\failed or said vehicle found to have had OEM cats removed prior ownership but after initial legal emissions warranty period has expired.....this is all that is legally necessary).

Last edited:

JC SSP

Reaction score
Buddy you should really get into tuning cars for $$$$$$. Great info.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back