Applied Opti Coat 2.0 (Pic heavy)

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
So I decided it was time to get and apply Opti-Coat 2.0 and here is my experience/procedure on applying it.
Opti-Coat is a permanent coating, so proper prep is key to a nice looking finish. Opti-coat seems scary to apply since it is "permanent" but it can always be polished away if it has to be, so why not give it a shot. I watched several videos on how to apply it and what not to do, as well as what to watch for when applying it. Optimum has a great video on their site on how to apply it as well. My initial opinion was that it was sticky. When you try to rub it on the paint, the applicator wants to grab the paint and roll. I applied a little more opti-coat and applied way less pressure and this def seemed to help. They also are not kidding when they say a little goes a long way, it does and can easily be applied to heavy. I still have to do the windshield, rear glass and wheels but wanted to get the paint done first. I used about 7cc's of the 20cc tube so I should have enough to do another car as well.

My procedure:
1 - Foam cannon with CG Citrus wash to help strip the dirt and sealant on the car.
2 - Washed with CG Citrus to get all the remaining dirt off.
3 - Speedy prep towel to rid the paint of contaminants and get a nice smooth surface (Clay baring)
4 - Polished with Menzerna SF4500 (PO85rd) on an Ornage Hydro Tech pad with my Flex 3401 DA. (My paint was in great shape for being 1.5 years old so it did not need a heavy polish or compound, others may need something more aggressive) and I like ho SF4500/PO85rd finishes so there was no need for another step.
5 - IPA wipe down to get the surface as clean as possible and make sure nothing was left on the paint to interfere with the opti-coat's bond.
6 - Apply opti-coat 2.0. (Start in the middle of a panel/roof and work your way outwards, it helps you keep product from building up along the edges and gives you great control on spreading it evenly).
7 - Grab a beer and admire

Before anything - sealed with DG 501/105/601 - beading

Letting the foam run:

Getting taped up:

Making sure the SF4500/PO85rd and orange pad would do the trick:

The next day, opti-coat covered (The sun was not out but tomorrow I can get some sun shots)

Updated:
3rd day - sun shots:
The sun was getting low by the time I got home so the angels are kind of weird but you get the idea

A few with my Brinkmann swirl finder light from the hood, trunk lid and rear quarter panel:

Last edited:

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
superslow86:

Gorgeous! Nice work and thanks for the tips. I'll be doing this in the spring when the current deep freeze is just a memory.

Can Opti-Coat 2.0 be used on plastic trim or taillights? What about the matte plastic (e.g.--the rear bumper license plate area of your GT)?

Thank you. :thumb2:

Chris

Last edited:

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
No problem nyuk98gt, that's why I figured I would start a thread, help pass along tips and share my experience with it. It says opti-coat can be applied to nearly everything. I plan to do my wheels, trim and glass next and will post pics and share my experience as well. I applied it to my head lights, tail lights and all other lights on the car as well and noticed no difference in the appearance so far and will be driving the car tomorrow so I can get a closer look and get back to you but people have put it on lights, glass, trim and wheels with no negative effects. Just remember to get it as clean as possible since it will not be able to be cleaned after you apply the opti coat without removing the opti coat.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
I did my new truck and my fiancés Acura last weekend. Coating a vehicle is definitely a must for a daily driver.

5apuqebe.jpg

edybyme5.jpg

8eryru2y.jpg

05yellowgt

Reaction score
For someone who's WAY TOO LAZY to do this themselves, what might it run me to have a pro detailer apply to say an F150?

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome work Ryan!

Thanks man! I will post some sun shots later today if the sun is out.

For someone who's WAY TOO LAZY to do this themselves, what might it run me to have a pro detailer apply to say an F150?

I have heard of people charging $150-300 to just apply the opti-coat, but you would have to factor in if you wanted a paint correction done first (I would recommend it) and that all depends on your paint condition like 28ONE said. If I had to guess, I would say $500+, but again, that depends on the condition of the paint and how good you want it to look.

Anybody have a code and/or suggestion where to buy that you guys support??
I got mine from Eric @ Autoality - great customer service and fast shipping. If you are apart of the detailers club you also get a discounted price.

28ONE

Reaction score
Dam that looks good! How does the surface feel, is it super slick?

NaS197

forum member
Reaction score
I charge $500 - $700+ to apply said coating to vehicles. The only way to get it off if you mess up is to sand it off. An if you don't put even coats on an are heavy in spots, once it dries it'll become hazy an look terrible

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
You charge 500-700 just to apply? Or does that include paint correction? You can polish off opticoat as well, you don't necessarily need to wetsand. A microfiber cutting pad and a heavy compound will do wonders.

28ONE

Reaction score
i've seen cost to apply OC starting around $300 - does not include paint correction

Back